kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The Marvels failed as it required you watch a tv series that most of the audience hadn’t even seen yet.  It was the best example of how linking storylines in with television was a recipe for disaster.  

This. And it actually required viewers being familiar with two Disney+ shows. It was making less than the first regardless, but there's no way a Captain Marvel 2 that asked viewers to do so much homework would've fared as poorly as it ultimately did.

Nobody likes to feel as if they're being baited into anything, including signing up for a streaming service.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney and SW is about to learn this hard painful lesson with the Mando and Baby Yoda movie. Large Portions of the audience won't be willing to do the homework of watching a 3 season show on a streaming service that they have to pay for just to understand a movie.

Could well be right. 

I sort of feel like the characters transcended the series for the interest to be there. The marketing will need to suggest it’s a brand new story though, unlike what they did with Marvels. 

43 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yet the female audience is 40%+ for MCU films.  The first Avengers was 50/50.  

Then again there was the great Steve/Tony doomed romance through out though they blew it in AEG - not letting them have their own moment at the end   They could have easily flipped that AOU Tony dream scene and it would have easily passed $4B. :chaplin:

I have an old spreadsheet on my computer entitled "superhero demo OW" that says Avengers 1 was 60/40 male and here's the old mojo source of that claim. That sheet has 30 superherp films with only aquaman and wonder woman at >50% female (though I suspect Aquaman's number wasn't actually that high).
https://web.archive.org/web/20120508225222/http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3438&p=.htm 

I'd saw it's more mid50s to mid 60% male for mcu/superheros because they're "hollywood action-blockbusters" which are just not as male skewing as pure action movies (think 70% male). I think 2012 is literally the year before we got official/final posttrak demos for the "top 10" films of the year in the mpa's theme reports (RIP) so there's no conclusive final number.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Issue is that nowadays for some reason there's a large group of people who interpret anything romance as being a negative stereotype for the female character involved.

They either write a weak character female characters who's only point in the plot is to be a love interest, in which case it's an offensive character because the woman is only there to be an object of desire for the man.

Or you write a strong character who just happens to have a subplot involving romance in which case you've ruined a good character by making her "need a man".

It may sound like a meme but it's a genuine issue with audiences right now. These same criticisms don't come up when it's gay romances involved, since people can't nitpick the gender dynamic, but those of course push away other groups from the audience and so don't find their way into the mainstream usually either. 

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney and SW is about to learn this hard painful lesson with the Mando and Baby Yoda movie. Large Portions of the audience won't be willing to do the homework of watching a 3 season show on a streaming service that they have to pay for just to understand a movie.

That will be an intriguing BO run to watch. Baby Yoda/The Child became a phenomenon when Mando S1 was released; there was no such hype - not even close - for MS. MARVEL when it dropped on Disney Plus. If any show/character can make the jump from D+ to the big screen, it's Mando and Grogu. Will they, though? We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Issue is that nowadays for some reason there's a large group of people who interpret anything romance as being a negative stereotype for the female character involved.

They either write a weak character female characters who's only point in the plot is to be a love interest, in which case it's an offensive character because the woman is only there to be an object of desire for the man.

Or you write a strong character who just happens to have a subplot involving romance in which case you've ruined a good character by making her "need a man".

I don't think this is true, or the reason why there isn't romance in recent movies. Though maybe it is with the reason with established characters... I'm thinking about Elemental, and basically no one there complained that it was a rom-com like movie. might have complained about other things about it, but the fact that it had romance... no?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I don't think this is true, or the reason why there isn't romance in recent movies. Though maybe it is with the reason with established characters... I'm thinking about Elemental, and basically no one there complained that it was a rom-com like movie. might have complained about other things about it, but the fact that it had romance... no?

Well Elemental was sold as romance from first promo , no point in complaining 

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Could well be right. 

I sort of feel like the characters transcended the series for the interest to be there. The marketing will need to suggest it’s a brand new story though, unlike what they did with Marvels. 

Shows that get made to movies always have a spotty record.

X-Files one of the most popular shows ever only made $189M WW.

Simpsons did well with $537M WW, but they are insanely popular worldwide.

Perhaps the most popular were Transformers, but it technically started out as a toy and the cartoon was made to promote the toys.

Fall Guy flopped and freaked everyone out and causing lots of Doomposting about theaters dying here.

