Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

48 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The Asian/other number looks whack...Asians are never that high, so I'm curious how high "other" is and if folks have just decided to start saying N/A when it comes to a race question...

Sometimes I think that could be one of the reasons why the Latino audience is so big now. Maybe more people identify like Latino now. 

Many movies with bigger Latino audience don't seem so different from movies with bigger white audience. For example: Deadpool 3 isn't more diverse than previous Deadpool movies, but the Latino audience seem bigger.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

With these massive numbers for DP&W, the R-rated domestic box office record from The Passion of the Christ is locked and loaded.

Which is funny that while both the previous Deadpool movies did way over $300M+, none of them took the highest grossing R-rated DOM crown from Passion ($370.7M), despite them opening bigger. Guess Jesus Christ’s movie was still the box office king of R-rated movies. 👑 

Yet, worldwide….Passion did $612M, which is a gigantic number for a film with a $30M budget. Though both DP1 & DP2 did better with $780M+ WW each.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Sometimes I think that could be one of the reasons why the Latino audience is so big now. Maybe more people identify like Latino now. 

Many movies with bigger Latino audience don't seem so different from movies with bigber white audience. For example: Deadpool 3 isn't more diverse than previous Deadpool movies, but the Latino audience seem biggrr.

Latino audience is definitely big however because those demographic numbers are from Los Angeles I don’t know how accurate they really are overall 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Many movies with bigger Latino audience don't seem so different from movies with bigber white audience. For example: Deadpool 3 isn't more diverse than previous Deadpool movies, but the Latino audience seem biggrr.

Latino audiences skew younger and they’re some of the most active moviegoers currently. They don’t just watch films with racial/ethnic minorities in the lead roles. I’m not sure why people act shocked every time they show up for a film with a white lead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Latino audiences skew younger and they’re some of the most active moviegoers currently. They don’t just watch films with racial/ethnic minorities in the lead roles. I’m not sure why people act shocked every time they show up for a film with a white lead. 

A lot of Latino or hispanic is actually white, about a quarter of them. The figure could go even higher if we factor in mixed-white. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

This and the Black Panther movies' demographics makes me think some people are underestimating Captain America 4.

Blacks and Latinos might make for the loss in white audiences.

I mean how does a movie make 210m OW with only 25% white audience? That's crazy.

The Asian and Caucasian numbers for DW just look straight up wrong.

Edit: Yeah wrong.  Shang Chi had 11% Asian (MPAA #s).  Crazy Rich Asians 17%

It was 36% White for Black Panther  and that's more because the Black audience wildly over indexed. The Hispanic % was almost 20% lower compared to Civil War.  White audience was 25% lower.  Asians and others also dropped about 18%  I could see a significant uptick in Black audiences for Cap4 though not as big as BP which was an entire world and cast. Not sure if the Hispanic % will rise much

From the MPAA

CA: WS

W-55%
AA:16%
Hisp: 17%
Asian& Others: 13%

CA:CW

W-48%
AA:18%
Hisp: 22%
Asian: 9%
NA & Others: 4%

Black Panther

W-36%
AA:35%
Hisp: 18%
Asian: 6%
NA & Others: 5%

Avengers IW

W-48%
AA:17%
Hisp: 21%
Asian: 10%

Avengers EG

W-44%
Hisp: 24%

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

If Latino / Hispanic audiences waited for films with Latino leads or directors or even cinematographer or producers  they'd barely go the movies.  Only 3% of the film business in the U,S, is Latino /Hispanic.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If Latino / Hispanic audiences waited for films with Latino leads or directors or even cinematographer or producers  they'd barely go the movies.  Only 3% of the film business in the U,S, is Latino /Hispanic.

36 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Yep, it’s been clear for a decade are so that Hispanic audiences are a huge percentage of moviegoing, but they don’t like films with Hispanic leads or themes. 

Paranormal Activity The Marked Ones

La Larona

Blue Beetle

Any Hispanics here know why? 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yep, it’s been clear for a decade are so that Hispanic audiences are a huge percentage of moviegoing, but they don’t like films with Hispanic leads or themes. 

Paranormal Activity The Marked Ones

La Larona

Blue Beetle

Any Hispanics here know why? 

Blue Beetle had an Hispanic 38% OW,  That doesn't translate to not interested.  But no one group is going to carry a film to blockbuster status that isn't appealing to movie goers at large.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The Asian and Caucasian numbers for DW just look straight up wrong.

Edit: Yeah wrong.  Shang Chi had 11% Asians.  Crazy Rich Asians 17%

It was 36% White for Black Panther  and that's more because the Black audience wildly over indexed. The Hispanic % was almost 20% lower compared to Civil War.  White audience was 25% lower.  Asians and others also dropped about 18%  I could see a significant uptick in Black audiences for Cap4 though not as big as BP which was an entire world and cast. Not sure if the Hispanic % will rise much

From the MPAA

CA: WS

W-55%
AA:16%
Hisp: 17%
Asian& Others: 13%

CA:CW

W-48%
AA:18%
Hisp: 22%
Asian: 9%
NA & Others: 4%

Black Panther

W-36%
AA:35%
Hisp: 18%
Asian: 6%

Avengers IW

W-48%
Hisp: 21%

Avengers EG

W-44%
Hisp: 24%

I mean you can't really compare pre-COVID demos to post-COVID demos. The data has more than indicated a huge chunk of Caucasian audiences have dipped out from moviegoing over the last two years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

I mean you can't really compare pre-COVID demos to post-COVID demos. The data has more than indicated a huge chunk of Caucasian audiences have dipped out from moviegoing over the last two years.

Yes it's changed but it hasn't THAT much

With the DP reported numbers you're talking about a 600% over indexing of Asian audiences.  Also Deadline.  Shang Chi's post Covid Asian was 18%  according to Deadline's Postrak but 11% according to the MPAA (though that overs a longer span)

Edited by TalismanRing

I just want to lament the state of the two major box office websites.

BOM, they are slow to update and they ruined what used to be a wonderful and informative interface. and they make a lot of input errors.

The-Numbers updates in real time, but their layout was clunkier than the old BOM and now their pages take a long time to load (as far as I can tell on my end).

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 14