kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Actuals | 35.79M THE WILD ROBOT | 16.22M BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE | 9.16 TRANSFORMERS ONE

It's actually quite sad, that Coppola thinks there's nothing to learn from MCU movies. There's a hell lot of character arc in those movies, something, he wasn't able to create for 30 years and also a lot to take from them. Like many directors, he had his time, was lucky enough to hit a chord with audiences, but basically did 2 great movies that were lucky enought to be lifted above everything else for strange reasons. For whatever reason, Gangster Movies have a special place in movie goers elitist hearts. War movies have, No comedy, no Action movie, ever had the same chance to begin with.

The same with Scorsese.  He basically does the same movie for forever. 

They have a style they go after, that's fine, but they seem not very open minded in terms of movies, so they go after what they don't seem to understand and rip something, they probably haven't even seen and mark it as "not cinema". 

Megalopolis, while only having seen the trailers, seems like the perfect example of a movie by someone having lost contact to the real world. It's fine if he likes it though. Just don't try to define what's cinema for everybody else. 

'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Knock It Off 3

2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

The same with Scorsese.  He basically does the same movie for forever. 

Hilarious that you made a full revisionism of Coppola insane career to defend Marvel, a studio that is no stranger to release a lot of very similar projects, only to complain about Scorsese of all people doing the same movie again and again?

You really think movies like The Last Temptation Of Christ, King Of Comedy, Goodfellas, Shutter Island, Hugo and Flower Moon are similar to each other? lol

• Like 14

9 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Saw Transformers, it’s weirdly not exactly a kids movie but not very mature either. 

You can guess this from the trailer, but the movie as a whole has this weird feel of “who’s the target?”. 

The jokes are childish, yet there’s echoes of Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X in the social dynamics. The action sometimes are violent, yet the plot are simplistic to the point of being boring for adults. 

It’s not bad, pretty okayish and acceptable as it is, but i can see why it’s not clicking despite the semi-good reviews.

Honestly when you put it like that, kinda reminds me of what I thought about Avatar The Last Airbender when I watched a bit of it? Maybe there’s something there?

also why does Coppola deserve slack? Isn’t the man a notorious piece of work?

Edited by CheeseWizard
  • Like 1

Everyone talking FFC when it comes to Megalopolis' failure yet no discussion about how unfortunate Adam Driver becoming the undisputed king of This Had Oscar Buzz of the 2020s is. Definitely feels like he's already hit the "gotta accept whatever semi-promising project I'm offered" era of his career, even if it means something as schlocky as 65.

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Saw Transformers, it’s weirdly not exactly a kids movie but not very mature either. 

You can guess this from the trailer, but the movie as a whole has this weird feel of “who’s the target?”. 

The jokes are childish, yet there’s echoes of Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X in the social dynamics. The action sometimes are violent, yet the plot are simplistic to the point of being boring for adults. 

It’s not bad, pretty okayish and acceptable as it is, but i can see why it’s not clicking despite the semi-good reviews.

Watching it as a non-fan, I honestly felt like how my parents felt whenever they watched any of the Pokemon movies my brother and I watched as kids. Like what the heck is an Energon? Who's Sentinel Prime? Why is this race happening? Who's this guy? What's even going on here?

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, The Wild Eric said:

Watching it as a non-fan, I honestly felt like how my parents felt whenever they watched any of the Pokemon movies my brother and I watched as kids. Like what the heck is an Energon? Who's Sentinel Prime? Why is this race happening? Who's this guy? What's even going on here?

It's definitely razor-focused on Transformers fans first and foremost, at the detriment of the casual audiences they really needed to get on board. Its failure is still sad, but very understandable in retrospect.