36 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This movie is SO mediocre and this seems like a consensus now … i still don’t understand how this got better reviews than Infinity War which is actually great

I got Ant-Man and the Wasp just outside my top 10 MCU and over Infinity War on my ranking 👀

• Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Mando is a far more popular show than Ms Marvel. It’s not even close. However Mando hype has clearly died down after Season 3 and I think people will sense desperation if they just sell the movie primarily on “Baby Yoda cuteness”. Maybe 500m worldwide 

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

To be fair, it would be weird to complaint about romance in a rom-com like Elemental.

In action/adventure movies, there seems to be a current idea that strong female characters shouldn't have romance. This is likely because female characters were associated with romance too much in the past (not to mention the cases where they were only love interests).

Edited by Kon

16 minutes ago, John Harris said:

That will be an intriguing BO run to watch. Baby Yoda/The Child became a phenomenon when Mando S1 was released; there was no such hype - not even close - for MS. MARVEL when it dropped on Disney Plus. If any show/character can make the jump from D+ to the big screen, it's Mando and Grogu. Will they, though? We'll see.

Should be interesting to see.

Before Deadpool's first movie only comic book readers, tweens, and meme culture cared about him. After the film you got tons of general audience acting like they know everything about him and loved him all along. 

EVERY single Deadpool movie is bigger than every single Xmen movie which is freaking wild.

Mad props to Reynolds for turning Deadpool into an A lister by getting that first movie made.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This. And it actually required viewers being familiar with two Disney+ shows. It was making less than the first regardless, but there's no way a Captain Marvel 2 that asked viewers to do so much homework would've fared as poorly as it ultimately did.

Nobody likes to feel as if they're being baited into anything, including signing up for a streaming service.

In fairness, I can’t say it’s just the shows that’s the problem because both Deadpool and Wolverine and Strange 2 are directly linked to Marvel shows and concepts. One being tied closely to Marvel history overall and the other having a lead who went through major development in a show. Granted, don’t think Monica or Kamala was as popular as Wanda but it, like most MCU stuff explains who they are pretty early. Guess it’s more of a perception thing to the GA (with it being two shows) or a popularity thing but do wonder if calling it Captain Marvel 2 over The Marvels would’ve helped more. 

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, YM! said:

In fairness, I can’t say it’s just the shows that’s the problem because both Deadpool and Wolverine and Strange 2 are directly linked to Marvel shows and concepts. One being tied closely to Marvel history overall and the other having a lead who went through major development in a show. Granted, don’t think Monica or Kamala was as popular as Wanda but it, like most MCU stuff explains who they are pretty early. Guess it’s more of a perception thing to the GA (with it being two shows) or a popularity thing but do wonder if calling it Captain Marvel 2 over The Marvels would’ve helped more. 

What sold D&W was the teamup between Pool and Wolvie, Hugh's glorious return, and Pool getting into shenanigans in the MCU. Most people felt like they could watch it without doing any homework of streaming shows. I doubt most even know there is a Loki multiverse show.

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

What sold D&W was the teamup between Pool and Wolvie, Hugh's glorious return, and Pool getting into shenanigans in the MCU. Most people felt like they could watch it without doing any homework of streaming shows. I doubt most even know there is a Loki multiverse show.

I get that but a lot of hype was if Deadpool was going interact with other Marvel characters throughout the multiverse especially those outside the MCU. But my thing if people barely acknowledge there was a Loki show which is probably the biggest of the Marvel shows, wouldn’t it be plausible to do the same with WandaVision and Ms. Marvel’s shows?

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Doesn’t Wonder Woman have the best gender split? 

I think it might have been dead on 50/50. 

I think Aquaman has the bigger female audience percent (56%) for a superhero movie. 

It's always curious that Aquaman seems to have a bigger female audience than Wonder Woman. I mean, Wonder Woman is an iconic female character who didn't have a movie until that time (the movie also has romance).

13 minutes ago, YM! said:

I get that but a lot of hype was if Deadpool was going interact with other Marvel characters throughout the multiverse especially those outside the MCU. But my thing if people barely acknowledge there was a Loki show which is probably the biggest of the Marvel shows, wouldn’t it be plausible to do the same with WandaVision and Ms. Marvel’s shows?

Yeah. That's why I've never agree with the "homework" theory.

If people are interested on a movie, they will likely trust the movie will be enough understandable by itself and go to see the movie in theaters.

I have similar feelings about "people could wait for streaming" theory. People aren't waiting for Deadpool & Wolverine.

Edited by Kon

39 minutes ago, YM! said:

I think MoM not feeling like the investment in WandaVision payed off for many probably did its own damage to the whole "multi-media" approach. But also WandaVision was a bigger deal than anything else that connected to The Marvels, also because, well, lots of ppl were watching Disney+ during the lockdowns.

• Like 1