kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

4 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I think that assumes too much honestly. I could see it increasing tbh. Especially considering there is little to no competition for Avatar 3 and there is immediate competition for Passion 2 in the Michael Jackson biopic

I have less faith in the Michael Jackson biopic.  I don't think his image has improved post-death, and memories are still fresh on how the last decade or so of his life went...

If you sugarcoat it, you piss people off.  If you don't, you have a heavy ick factor.  And if you ignore it entirely, people will be insulted.

It's gonna be a tough needle to thread even with fantastic music, which usually easily sells a movie...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Passion of the Christ sequel next year is gonna be MASSIVE (could be bigger than Deadpool 3 tbh and take the DOM R-rated crown the first film will lose this year)

Please don't make me vomit in my mouth bb

• Like 1

I could type out 10 paragraphs on this…. “Twisters” nailed the assignment in every possible measure. Its explosive opening is well earned and not a surprise to me. Confident it will have strong legs over the next 6 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Passion of the Christ sequel next year is gonna be MASSIVE (could be bigger than Deadpool 3 tbh and take the DOM R-rated crown the first film will lose this year)

No way rural belts alone can drive sales up that high. Film by Noted Anti-Semite Mel Gibson starring QAnon Conspiracy Theorist Jim Caviezel will keep a lot of people away unlike the original film.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I have less faith in the Michael Jackson biopic.  I don't think his image has improved post-death, and memories are still fresh on how the last decade or so of his life went...

If you sugarcoat it, you piss people off.  If you don't, you have a heavy ick factor.  And if you ignore it entirely, people will be insulted.

It's gonna be a tough needle to thread even with fantastic music, which usually easily sells a movie...

People care less about it than you think. His controversies won’t be ignored but it won’t be a huge portion of the film. He was and still is an iconic pop star.  It’s going to be huge movie. 

Edited by babz06

11 hours ago, baumer said:

I've been at these forums for more than 20 years, I was actually one of the original members at box office mojo when they first established the forums. The people here that track movies and the box office, not all of them of course, but there's plenty of members here who probably know more about tracking and budgets and audiences and all kinds of movie minutiae than studio executives or people in Hollywood who are paid to do that stuff. 

And there have been members here who have gone on to work in the industry. And there are members here that do work in the industry. I once had a private conversation with a member here who was in the payroll department for Disney, and he told me that he had just written a check for $10 million dollars to Robert Downey Jr for his appearance in Homecoming.

I don't know this stuff nearly as much as I used to but I will say this just for an example. There was a movie executive that works for Platinum Dunes that I developed an online relationship with years back. He would literally email me and ask me if I have any updated numbers for certain movies that his company had released. I'm not saying that to brag because like I said I don't follow this stuff nearly as much anymore and I don't talk to that executive anymore, but he was familiar with our site and he knew the stuff that we spoke about here and that's why he asked me for any updated info. Don't discount this place just because it's a movie forum. There's lots and lots of knowledgeable people here.

You're right. I probably shouldn't have diminished the work the trackers do. Because they do good work.

But then I'll enter a thread and see someone call YouTube's decision to get rid of public dislikes, "censorship," and it keeps me skeptical of anything people post. Especially when I post here and I know I'm wrong on quite a lot.

I do feel like if Passion 2 were actually happening next April we would've had some confirmation by now from the trades. Not sure it's gonna be the monster everyone is expecting in any case. The resurrection just doesn't seem to have the same kind of deep historical, spiritual and cultural relevance the way the crucifixion does, certainly not to the same extent that my local art museum has an entire gallery devoted to its imagery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I do feel like if Passion 2 were actually happening next April we would've had some confirmation by now from the trades. Not sure it's gonna be the monster everyone is expecting in any case. The resurrection just doesn't seem to have the same kind of deep historical, spiritual and cultural relevance the way the crucifixion does, certainly not to the same extent that my local art museum has an entire gallery devoted to its imagery.

The trailer for Mel Gibson's newest film doesn't even have his name in the trailer, so I definitely don't expect Passion 2, if it ever actually happens, to be a monster by any means.

The "YEAR OF THE SEQUEL" Continues.  Awesome opening day for "Twisters".  Though those Wednesday numbers might skew the previews a little.  So basically 23 True-Fri minus Wed.   I'll be contributing to the Sunday number tomorrow.  I guess the talk of "ID4-R" or "Furiosa" didn't really hold up with a sequel to a beloved blockbuster like "Twister".   Also Disaster films haven't really been lighting it up lately.  It seems audiences were looking for a good disaster flick.   Anything over 60 is icing on the cake so 75 is a great opening. 

I didn't buy the "Maverick" talk but there are some similarities where a Franchise hasn't beat audiences over the head with tons of Sequels. (Though Top Gun had a ton of Video Games, lol).    I also heard early reports of the budget were overstated. But I'll let everyone know what I think about the movie tomorrow.    This was the best case scenario for "Twisters".  If it came in too soft, it would have just been swallowed up next week by Deadpool and Wolvie.   Now I think "Twisters" will be some nice counterprogramming next week.  

Edited by filmscholar

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Think it's a matter of time before they try a new Speed movie. Bring Sandra and Keanu back and don't set it on a cruise ship

They have to go for quantity. 50 buses going 50mph.

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Think it's a matter of time before they try a new Speed movie. Bring Sandra and Keanu back and don't set it on a cruise ship

Still surprised Disney hasn't greenlit this yet. Maybe Sandra is hard to get, but I would think you just need Keanu, and he seems like the kind of guy who would say yes to anything.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

They have to go for quantity. 50 buses going 50mph.

They should bring Jason Patric back and make claim the villain. He's mad that Reeves took Bullock back so he plants bombs on buses.

1 minute ago, Eric Twister said:

Still surprised Disney hasn't greenlit this yet. Maybe Sandra is hard to get, but I would think you just need Keanu, and he seems like the kind of guy who would say yes to anything.

He didn't say yes to Speed 2