Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

5 hours ago, Ryan C said:

https://variety.com/2024/film/columns/where-have-all-the-cinema-lovers-gone-deadpool-wolverine-tar-1236108202/

This article isn't anything particularly new, but I just found it funny that people who are working for some of the biggest websites that cover everything in the entertainment industry are pointing out the hypocrisy in people who say that they love cinema, but never show up to the movie theater to see the films they claim are cinema.

Even if they would probably be stating what we all know is obvious, I would genuinely love to see more of these types of articles. 

Did people of stan- movie Twitter ever leave homes in general? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

These articles are always a good starting point to a relevant discussion but i always think they fall short of saying something actually insightful. 

They always individualize the problem, as if is some sort of war between different types of audiences. 

They tend to presume the GA is dumb and wouldn’t care about smaller “artful” movies and that cinephiles are too few that won’t watch popular movies, which is a bizarre generalist assumption imo. 

It’s an industry and, as always, the issue starts at it’s primary system. Every audience have acquired taste, no one born wanting to watch SH or arthouse movies, they learned based on what the industry sell for them. People used to watch the same type of movies they reject now, and they’re not necessarily dumber now, so what changed is just that the industry lost the ability to sell those movies, to made them feel relevant, which is why only people already inclined to them go see them.

In the process of thinking only billionaire movies are valuable, Hollywood lost a big chunk of the audience that maybe would be interested in new things, but doesn’t even know they exist because the production has been fewer and then marketing and distribution has been so awful. Along the obvious economical issues, is why movies are selling less and less tickets.

I think James Gray probably answer this dilemma better in the video below than these articles that propose good questions and never goes beyond surface: 

I think this video makes a good point but I think it's already too late. And even if it wasn't studios won't change their ways so it's pretty moot.

You can only really hope art films don't lose too much money and whatever franchise thing gets shat out atleast does something interesting. Occasionally an art film will become a hit but that's it.

As a BO follower this summer has been fine. Yet as a movie fan this summer has been pathetic. I had some hopes on IO2 given my love of the first film but it's really just a cheap copy.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lory88 said:

It's incredible that in the same summer there are even two films with 650 million domestic. I don't think anyone expected that. So crazy.

Past summers with two big movies:

2018 — IW (if you count it)+I2 around 825M+740M adjusted

2015 — JW+AoU ~860+605 adjusted

2012 — TA+TDKR ~870+625 adjusted

2004 — Shrek 2+SM2 ~ 785+670M adjusted

1999 — TPM+Sixth Sense ~940+640M adjusted (first runs)

1996 — Ind Day+Twister ~770M+605M adjusted 

However, if you look at just meteorological summer (June+July+august) rather than BO summer season, literally none of those qualify. For that you have to go all the way back to the massive twin smashes of 1994 — The Lion King, releasing wide on Jun 24, made a massive ~845M adjusted first run, followed a scant two weeks later by Forrest Gump on Jul 8th with a staggering ~895M adjusted 

So we’re roughly running back the summer of 30 years ago but ~25% smaller

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

They tend to presume the GA is dumb and wouldn’t care about smaller “artful” movies and that cinephiles are too few that won’t watch popular movies, which is a bizarre generalist assumption imo. 

Ironically, I think the issue is, audiences know what they want, and that's escapism. If the GA knows your movie will give them that, they'll go see it. The indie films I see underperforming are usually ones with endings open to interpretation or ones that don't end happy. Which, if you're in the mood for them, is great, and complicated endings don't make a film bad by any means. But this is the GA we're talking about. Most people work 8 hour days, five days a week, or take care of children all day, or have their own complicated, dramatic lives. They just want to spend $10-$20 to see something they don't have to think too hard about after its over.

Look at Oppenheimer, granted its not an indie film, but it has pretty heavy subject matter. The first half of that film deals with the creation and use of the Atomic Bomb, and had the film ended there, I don't know if it would have succeeded in the same way. But having the final hour be about Oppenheimer getting his revenge on Strauss in court and succeeding? You come out of the film feeling great. That's mostly all audiences want in the end.

