Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

What could contribute to this great early reception is maybe that audiences/Marvel Fans were starved for an actually purely fun MCU movie for a while. The last one whas arguably No Way Home and after that came:

MoM: One of the most divisive MCU movies, but most can probably agree that it didnt really deliver on its premise and was also more of a light campy "horror" superhero film that a fun marvel movie

Thor: Love and Thunder: Frankly one of the most embarrassing superhero films of the 2020s. Not fun, but cringe.

Wakanda Forever: Not a fun time, but a sad and melancholic time (for good reasons i know, but still).

Ant-Man 3: Even more embarrassing than Thor 4. Pure cringe.

GOTG Vol 3: Actually a great movie and ofc has many fun moments, but it also has some dark subject matter and i also felt like the GOTG trilogy was kind of its own thing and a bit separate from the other MCU films.

The Marvels: Another embarrassing, cringe movie.

And in that sense ... Deadpool and Wolverine could have hit that sweet spot of just beeing a fun time. Something truly escapist in a time when many people crave that i think.

I think the most important for D&W to surpass the billion dollars mark is the second weekend .

MOM : 450M : 1St Weekend , 688M after second weekend (-47%)

Thor 4 : 302M : 1st Weekend , 498M after 2nd Weekend (-35%)

BPWF : 330M : 1st Weekend , 546M after second Weekend (-34%)

GOTG 3 : 282M : 1st Weekend , 529M after Second Weekend (-13%)

Edited by Grand Cine
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

I think the most important for D&W to surpass the billion dollars mark is the second weekend .

MOM : 450M : 1St Weekend , 688M after second weekend (-47%)

Thor 4 : 302M : 1st Weekend , 498M after 2nd Weekend (-35%)

BPWF : 330M : 1st Weekend , 546M after second Weekend (-34%)

GOTG 3 : 282M : 1st Weekend , 529M after Second Weekend (-13%)

Plus, Deadpool 3 has zero competition and summer weekdays. 

I know we've all been guilty of this, including myself, but let's hope if this does come in at something like 37 million for previews and let's just say $197 million for the weekend... Let's hope nobody is disappointed LOL even if this movie were to miss a billion by a few millimeters I don't think anybody should be disappointed. The last two films combined for about 1.5 billion dollars. Sure they added Wolverine this time so expectations are very high. But this kind of consistency for three films especially the r-rated kind is pretty unprecedented. The Matrix couldn't do it obviously. Beverly Hills cop couldn't maintain its pace, Fifty shades was a strong grossing trilogy but nothing like deadpool. We can go on and on. Deadpool is pretty much in a class by itself and if it does exceed a billion dollars, I don't know if another r-rated trilogy will be able to compete with that.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

I know we've all been guilty of this, including myself, but let's hope if this does come in at something like 37 million for previews and let's just say $197 million for the weekend... Let's hope nobody is disappointed LOL even if this movie were to miss a billion by a few millimeters I don't think anybody should be disappointed. The last two films combined for about 1.5 billion dollars. Sure they added Wolverine this time so expectations are very high. But this kind of consistency for three films especially the r-rated kind is pretty unprecedented. The Matrix couldn't do it obviously. Beverly Hills cop couldn't maintain its pace, Fifty shades was a strong grossing trilogy but nothing like deadpool. We can go on and on. Deadpool is pretty much in a class by itself and if it does exceed a billion dollars, I don't know if another r-rated trilogy will be able to compete with that.

I would be dissapointed if Deadpool 3 doesn't reach 1 billion at the end, because this movie will need horrible legs for that situation to happen.

Edited by Kon
  • Knock It Off 1

38 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Yeah...:apocalypse:

Focusing on right thing i say.

Quite similar both, Cinematic Icons, working together and fighting each other too at times.

One has X in title and other is also related to a property with X in title.

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

First Godzilla x Kong twitter account now Ryan Reynolds..... Both showing RT Audience score 

Critics put out the hit! audiences loved Deadpool And Wolverine, Who do you trust more? yourself or a troll behind a keyboard. 

• Haha 1

This isn't a spoiler thread right guys? Can we please keep even the minute details of the film out of this thread?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

Critics put out the hit! audiences loved Deadpool And Wolverine, Who do you trust more? yourself or a troll behind a keyboard. 

I'll never understand why anybody would go see a movie based on critical reception.

4 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Not awful just very very forgettable 

May I ask for your advice about Glen Powell? Cuz I'm really curious if he is someone very popular in America or the industry.

He starred many hit films recently and has been seen as a box office draw by some presses. But I'm wondering if those movies were really carried by him. Even though I don't like the idea that film stars should mainly take responsibility of box office success or failure, but I really want to know more public opinions about Glen Powell, because some people say he's just a lucky guy with good agents and choices while others think he will be the next Tom Cruise or something. 

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

May I ask for your advice about Glen Powell? Cuz I'm really curious if he is someone very popular in America or the industry.

He starred many hit films recently and has been seen as a box office draw by some presses. But I'm wondering if those movies were really carried by him. Even though I don't like the idea that film stars should mainly take responsibility of box office success or failure, but I really want to know more public opinions about Glen Powell, because some people say he's just a lucky guy with good agents and choices while others think he will be the next Tom Cruise or something. 

Glen Powell star power doesn't draw people to Anyone But You, since that movie started pretty low. This movie was a success due to its legs. Now, Glen Powell, Sidney Sweeney and their chemistry are likely the reason that movie had really good legs, but this isn't exactly star power draw.

In Twisters, I think Glen Powell shows more star power, but the theme about twisters seems to be the main appeal.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Aren’t audiences and critics both trolls behind a keyboard these days? lol

Anyway it was certified fresh last time I looked, why do dudebros and twitter folks need everything to be 95%+

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Aren’t audiences and critics both trolls behind a keyboard these days? lol

Anyway it was certified fresh last time I looked, why do dudebros and twitter folks need everything to be 95%+

Because they never learned to use criticism in a healthy manner, now hide behind the keyboards just being assholes

Just finished this . 7.8/10

First act has pacing issues and all over the place but the following 2 acts are just Soo much fun and cameos for the most part work on a fan service level that I'm kind of forgiving to the sloppy portions,not much of a story, or much of any meaningful character work.

Cassandra nova was another terrible villain and the whole TVA /multiverse plotline is just convoluted and lazy crutch for storytelling.

Deadpool quirky character and wolverine dead serious demeanor  bounce off each other quite well 

Action was pretty good and some sequences just put a big smile on my face.

In summary . This  movie has the same issues plaguing current phases but it delivers what it promised and is like meta commentary on current state of the MCU and actively mocks it .

It's a crowd pleaser and rewatchability is high.

• Like 1