kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Friday | 11.32M THE WILD ROBOT | 4.19M BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE | 3.90M DEVARA I

Very good opening for Wild Robot. And great PTA for Saturday Night.

Transformers One drop proves that there's just no interest on it.

I'm not worried about Sonic. That 1st trailer was extremely effective unlike...Transformers One and Gladiator 2 1st trailers.

I do sense a lack of buzz for Smile 2 so we'll see. I'm not expecting much higher than the 1st at all because that was the breakout, won't be the sequel.

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Can't exactly I am satisfied with 35m for TWR considering that didn't come much higher than IF and critics regardTWR is so much superior. 

All I can say is it still beat official tracking and most of the pre TIFF expectations for it. Yeah it didn't do as well as I wanted it to but it's still a baby step forward for the viability of new IP animation. Plus the budget was low so DreamWorks probably isn't sweating it.

T1 underwhelming at the box office has no bearing on what something like Sonic will do. The latter is the third instalment in a guise the audience already know and enjoy.

Big swathes of the Autobots potential audience just didn’t feel that enthused to come out and see an animated Transformers film that looks like this. Simple as that in my opinion. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

D&W with a 2.99 OW multiplier. Should be hitting a fantasic 3x legs in the next few days.

See Feige, this is what happens when you give people what they ACTUALLY want!

I think that 3x multiplier for Deadpool and Wolverine shows more than anything else that if an MCU movie is genuinely good and crowdpleasing, the audiences who aren't the fans will show up. 

You don't get to $630M+ domestically without getting a bunch of people who aren't die-hard MCU or comic-book fans. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

D&W with a 2.99 OW multiplier. Should be hitting a fantasic 3x legs in the next few days.

See Feige, this is what happens when you give people what they ACTUALLY want!

An average movie whith lazy writting?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

44 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I think that 3x multiplier for Deadpool and Wolverine shows more than anything else that if an MCU movie is genuinely good and crowdpleasing, the audiences who aren't the fans will show up. 

You don't get to $630M+ domestically without getting a bunch of people who aren't die-hard MCU or comic-book fans. 

Deadpool & Wolverine doesn't represent most MCU flicks, it's a big event cameo fest people were excited about before they event started shooting it, people love Marvel cameo fests, that doesn't mean non-fans will suddenly show up for Captain America 4 or Thunderbolts.

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Deadpool & Wolverine doesn't represent most MCU flicks, it's a big event cameo fest people were excited about before they event started shooting it, people love Marvel cameo fests, that doesn't mean non-fans will suddenly show up for Captain America 4 or Thunderbolts.

I know the film isn't representive of most MCU flicks, but I do believe that if the movie itself is genuinely good (regardless of it being a cameo fest or not), people will show up. When people enjoy a Marvel movie, they really enjoy it, so I think audiences are far more inclined to see it once they've heard it's good. 

Also (hot take), I think most people who wanted to see Deadpool and Wolverine wanted to see it because of Reynolds and Jackman as these characters and see them together onscreen, not necessarily because of the cameos that were in the movie or hinted/shown in the marketing. 

Don't want to start a debate, but Deadpool and Wolverine's massive (though obvious) success really does boil down to seeing two of the most popular X-Men/Marvel characters with two actors who have perfectly defined those characters on screen together in a movie. The fact that it was a "big event cameo fest" was just an extra cherry on top for people who were already hyped to see the movie (which was a lot). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CheeseWizard said:

Idk, I feel real skeptical here. Granted I’d love if it got to 150M, even more if it got to 170M but I have a bad feeling it might have an even worse drop next week.  

Here's where it stands overseas.

16.6M this weekend

32.8M total

China [8.0M], South Korea [1.4M], and Brazil [0.66M] have just opened.

Germany, the UK, and France open in the coming weeks.

Give that 16.6M weekend a not so good 2× multiplier, you'll still get 33.2M from the current markets for a total of 66.0M. With several markets left to open, this is definitely making more than 70M overseas. Still a low finish, though. What a shame.

• Like 1

If TFOne gets to $150m WW, then it’s not a bomb. A disappointment/underperformance for sure, but not a bomb with a $75m budget.

Still, the marketing team behind it should be ashamed. Completely undermined the movie. It may never have been destined to do big numbers, but it’s a strong enough movie to have done better than this.

1 hour ago, efialtes76 said:

An average movie whith lazy writting?

Yes. When it comes to SH movies i think is clear now that people doesn’t actually want great movies generally speaking, they want to see their favorite heroes together no matter how or why. 

NWH and D&W have some of the worst scripts for MCU and yet they’re by far the biggest movies for Marvel in years with awesome legs because they delivered the only thing people want from them: cameo fest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice,' 'Transformers One' Fly Above 'The Wild Robot' Internationally (variety.com)

The headline downplays it but Wild Robot had an excellent hold in Australia, apparently increased about 30% from its true opening weekend ($1.15m) and now at $4.5m USD gross:

Second weekend hold comps:

KFP4 +10%

Elemental: -14%

The Bad Guys: -17%

Inside Out 2: -18%

IF: -28%

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Here's where it stands overseas.

16.6M this weekend

32.8M total

China [8.0M], South Korea [1.4M], and Brazil [0.66M] have just opened.

Germany, the UK, and France open in the coming weeks.

Give that 16.6M weekend a not so good 2× multiplier, you'll still get 33.2M from the current markets for a total of 66.0M. With several markets left to open, this is definitely making more than 70M overseas. Still a low finish, though. What a shame.

Tbh it was probably a bit much assuming this would make major cash. Septembers highest grossing animated movie is fucking Hotel Transylvania 2, and that didn’t even get past 500M. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if TFone and Wild Robot can’t match that number combined.

Shame or not though, that still might actually be enough to get a sequel? Apparently the budget was split 3-ways by new republic, paramount and Hasbro, meaning that toy sales would go to this movie’s success aswell like mutant mayhem. If that’s the case, then it might actually be considered a success in spite of everything. Probably helped by Hasbro basing the 2025 transformers toyline on the god pantheon shown in the movie.

Edited by CheeseWizard

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice,' 'Transformers One' Fly Above 'The Wild Robot' Internationally (variety.com)

The headline downplays it but Wild Robot had an excellent hold in Australia, apparently increased about 30% from its true opening weekend ($1.15m) and now at $4.5m USD gross:

Second weekend hold comps:

KFP4 +10%

Elemental: -14%

The Bad Guys: -17%

Inside Out 2: -18%

IF: -28%

Transformers adding 11 markets and still dropping 44% is more rough news. Edit: not atrocious or anything but I'd hope for an overall stronger hold. 

Is Australia on a holiday period right now or anything? That's a really good jump. 

Edited by wattage

12 minutes ago, wattage said:

Transformers adding 11 markets and still dropping 44% is more rough news. Edit: not atrocious or anything but I'd hope for an overall stronger hold. 

Is Australia on a holiday period right now or anything? That's a really good jump. 

I think there are school holidays going on.

Assuming Joker does at worst case 45 m and Wild Robot drops only 30% or to at least 23+ and Beetlejuice does in the 10-12 next weekend those 3 movies will do at least 78+ then nothing to get bummed out expect that we wanted a lot more. That weekend last year the whole Top 10 total was 65 million led by the Exorcist sequel. The following weekend though will be rough with the ERA"s comp coming in and Joker probably dropping hard 

Edited by emoviefan