Eric the Marxist

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

Twisters going up 17% from last weekend. Love it! And it lost 201 theaters according to the numbers. It really does feel like a mini TG Maverick where it can hang in there no matter what opens in the following weeks. Remember when we thought it was going to be toast in weekend 2. Fun times. Assuming it does not lose a bunch of theaters this coming weekend it should hold fairly strong again

• Like 1

Anyone know why these smaller releases are so frontloaded?

Slinghshot dropped over half from Fri-Sat, and apparently Skincare dropped 72% its first Fri-Sat.

its not like anyone is rushing to see these on Thursday night.

7 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Anyone know why these smaller releases are so frontloaded?

Slinghshot dropped over half from Fri-Sat, and apparently Skincare dropped 72% its first Fri-Sat.

its not like anyone is rushing to see these on Thursday night.

The few people who wanted to see these movies rushing out right away? That's my theory.

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Too bad there was no other good release date for Twisters it seems because it likely would have past 300m domestically which would have guaranteed 400m worldwide. 

Maybe Uni execs didn't realize what they had, but I feel they could have and should have negotiated to have the movie play in 4DX for weeks on end a la Oppenheimer. Granted Chung isn't Nolan, but I'm sure you could have worked out something. Sharing with Deadpool or Alien at the very least.

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I remember when some said Deadpool 3 would underperform because the presences of the TVA would confuse people 🤣

I remember when people were saying that Deadpool and Wolverine would underperform because it has connections to the MCU. 

Clearly, no one cared about that. People just wanted to see a good movie. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Looks like Inside Out 2 should be getting some decent room to spare as well before it ends its run, so hopefully that helps prevent any Mufasa funny business

It’d be incredibly ironic if after all the strife of getting Inside Out 2 past The Lion King (2019), it gets overthrown almost immediately by the remakes successor. Not likely but it’d be a little funny if it happened. 

So BoM finally decided to correct the Black Panther worldwide gross, only to still manage to mess it up. I'm honestly marveling at the incompetence of whoever is managing the site. They've corrected the ridiculous re-release gross which is now the actual  $731,661.

So:

Original release: $1,346,913,161

2020 Re-release: $731,661

So the total should be $1,347,644,822, right? No, it's somehow $1,349,926,083. I give up. 🙃😆

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

On which day will IO2 officially pass JW DOM?

Lifetime gross will take more than a week. Gonna be sitting at ~651.7 as of Thursday, then it'll depend on how many theaters it loses and how hard it drops against Beetlejuice.

4 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Perhaps Jurassic World will be avenged by Jurassic World Rebirth. Doubtful but possible.

I doubt it, these Jurassic World movies have been dropping by $300M each. Dominion which was the finale and brought back some of the old cast barely crossed $1B even though most predictions pre-release was in between Fallen Kingdom and Jurassic World 1.

2 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Disappointed? It has an A CinemaScore and had good legs. Sheer nostalgia alone isn’t going to get you 1.6B at the box office.

Mary Poppins isn’t the Lion King. 

Take a look the performances of Alice in Wonderland and Captain Marvel and their respective sequels.

while I think Mufasa should do way better than Alice 2/The Marvels, the precedent for a gigantic drop is there 

• Thanks 2