Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Eternals cost more than Dune 1 and and made less worldwide despite Dune 1 being on HBO Max. Eternals is a failure and that is why it is never getting a sequel 

I'm not going to pretend like I enjoyed Eternals a lot, but this feels disingenuous. In the United States, where Dune 1 was on HBO Max, Eternals made $56 million more in theaters.

• Like 2

You know what a crazy prediction was? The Marvels making a billy. Hmm, I wonder who made that one!

(fwiw, almost no one predicted 1B for dune 2 - there isn't even a club for that..)

Edited by JustLurking
  • Haha 2

Worldwide Box Office
(Estimates) Weekend Ending August 18, 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that we're forgetting that the Pixar trio weren't the only Disney re-issues that didn't make any money this year. The Lion King (1994) had a re-release last month that hardly made anything. Like 1/10th of Coraline. So this proves that Coraline is a draw and that streaming availability hurts re-releases.

9 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

If Cap3 did 1.1B with Iron Man and Spiderman (!!) the best scenario for this movie is 550M total

for thunderbolts... 400/500 maybe. If its great 700M?

f4 500/750M

I think you are lowballing a bit. If Cap 4 is as good as it looks and added the Deadpool & Wolverine hype, I am bullish confident that it has the potential of becoming a mini Black Panther phenomenon in the U.S., proven that it delivers in the grounded Captain America thriller flair, I could see it acting like a cross between The Winter Soldier OS and Black Panther DOM. 

If Captain America: Brave New World delivers, it provokes a snow ball effect that helps Thunderbolts* and I genuinely believe that both The Fantastic Four: First Steps and Superman will help each other out if they make their July dates. 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I am bullish confident that it has the potential of becoming a mini Black Panther phenomenon in the U.S., proven that it delivers in the grounded Captain America thriller flair, I could see it acting like a cross between The Winter Soldier OS and Black Panther DOM. 

So much for that "$714m ww is good actually" mindset

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Cap 4 doesn’t have Steve Rogers, is following a crappy streaming show,  and the China and Korea market which were big for the original movies have shrunk. When it doesn’t make much more than 550m don’t act surprised 

World wide?

Covid impacted Eternals but not as much as something like Shang Chi which still outgrossed it. If the movie had better critical and fan reception with the same box office receipts I think it's fate wouldn't be up in the air the way it is. Shang Chi didn't light the box office on fire either but it's performance for the time was impressive it had good legs even without taking Covid into account and the reception was really good both critically and with the audience. I don't doubt we'll be seeing him again.

We'll see some of the Eternals in the Avengers movies, maybe, and beyond that...eh. We'll see. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think that we're forgetting that the Pixar trio weren't the only Disney re-issues that didn't make any money this year. The Lion King (1994) had a re-release last month that hardly made anything. Like 1/10th of Coraline. So this proves that Coraline is a draw and that streaming availability hurts re-releases.

Sure.  In the Before Times, Disney mastered the re-release and going back in to the vault for its animation - not only with theatrical but VHS/DVD/BR re-releases.  Having it all available 24/7/365 on streaming puts a rather big dent in that approach.

• Like 2

The idea that Captain America will be a mini Black Panther just because the lead is black is just stupid and kinda racist. Black people wont show up en masse to a movie just because a black dude is in it. Saw a black guy say   “bring the white one back” to his (black) friends when the trailer showed up before Romulus. Obviously he was joking but it’s clear that there is no reverence like Black Panther. Literally no one cares.

• Like 13

Did Paramount just abandon A QUIET PLACE: DAY ONE? It's now just down to 135 theaters. It lost a massive 981 and 893 theaters on weekends 5 and 6 respectively. It actually held relatively well even when TWISTERS and DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE opened.

Brave New World is very likely to flop by mcu standards imo. I don’t believe audiences are showing up in a big way for original characters or side characters. Unless the next trailer features Hulk or Spiderman or something, I’d be very surprised if it can match Winter Soldier. Plus the production problems don’t help.

Edited by Avatree

Disney could take the Coraline approach if they wanted to and pull them off D+ for a rerelease, but I guess they see more value in just keeping them on the streamer (or at least they don't see the social outrage that may come from that as being worth the possible extra box office take). Sure enough their new movies don't seem to be hurting from "streaming conditioning" anymore.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I am bullish confident that it has the potential of becoming a mini Black Panther phenomenon in the U.S.

No

If you're implying that because Sam is black that's not how that's gonna go. 

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Disney could take the Coraline approach if they wanted to and pull them off D+ for a rerelease, but I guess they see more value in just keeping them on the streamer (or at least they don't see the social outrage that may come from that as being worth the possible extra box office take). Sure enough their new movies don't seem to be hurting from "streaming conditioning" anymore.

They took Avatar off of Disney+ for the September 22 re-release