Eric is Gay for Venom

VENOM: THE LAST DANCE WEEKEND THREAD

6 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:
6 hours ago, Mickiland16 said:

Just a random question but since this is the Venom weekend thread, other than Joker is there any CBM villain that could get a movie as big as the first Venom? Or at least close to that 

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

X-Men First Class was more or less the Magneto origin story

It's worth stressing this is literally true. Another name for First Class could be "the project that started out as X-Men: Origins - Magneto" and as AniNate points out you can really tell how much of the DNA remains.

My sense is that this little tidbit has fallen out of popular memory but I'd be interested to know if that's wrong. I remember being very excited for that film back in the day (before the project was scrapped/evolved I recall Ian McKellen talked about Fox exploring CGI deaging him in the vein of Indiana Jones 5 [or the brief scene in X-Men 3]). Fox was smart to bet that coming out of X3 audiences would be interested in both Magneto's origin and more Wolverine films they just completely botched Origins: Wolverine leading them to quietly kill the brand and do a differently branded series of origin stories a few years later.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

giphy.gif

https://deadline.com/2024/10/box-office-venom-the-last-dance-1236158112/

For the big hurdle keeping men out of cinemas is ‘Sportsageddon’: The LA Dodgers first face off in 43 years with the New York Yankees at the World Series kicks off tonight, plus USC Football and LA Lakers have home games. Los Angeles was a big driver of 2021’s Venom: Let There Be Carnage with eleven of the top 20 grossing theaters, but this weekend, don’t expect so much with Sony/Marvel’s Venom: The Last Dance now doing a $21M Friday (including last night’s previews) for an opening in the low $50Ms at 4,131 theaters. Hopefully this doesn’t drop further. Audience scores at 77% on Rotten Tomatoes are just under that of the first Venom (80%) and Venom: Let There Be Carnage (84%).

Paramount’s Smile 2 is second at 3,624 sites with$3.2M today, for a second weekend of $10.8M, -53% with a running total of $42.1M. 

Universal’s Wild Robot won’t break down out of the top 5 with a fifth weekend of $6M, -41%, after a $1.7M Friday and running total of $110.8M at 3,422 sites.

Cineverse’s Terrifier 3 could upset the top 5 with a third weekend of $5.5M at 2,720 theaters, -41%, for a running total of $45.2M. Friday is $1.7M. 

Focus Features’ wide opening of its critically acclaimed and awards season chip Conclave at 1,753 locations is seeing $2.1M today, and $5.3M for the weekend, which is in between $4M-$6M projection. More on that later this weekend. 

A24’s wide break of We Live in Time at 2,924 locations (+1,939 sites) is eyeing $1.5M today, a third weekend of $4.2M, which is even with its second frame’s $4.185M, for a running total of $11.1M.

• Like 3

A24’s wide break of We Live in Time at 2,924 locations (+1,939 sites) is eyeing $1.5M today, a third weekend of $4.2M, which is even with its second frame’s $4.185M, for a running total of $11.1M.

We Live in time is following Priscilla's run closely. 

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Oct 27, 2023 - $132,139   4 $33,035   $132,139 1
Nov 3, 2023 4 $5,040,003 +3,714% 1,359 $3,709   $5,265,523 2
Nov 10, 2023 4 $4,601,900 -9% 2,361 $1,949   $12,538,062 3
  • Like 1

It's difficult for movies to keep posting increases once they're in 800+ theaters, so WLIT staying flat with last weekend would be a nice W, IMO. It'll be one of A24's top 15 biggest hits, so I'm sure they're pleased with the run. 

Conclave making $2M+ today would also be really promising, and it feels like a movie that could have "it's got a crazy twist!" WOM and leg out. 

3 kids and the boyfriend saw Venom tonight...boys all loved it.  I heard this was a great "friendship" movie.

The girl said she didn't find anything wrong with it, but it just didn't come together for her - she said horror, comedy, and heartwarming just didn't meld.

Better reviews from my 12-21 group than I thought, but between them and the 13-21 year old men that dominated the screening (another college one where you could bring a friend - thus how my younger boys went) and liked it, and the few girls that were there and didn't seem to love it...genders may split hard on their like of the movie...