Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 13th-15th

10 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Pretty good hold for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice but I have a hard time seeing 300 million happening considering it does seem to to be playing to families and with two animated movies these next two weeks it is going to be really tough.

Once it gets past those two though it's pretty clear sailing since most of the big movies of October are more adult-aimed, plus the spooky season will make it an easy pick for families or more squeamish friend groups looking for appropriate viewing. 

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/15/business/media/beetlejuice-warner-bros-lifeline.html

I think you guys are gonna want to read this article about Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. 

It talks about how the co-chairs of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group wanted to greenlight the movie, but Warners thought it was too expensive and said they would only give it a massive theatrical release if the budget was below $100M. The article actually lists the budget at being $99M, so this film probably wouldn't even exist if it just cost a couple more million dollars. 

Also, there was at one point (and I know this is insane) where Warner Bros. tried to push Beetlejuice Beetlejuice as something to be released on Max. No joke. It was only through the efforts of Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy (knowing a streaming release wouldn't work) that this movie was able to get released in theaters. 

I'm sorry, but this is an even crazier case than Alien: Romulus. Just the fact that a movie that has made almost $200M domestically at this point was destined to go straight to streaming is completely insane. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

There's a chance the four out of the top 5 movies of the year domestically are animated movies, I'm serious

1. Inside Out 2 - $652M

2. Deadpool 3 - $635M

3. Moana 2 - $600M (ish)

4. DM4 - $370M

5. Mufasa - $325M

6. Beetlejuice - $300M

This is my nightmare. I don't watch animated movies

How high are the chances of Beetlejuice Beetlejuice ending up as the second-highest grossing film DOM for fall and winter seasons?

Aside from Moana 2, nothing seems locked to get to 300m and Mufasa is the only one that is more likely than not to get there.

That would be quite the upset, wouldn't it?

Deadpool at 621.5M with a 5.4M weekend

Barbie was at 620.2M with a 5.7m weekend.

The point is Barbie was released in IMAX for the First time in the 10th weekend so It lost only 13% from weekend 9 to weekend 10.

Seems like Barbie could win but It's gonna be really on thin ice.

10 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

How high are the chances of Beetlejuice Beetlejuice ending up as the second-highest grossing film DOM for fall and winter seasons?

Aside from Moana 2, nothing seems locked to get to 300m and Mufasa is the only one that is more likely than not to get there.

That would be quite the upset, wouldn't it?

Contenders would be probably Mufasa. I think Sonic only does 250-260m

i have Mufasa at 360m

12 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Deadpool at 621.5M with a 5.4M weekend

Barbie was at 620.2M with a 5.7m weekend.

The point is Barbie was released in IMAX for the First time in the 10th weekend so It lost only 13% from weekend 9 to weekend 10.

Seems like Barbie could win but It's gonna be really on thin ice.

Barbie will win, there are 3 $40-50m+ openers the next 3 weeks, whereas at the same point in Barbie's run, the highest opener only opened to $22m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Barbie will win, there are 3 $40-50m+ openers the next 3 weeks, whereas at the same point in Barbie's run, the highest opener only opened to $22m.

It's already two weeks weekends are bigger same as the weekdays so even without that i think .

Despicable Me 4 passes Minions 2 WW today (and is going to finish only like 7-8M behind it domestically). The fact that that film had the whole Gentleminions trend propelling it while this really had… nothing (not to mention Inside Out 2 to contend with) is pretty astonishing.

Bring back Vector for the 5th movie as a final hook, and you’ve got another billion dollars. Truly remarkable staying power for the franchise. Even Ice Age was long gone by now.

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

There's a chance the four out of the top 5 movies of the year domestically are animated movies, I'm serious

1. Inside Out 2 - $652M

2. Deadpool 3 - $635M

3. Moana 2 - $600M (ish)

4. DM4 - $370M

5. Mufasa - $325M

6. Beetlejuice - $300M

That’s only 3, accidentally bolded Mufasa