I mean, of course, sometimes films just don't click, or a film is just plain bad, and you always have to have the best script and acting you can, but I digress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

I think this video makes a good point but I think it's already too late. And even if it wasn't studios won't change their ways so it's pretty moot.

You can only really hope art films don't lose too much money and whatever franchise thing gets shat out atleast does something interesting. Occasionally an art film will become a hit but that's it.

As a BO follower this summer has been fine. Yet as a movie fan this summer has been pathetic. I had some hopes on IO2 given my love of the first film but it's really just a cheap copy.

I disagree. I think Inside Out 2 is on par with the original, maybe slightly under for me. But it’s such a good film for me and I was afraid I’d actually hate it

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

+They just want to spend $10-$20 to see something they don't have to think too hard about after its over.

i think people have more to talk about with other people and to think about after they watch Inside Out 2 and It ends with us than when they watch snooze fests like Tar.

Edited by vale9001
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

i think people have more to talk about with other people and to think about after they watch Inside Out 2 and It ends with us than when they watch snooze fests like Tar.

Tar is a banger, Cate should have won the Oscar. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Ironically, I think the issue is, audiences know what they want, and that's escapism.

I don´t disagreed, but i think many of these ´´art´´ movies are fun or easily emotionally engaging, so they can be labelled as escapism too. 

It´s always funny to me when i stumble on those tiktoks talking about pretentious boring movies and the movies in question are something like Licorice Pizza or Banshees of Inisherin, both very fun and easy to follow watchs. 

So yeah, i understand that many people are tired and want to have fun and be entertained, but the assumption that they can´t also find fun beyond 200M action movies are baffling and, imo, are strongly connected to the fact that the studios doesn´t know how to sell these movies anymore.

It all comes back to the fact that people didn´t even want to watch the movies, they just presume they´re boring, so the broader production / marketing / distribution process has a serious problem of reaching these people in the past years. The audience being disinterested is the result of this process, not the cause.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is the first recent Alien movie after Prometheus and Covenant, people didn’t liked them, especially Covenant.

As I mentioned earlier, you greatly exaggerate that Prometheus was some panned movie. It wasn't, it just has some loud detractors, in fact Romulus is not a big improvement against it in terms of numbers. 7.0 imdb, 64 metacritic, 72% RT are good numbers, its metacritic is the same as Romulus and its final imdb is gonna be nearly the same, so how is it some big return to form if numbers don't differ much?

An increase from true Friday at least and a $41-42m weekend then. International over performing will make up for it not getting to $45m. $110m opening weekend worldwide is a great start. 

Seeing Despicable Me 4 (not my choice) and Trap today to do some catching up. 

• Like 1

Alien Romulus WOM seems pretty toxic on social media and work friends. Definitely persuading me to just wait for D+. I do feel critics have been a bit kinder on film lately. The new Apes movie someone had 80% and it was so boring. Bad Boys 4 was absolutely awful with ugly camera work and unfunny jokes but is somehow fresh and not sat in the 20's

I feel like i have to start deflating RT scores down to get a true guage of a movies quality since the pandemic

• Knock It Off 1

42 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Alien Romulus WOM seems pretty toxic on social media and work friends. Definitely persuading me to just wait for D+. I do feel critics have been a bit kinder on film lately.

How about 7.5 on imdb, 3.7 on letterboxd and 8.3 on metacritic? Doesn't seem toxic to me overall 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

How about 7.5 on imdb, 3.7 on letterboxd and 8.3 on metacritic? Doesn't seem toxic to me overall 

I tend to look on social media for reactions, never really took imdb seriously. I guess we will find out how good it's WOM truly is by next weekend. Maybe toxic was hyperbowl

Hollywood has and always will be a business and it annoys me that cinephiles don't realise spectacle and familiarity has always been part of that, nobody went to Gone with the Wind for example because it was some arthouse film, they went because it was a grand sweeping epic based on a popular novel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1