Eric the Marxist

D23 2024 Discussion Thread | Friday, August 9 Entertainment Showcase (7:00-9:00 PM PDT) | Saturday, August 10 Experiences Showcase (7:00-8:300 PM PDT)

9 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

looks a little better than the remake (but not by much) but still I think paramount should push sonic 3 for a spring 2025 date and try and get PLF screens

Yeah that’s where I’m at. It’s the eyes. They don’t look like actual animals now which makes us kinda accept this as something fantastic other than The Lion King remake that looked so realistic that it gave an uncanny valley expression. Also I find the idea of exploring Mufasa’s past far more interesting than retreading the original animation.

2 hours ago, XXR & Friends said:

Curious that this got a minor backlash online for being too random. It´s funny to me how people react badly these days to absurd premises as if it´s desperation and not creativity ... this type of absurd base storylines was what made Pixar thrive once.

This isn´t much different than ´´a smart rat decided to control a human by hair and cook´´ or ´´old man goes to south with this flying house after wife is dead´´. The director is very talented, i hope it works out.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Curious that this got a minor backlash online for being too random. It´s funny to me how people react badly these days to absurd premises as if it´s desperation and not creativity ... this type of absurd base storylines was what made Pixar thrive once.

This isn´t much different than ´´a smart rat decided to control a human by hair and cook´´ or ´´old man goes to south with this flying house after wife is dead´´. The director is very talented, i hope it works out.

yeah that's one way of looking at it. Pixar gets the benefit of the doubt. But I do have doubt.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

looks a little better than the remake (but not by much) but still I think paramount should push sonic 3 for a spring 2025 date and try and get PLF screens

I wonder what’s getting PLF that weekend. Mufasa or Sonic? I think Disney probably already has that locked up

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Jump scare! 

He needs some work. 

The only modification he really needs here is a larger pair of eyes to match the original animation better. Otherwise I actually think this design is pretty decent. Realistic enough to work in a live action setting, but still being animated enough to not veer into the uncanny valley and still feel like Stitch.

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah that's one way of looking at it. Pixar gets the benefit of the doubt. But I do have doubt.

I vividly remember how people always expect Pixar movies to fail back in the 2000´s in the moment they announced them with those absurd premises, nobody could see how that could´ve work. But the movies ended up being great and proving themselves. 

So i get the feeling, i have doubts too, it can easily go very wrong. But i think this is the good thing about these random absurd ideas, they can be a huge missfire and it´s always hard to see how they can make that work, but when the artists pull it off, it´s very satisfying and tends to make great movies. 

I prefer this than the sure things, if it´s bad at least they tried something really new.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I vividly remember how people always expect Pixar movies to fail back in the 2000´s in the moment they announced them with those absurd premises, nobody could see how that could´ve work. But the movies ended up being great and proving themselves. 

So i get the feeling, i have doubts too, it can easily go very wrong. But i think this is the good thing about these random absurd ideas, they can be a huge missfire and it´s always hard to see how they can make that work, but when the artists pull it off, it´s very satisfying and tends to make great movies. 

I prefer this than the sure things, if it´s bad at least they tried something really new.

my biggest doubt comes from how brain/body swaps have been done like a million times already.

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I vividly remember backlash to Inside Out’s announcement back then. Like you’ve said, more and more it’s getting abundantly clear how internet outrage is meaningless. I’m not the target audience for this, but just like every Pixar film. I trust them to make bank.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

my biggest doubt comes from how brain/body swaps have been done like a million times already.

Yes, it´s a very old and even tiring concept indeed, but now in a way harder scenario since it´s humans mixing with voiceless animals which is the absurd thing imo

I´m curious how they´ll make it, probably needs to be executed differently than usual to work well

Just sequel after sequel. 

Getting Stanton and Bird back is also more desperate than exciting given the quality of Finding Dory and the Incredibles 2.

Buzz back as the villain, that was Toy Story 2 wasn't it? 

Frozen 2 was another crap film. 

We'll see how audiences respond then.