Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

27 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Is that an indictment on the prior works of the Romulus cast, or the fact they went with unknowns?

I can find much better unknowns in my backyard, male cast looks horrendous, worse than CW D-list actors, and female cast looks like it belongs to a different movie, I could've tolerated rehash if the cast was actually solid.

27 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

And what’s wrong with a back-to-basics approach after decades of garbage?

Because they already did that? Alien 3 kinda did that, Life did that without xenomorph. Resurrection, while being a horror comedy, also did "a group of characters walking dark corridors and escaping a space ship/station full of aliens". It doesn't work because it was already done before more than once, done better. They should've done Alien: Isolation, it mixed familiar with new and expanded lore in a compelling way, a win-win situation if done right.

Edited by Firepower

Over 200M views on Instagram on the RDJ video. One of the most watched instagram videos of all time. Not even 24 hours. Marvel got their attention at least

Edited by thajdikt
  • Astonished 10
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

What’s the next movie to do 200M 3-day? Avengers? Can’t really see anything else. Shrek is 5-day no?

Avengers for sure. Shrek V could have done it as well but it opens on a Wednesday. Can't think of anything else unless something breaks out massively 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

MCU shills

When is Spike making another movie?  There was the Beastie Boys thing on Apple a few years ago but it's been over a decade since Her.

He’s making a huge ambitious scifi TV show for Netflix 

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/6/21/spike-jonzes-ambitious-netflix-sci-fi-series-might-start-production-soon

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Over 200M views on Instagram on the RDJ video. One of the most watched instagram videos of all time. Not even 24 hours. Marvel got their attention at least

Yes is insane

i think for the media only Gta6 trailer made more views

spoiler: no

Edited by fabiopazzo2

Shrek 5 is a easy 2B grosser if it’s actually great 

One of the few modern movies / franchises that seems to be widely beloved by older people, millennials, and even Gen Z / Alpha. Maybe it’s due to constant memes. 

I’m curious how they can pull this off tho. I suspect it’ll be close to what Deadpool did … very self conscious meta commentary about the current animations and it’s position in it.

25 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

What’s the next movie to do 200M 3-day? Avengers? Can’t really see anything else. Shrek is 5-day no?

Avengers. Anything else with a chance is opening on a 5-day. I'd say a Frozen 3 or 4 could do it maybe but that'll all be a 5-day too. I don't see anything else live action with potential. 

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

very self conscious meta commentary about the current animations and it’s position in it.

Frankly I don't think they have the juice for it. How would they include Pixar or Spider-Verse or Illumination parodies when they've always been a fantasy fairytale story.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Shrek 5 is a easy 2B grosser if it’s actually great 

One of the few modern movies / franchises that seems to be widely beloved by older people, millennials, and even Gen Z / Alpha. Maybe it’s due to constant memes. 

I’m curious how they can pull this off tho. I suspect it’ll be close to what Deadpool did … very self conscious meta commentary about the current animations and it’s position in it.

Disney has given them plenty of princess fodder to work with since the last one. I expect a lot of jokes aimed at Frozen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Frankly I don't think they have the juice for it. How would they include Pixar or Spider-Verse or Illumination parodies when they've always been a fantasy fairytale story.

They have Frozen, Moana, Raya, Encanto and all the live action versions to mock. I think there’s plenty of material in the fairytale world since Shrek 4 to make jokes about. 

And since Shrek itself turned into a very long franchise, even adopting some of the things it once criticized, i think they can talk about sequels and franchises as well now.

I’m quite excited for it, i can’t see this movie living to the hype without this type of approach that make the first 2 so amazing, so i hope to get a very biting comedy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

The franchises and blockbusters prop up the business. Not everybody is a cinephile. Cinema doesn’t just exist for those that worship the art form. People just want to have a good time and thank Christ they are so that the cinephiles can still have their movies made.

You may not intend it, but the suggestion that a movie can't be both a good time and cinematically interesting is absurd. These divisions into franchises vs art, "cinephiles" vs "simple people who just want to have a good time", are artificial and unnecessary, there was no problem when massively popular movies (like Back to the Future and Indiana Jones!) were both great entertainment and works of creative personal expression. The backlash to certain particular MCU movies stems from them either removing the latter from the equation or minimizing it beneath endless brand perpetuation.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I wonder if there'll ever be an animated movie that can open with 200M.

Shrek 5 or Incredibles 3. Incredibles 2 came very close 

36 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Deadpool is gonna beat Passion of The Christ’s 20 year long R-rated DOM record in just 10 days…

It’s funny since the first Deadpool got very close with $363M DOM, which was only $7M behind The Passion of The Christ’s $370M.

Passion truly felt like THE box office king of R-rates movies, right?

I know its a meme coming from me, but Jurassic World 5 next year also has a non-zero chance at a 200M OW, completely depending on the movies premise, the trailers and ofc, if they can manage to recreat the pure fun energy of the first JW or not.

Though to be clear, atm i would predict more like a 140M OW for it, close to Dominion.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Presumably the poster means the way that Prometheus spends most of the run time going out of its way to avoid being an actual Alien film until the last 10 minutes or so where a xenomorph type creature appears. The rest of the film is more concerned with the engineers and the origins of humanity. It does feel a bit like someone at Fox said to Ridley “you do plan to have an Alien in your Alien movie, right?”.

Ah, yeah, in that case, I agree. I thought he was talking about how Shaw(?) & robo-fassbender set out in search of the planet of the engineers.