Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

1 minute ago, Asyulus said:

It Ends With Us comfortably makes $50M OW at its max and D&W third weekend will still be above that.

NWH third weekend was 56m and MoM was in the 30s. So I don't see how you expect this to be over 50 in its 3rd weekend.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

How funny would that be if Ryan's wife ends his run at number one for the weekend box office?

You can bet he will turn that into a marketing opportunity.🤣

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Durden said:

What? There's no way this film would have debuted so high if it were just a Deadpool and Wolverine crossover back in the Fox era.

There's no doubt for me that being a MCU movie of Deadpool and Wolverine is really pushing the numbers.

I mean, Deadpool and Wolverine were the big sellers on the Fox franchise. So, I wouldn't say a crossover in the Fox era couln't push these numbers.

Anyway, the MCU brand may help these already pretty popular character to increase the numbers at a new level, but I'm not sure the MCU could do that with other less popular characters.

It Ends with Us is looking like it's headed for that August female-driven literary adaptation opening range (see: Eat Pray Love, The Help, Crazy Rich Asians). Gonna be a good couple of weeks for that household: not sure if Lively will be the exact driving force behind this given the popularity of the book (just looked up that this is actually her first movie, not counting a voice cameo in IF, since early 2020's ill-fated The Rhythm Section), but her presence should help at the same time.

I’m in the UK obviously, but the Captain America 4 trailer didn’t play before Deadpool & Wolverine at all.

trailers were:

Joker 2

Venom 3

Alien: Romulus

The Crow

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Gladiator 2 

17 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I mean, ya - GOTG3 showed the MCU still had life in it. Then came The Marvels. And while Captain America SHOULD bring in more interest than Captain Marvel, the fact is that he may be Captain America, but he ain't Steve Rogers. I can't see how this isn't a huge issue, no matter how you try to spin it. It's not that Chris Evans is the draw - it's that Chris Evans as Cap is the draw, after so many years inhabiting the role. I don't think it's gonna be the catastrophe that TM was, but I still think it will be a big disappointment. 

The one thing that should make Brave New World a lot more successful than The Marvels is that literally everyone saw the ending of Endgame. We all saw Steve literally pass on the torch to Sam to become the next Captain America, so there won't be any of that Disney+ confusion, which (among so many others) is what hurt The Marvels. 

Like you said, the realistic part of me knows that Cap 4 will probably be a disappointment box office wise, but I'm still gonna hold out hope that it can at least be a decent success. 

Edited by Ryan C

42 minutes ago, baumer said:

One thing to keep in mind about Glenn Powell is that the producers of twisters got him to sign on the dotted line before he kind of blew up. Anyone But You kind of got him on to another level. As we all know, that was a Christmas movie from last year. Twisters has been filming for at least a year now. So they either got really lucky with casting him or they knew that he was going to kind of blow up after his movie with Sydney sweeney.

I would say they definitely got lucky with his casting and nobody in their wildest dreams believed that ''Anyone but you'' was gonna blow up like that and I was one of the few people who didn´t get the chemistry between the leads but it did unexpectedly blow up regardless. 

Twisters has also some romantic elements hence it may be riding on that Glen Powell hype train 

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m in the UK obviously, but the Captain America 4 trailer didn’t play before Deadpool & Wolverine at all.

trailers were:

Joker 2

Venom 3

The Crow

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Gladiator 2 

Didn't play here too

We got Venom 3, Joker 2, Borderlands and bunch of Local trailers.

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

trailers were:

Joker 2

Venom 3

The Crow

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Gladiator 2 

Not in Denmark either. I have seen it 3 times now

Trap

Borderlands

Aliens R

Cap trailer wasn’t played for me either but that never happens tbh. It’s usually just the next movie on the schedule rather than the next marvel movie.

First viewing they played Joker and Alien

Second viewing they played Trap, BeetleJuice and Wicked

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

trailers were:

Joker 2

Venom 3

The Crow

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Gladiator 2 

I got all of these except the Joker trailer which was swapped with the trailer for the Transformers cartoon instead. Which I thought was a weird trailer to show before a 15.

34 minutes ago, Asyulus said:

It Ends With Us comfortably makes $40M OW at its max and D&W third weekend will still be above that thanks to cinemascore and WOM.

It should be close, IMHO. I am not expecting much more than 45M for DP&W in its 3rd weekend and It Ends With Us could overperform bigly to 45-50M

30 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

trailers were:

Joker 2

Venom 3

The Crow

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Gladiator 2 

didn’t play in IMAX Cardiff either. 

We had: 

Beetlejuice

Gladiator

Wicked

Trap

Alien

Venom

Crow

I'm sure everyone in this thread is aware of how frontloaded Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was, but to really put that into perspective, you need to be aware of this. 

Despite opening $69M (how fitting) below Doctor Strange 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 had a higher second weekend gross ($62.0M) than that film ($61.7M)

It just makes me think how much more Strange 2 could've made if it was got great reception from audiences, but clearly is was the definition of mixed. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It Ends with Us is looking like it's headed for that August female-driven literary adaptation opening range (see: Eat Pray Love, The Help, Crazy Rich Asians). Gonna be a good couple of weeks for that household: not sure if Lively will be the exact driving force behind this given the popularity of the book (just looked up that this is actually her first movie, not counting a voice cameo in IF, since early 2020's ill-fated The Rhythm Section), but her presence should help at the same time.

Maybe a good friend could help