Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

not a shock. This looks like TV show level animation and the blatant celebrity  casting was more of a turn off than draw 

I mean...doesn't every animated movie have blatant celebrity casting? It's been that way ever since Katzenberg got away with exploiting Robin Williams to the tune of $500 million.

• Sad 1

Will say, as an outsider who doesn't really care for Transformers too much, I think the marketing didn't really do much to appeal to anybody outside of hardcore Transformers fans. The only real hook was "they're animated! And Prime and Megatron are now friends I guess". It was already at a disadvantage being an animated movie, and there was nothing else for newcomers or casual fans to get excited over. I love Ninja Turtles, so I do have a bias, but Mutant Mayhem at least had the hook of having the turtles actually being voiced by and acting like modern-day teens, and a cooler, more creative art style. Didn't feel like there was anything fresh here for those not into the franchise like Bumblebee.

• Like 2

Cannot say I'd be that shocked by a disappointing box office fate for the movie based on my initial trailer reaction. It had an uphill battle to earn the interest of the casual dem from the start, and reviews while decent aren't really of the OMG YOU MUST SEE IT variety that its competition next week is getting.

Hopefully that's enough of a breakout hit to revive morale. I'd be very very confident if it weren't for the lack of sales in my own modest population area making me anxious.

Edited by AniNate

I will say, I think Sony's going to feel overjoyed that they ultimately never made that animated Popeye prequel movie they were developing a decade ago, because that would've ran into similar problems Transformers One is running into, and most likely failed. Even harder too, because while at least Transformers still has its diehard fans, no one cares about Popeye in this day and age.

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I will say, I think Sony's going to feel overjoyed that they ultimately never made that animated Popeye prequel movie they were developing a decade ago, because that would've ran into similar problems Transformers One is running into, and most likely failed. Even harder too, because while at least Transformers still has its diehard fans, no one cares about Popeye in this day and age.

Don't see how that's relevant but I think it would have been cool if it saw the light of day anyway. Genndy Tartakovsky is a genius.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Cannot say I'd be that shocked by a disappointing box office fate for the movie based on my initial trailer reaction. It had an uphill battle to earn the interest of the casual dem from the start, and reviews while decent aren't really of the OMG YOU MUST SEE IT variety that its competition next week is getting.

Hopefully that's enough of a breakout hit to revive morale. I'd be very very confident if it weren't the lack of sales in my own modest population area making me anxious.

My lack of confidence is just that it isn't a nostalgic toy commercial. Like I know presales are reportedly good, and the reviews are great, but I've been burned enough when it comes to thinking the masses want to see something that isn't something they grew up with. I'll take Migration numbers domestically as a massive victory and Elemental numbers as some unstoppable force at this point. Oh well!

In hindsight it’s not shocking that TOne is underwhelming. If I wasn’t super hardcore into movies I don’t even think I’d know it’s a thing. I’m also a teacher, and among the kids there’s actually a decent amount of awareness for Joker and Wild Robot, nothing for this at all.

The other thing to consider with TF1 is that the first Spider-Verse movie opened to only $35M in 2018 despite flat-out raves from critics. Even factoring in that it was mid-December that was way off from even the lowest-grossing live-action Spider-Man movies. Considering the floor for live-action Transformers was far lower, $30-35M seems like it would be a reasonable number to expect, and an impressive one! But a $25M weekend...eh, at least Paramount kept its budget in line. I imagine merch sales will be good too. 

17 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

My lack of confidence is just that it isn't a nostalgic toy commercial. Like I know presales are reportedly good, and the reviews are great, but I've been burned enough when it comes to thinking the masses want to see something that isn't something they grew up with. I'll take Migration numbers domestically as a massive victory and Elemental numbers as some unstoppable force at this point. Oh well!

Wouldn't TWR technically be a NTC for middle of the gap Gen Z? 🤔

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I had a feeling projectiones were too high for TF One. I'm a Transformers fan and wasn't thrilled about the trailer.

Transformers the Movie has yet to be topped.

That movie got topped today. It's a shame the marketing seems to have failed it so far.

Edited by electride

6 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

The other thing to consider with TF1 is that the first Spider-Verse movie opened to only $35M in 2018 despite flat-out raves from critics. Even factoring in that it was mid-December that was way off from even the lowest-grossing live-action Spider-Man movies. Considering the floor for live-action Transformers was far lower, $30-35M seems like it would be a reasonable number to expect, and an impressive one! But a $25M weekend...eh, at least Paramount kept its budget in line. I imagine merch sales will be good too. 

I mean I was thinking it was going to open in the 30s for the longest time and I would think that would be an impressive opening. These animated movies based on live-action properties do have a ceiling to them, and Across the Spider-Verse only broke past that because the first movie was hailed as the greatest thing ever created by humans. But I can't help but think 25M would be quite underwhelming from expectations and potential. Sorry to say.

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Wouldn't TWR technically be a NTC for middle of the gap Gen Z? 🤔

I mean I never heard of the movie or book until this year, and I don't think they are even selling any toys or Funko Pops for the movie or whatever, so I'm gonna say no.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

not a shock. This looks like TV show level animation and the blatant celebrity  casting was more of a turn off than draw 

Having seen the movie, it didn't look like TV show level animation at all. You are completely mistaken about this one.

• Like 1