Eric Prime

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

4 hours ago, JimmyB said:

If you told me in June we'd have two 600m dollar movies at the domestic box office plus a 350m dollar film I'd say no fucking way.  That's insane.  Yes, I think it's bad business to need a movie every 6 weeks or so to not just overperform but enter or get near the top ten highest grossing movies of all time to just keep pace with 2023.  We haven't seen a "trickle down" to other releases.  The number of films that open wide and barely gross 20-30 million domestic is huge issue IMO.  2024 isn't like 2022 where theaters would have no new wide releases for weeks.  This year, will have as many wide releases as 2019.  Imaginary's gross at 28m will be in the top 50 highest grossing films at the 2024 box office. The box office before Covid was treading to more top heavy, this feels like something else. The hits are bigger, FOMO carries over to the 2nd weekend.  The other side, the flops are rejected faster, even films that open okay like Trap, it's box office run is basically done after 21 days.  I think whats happening is really interesting...what happens when nostalgic IP has a few misses? Is the future 4dx Universal theme park like rides for films or will it be a fade like 3d? 

As for Alien, I thought the comments during its opening weekend that the movie would easily get to 125m plus didn't make sense when the past 30 years of Alien movies, the best legs any of those films had was 2.5x the opening weekend.  The franchise has always been limited to its core fanbase and has struggled to reach past that.  I don't think that's a negative, I think it just is what it is.

My points remains very true. Your sole thoughts on the huge success of It Ends of Us: "Well, I guess the people who thought it would get to 170M got carried way 🤓"

Dude who cares? 

What happens when IP has a few misses? We saw last year. Quite a few.

I urge you to get another hobby or thing to pass time if you don't like the new reality. Streamers created a different environment in the entertainment landscape and it WON'T change. Accept it. Feels much better. Your whole point, broken cassette of wide releases is and will continue to be pointless if these studios don't even care to advertise, movie feels outdated because of streaming or even look like a streaming movie (and some just absolute trash). Again, part of the change. Maybe there's a way for them but it will be part of the adaptation to the new reality. For better or worse. Flops going away faster makes sense these days. 

The entertainment industry will mold itself with time in this new reality and if you don't like it, you're making the active and deliberate choice of continuing to be...this way. Important to remember. Just be normal. Theaters are here to stay and we're here to witness the journey. If that's not exciting, idk what is.

Inside Out 2 at $1.666B WW so far. A little left to beat Jurassic World, for the 8th highest grossing film of all time. 🙆🏻‍♀️

Hope there are friendly fandoms between IO fans & JP/JW fans.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

No there is only war. Inside out 2 literally will (g)cross a line it shoudnt.

Spoiler

Yes.

Spoiler

This is a joke

15 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Inside Out 2 at $1.666B WW so far. A little left to beat Jurassic World, for the 8th highest grossing film of all time. 🙆🏻‍♀️

Only two Avengers, three Cameron movies  , spiderman movie and a star War movie will be bigger than it

21 hours ago, grey ghost said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Perhaps Jurassic World will be avenged by Jurassic World Rebirth. Doubtful but possible.

Not a chance imo. For me anything, above 300M DOM / 800M worlwide for Rebirth is a big success since its basically another reboot of the series. I dont think (right now of course, without any marketing material) that it will come close to 1 Billion, let alone 650M+ DOM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Felandria said:

Anyone know why these smaller releases are so frontloaded?

Slinghshot dropped over half from Fri-Sat, and apparently Skincare dropped 72% its first Fri-Sat.

its not like anyone is rushing to see these on Thursday night.

Skincare was an AMC Monday mystery movie, sometimes those totals are rolled into the Thursday preview/Friday numbers. Not sure about Slingshot.

Maybe with smaller releases there aren't the same contractual demands for consistent showtimes throughout the weekend? The movie theater maybe just sticks in different empty rooms per showtime instead of it having a dedicated auditorium for the week?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

August this year made 890M$ , the best since 2016 (which has the record). September-December 2023 made around 2,35B . In 2019 , it was around 3,6B . With a much better slate this year , i expect that the 8,1B projection for 2024 will be surpass. I think at this point 8,4-8,5B .

Just heard the news that the evil has been defeated worldwide. Congrats to Inside Out 2. 

On Mufasa that movie could have over a 50% drop off the 2019 Lion King and I still would have it handily winning the season. Right now I see Mufasa around 850 ww or so, I wouldn't be shocked if it hit a flat bill but I would be surprised if it was seeing Deadpool 3 numbers or something. The lack of the nostalgia angle is why I think it'll drop but it's still a technologiclly impressive movie attached to a popular IP and reception for the first wasnt out of this world positive but it was still good overall. 

Sonic 3 will benefit from the holiday legs, I think it'll get more families out and with the season they're more likely to not just choose one movie and ignore the other. Biggest in the franchise around 500 mill ww would be a great result. 

31 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Inside Out 2 is definitely getting the Avatar/Avatar 2 treatment online of "how did this film make so much money??". Other than celebrating the defeat of Lion King.

I know i have seen alot of tweets like that lmao 

Not every movie needs to be barbie or Avengers to Make money 

In my country people are making a challenge of inside out 2 plus it was trending in tik tok and youtube 

2 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

August this year made 890M$ , the best since 2016 (which has the record). September-December 2023 made around 2,35B . In 2019 , it was around 3,6B . With a much better slate this year , i expect that the 8,1B projection for 2024 will be surpass. I think at this point 8,4-8,5B .

August was well over $900m when you include money from films reported on ComScore that BOM doesn’t include for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Imagine what the reactions would've been if you opened a Deadpool 3 above Barbie domestic club back in November 2023 or something

Everyone would’ve gone “yeah that’s possible”. Barbie coming anywhere close to a Deadpool and Wolverine movie is more ludicrous if anything

14 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

November 2023 was 4 months after Barbie came out :)

Yeah, and that doesn’t make a difference to the point I made. Deadpool and Wolverine’s gross would’ve been a much more plausible prediction than Barbie’s

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Everyone would’ve gone “yeah that’s possible”. Barbie coming anywhere close to a Deadpool and Wolverine movie is more ludicrous if anything

Lol, cmon man. It would have seemed like a duh moment before either came out, but people would have found it absurd after Barbie. To suggest otherwise is pure revisionism, we have lots of examples of what people were thinking at the time in the movie thread and various clubs 

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

On which day will IO2 officially pass JW DOM?

Most likely Saturday (September 7) or Sunday which is September 8. 😎

Edited by Migs20242