Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

We're not gonna see the ramifications of this merger for a while, but there will be big ones. AT&T is fucking over HBO so bad, despite that being the best channel on TV, all due to corporate restructuring - so I don't have too much faith in what'll happen to FX or FXX soon. 

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The merger has nothing to do with this movie floundering and what Fox has done with it - ditto X-Men- Phoenix. 

Do you think the spin offs projects like X-Force and Kitty Pride were canceled because Fox thought would be bad ideas? It has nothing to do with the merger?

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The merger has nothing to do with this movie floundering and what Fox has done with it - ditto X-Men- Phoenix. 

It is extremely naive to think the merger didn't have a huge effect on these X-Men movies at FOX. They didn't even start production on the next Deadpool, there is literally no other reason to explain that. Many of the people in charge are probably looking for a new job.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is extremely naive to think the merger didn't have a huge effect on these X-Men movies at FOX. They didn't even start production on the next Deadpool, there is literally no other reason to explain that. Many of the people in charge are probably looking for a new job.

The explanation is that Fox wasn't satisfied with them - which is why there were all those rumors of needed re-shoots and all the delays even while bidding was also going on with Comcast.  Or are we blaming Universal too?  WB has been going through the AT&T deal for even longer and managed to keep their film slate in hand (and yes layoffs and restructuring is and will be happening there as well)

If they were indeed spending their time looking for jobs instead then good luck in finding new jobs when they were unable to do the jobs they were paid for over a year.  Blaming Disney for Fox's internal incompetence is a joke.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The explanation is that Fox wasn't satisfied with them - which is why there were all those rumors of needed re-shoots and all the delays even while bidding was also going on with Comcast.  Or are we blaming Universal too?  WB has been going through the AT&T deal for even longer and managed to keep their film slate in hand (and yes layoffs and restructuring is and will be happening there as well)

If they were indeed spending their time looking for jobs instead then good luck in finding new jobs when they were unable to do the jobs they were paid for over a year.  Blaming Disney for Fox's internal incompetence is a joke.

Reshoots were supposed to make the film scarier and would begin in late September last year, well after Disney-Fox negotiations had advanced (and some agencies and departments had already approved the merger). Do you think it had nothing to do?

29 minutes ago, TMP said:

A multi-billion dollar conglomerate like Disney are the last people that need to be defended online. That's like defending AT&T or Comcast

It's not about defending it's about calling bull on people passing the buck from Fox - also a multi billion dollar conglomerate to Disney for no rational reason except they hate Disney. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Litio said:

Reshoots were supposed to make the film scarier and would begin in late September last year, well after Disney-Fox negotiations had advanced (and some agencies and departments had already approved the merger). Do you think it had nothing to do?

After that Fox was still announcing things like the Doom Movie since they had to continue on with business as usual if the merger fell through.

Disney can't  legally make scheduling or any business decisions for Fox until the merger is completely approved.  I know to many here the merger is all about the Marvel rights but that is a drop in the bucket as to why the merger took place.  Disney is not going to sabotage a 70 Billion plus deal over two X-Men movies.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crossfire said:

Wouldn't Fox be the ones promoting it? I'm pretty sure Fox is still gonna exist under Disney. 

In name only. Fox's movie division will fold into Disney. Downsizing (restructuring) and Layoffs are poised to happen.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

After that Fox was still announcing things like the Doom Movie since they had to continue on with business as usual if the merger fell through.

Disney can't  legally make scheduling or any business decisions for Fox until the merger is completely approved.  I know to many here the merger is all about the Marvel rights but that is a drop in the bucket as to why the merger took place.  Disney is not going to sabotage a 70 Billion plus deal over two X-Men movies.

The announcement of the Doom movie had been way before. July 2017 at Comic Con.
By the end of June 2018, the US Department of Justice had already given antitrust approval to Disney. A big step for the merger. 

Disney can't take decisions but can influence them.

Lauren Shuler Donner Confirms Fox Marvel Movies on Hold; Wants ‘X-Men’ Franchise to “Evolve”

1 minute ago, Litio said:

The announcement of the Doom movie had been way before. July 2017 at Comic Con.
By the end of June 2018, the US Department of Justice had already given antitrust approval to Disney. A big step for the merger. 

Disney can't take decisions but can influence them.

Lauren Shuler Donner Confirms Fox Marvel Movies on Hold; Wants ‘X-Men’ Franchise to “Evolve”

Legally, no they can't influence them either. 

But that doesn't matter in regards to Phoenix and New Mutants.  Both these movies were already done filming by then and they've had over a year to release them.  They weren't in any different position than they were with Alita.

From that interview you can tell Donner wasn't exactly enthused about continuing X-Men as the franchise stood and you'd think she'd sound more excited or at least act more excited when she still had to release it in (at that time) a few months.

Are you hoping to see the main X-Men franchise continue on, after Dark Phoenix?

DONNER:  I want it to go in a different direction, very much. I think we’ve played that out and it needs to evolve. I don’t know. There are lots of stories. There are some great stories to do, especially with Cable and with X-Force. I’d love to see it. I really would. But, I don’t know.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Legally, no they can't influence them either. 

They indirectly influenced and that is not illegal.

But that doesn't matter in regards to Phoenix and New Mutants.  Both these movies were already done filming by then and they've had over a year to release them.  They weren't in any different position than they were with Alita.

If it doesn't matter, why did Fox remade the third act of Dark Phoenix (prob to get a more conclusive ending)? If Fox gave up doing the Dark Phoenix trilogy because of the future merger, why is it so hard to believe that New Mutants has not been released yet because of the merger and Disney's plans for X-men?

Alita could be a new franchise in Disney. X-Men will be rebooted. The position is different.

From that interview you can tell Donner wasn't exactly enthused about continuing X-Men as the franchise stood and you'd think she'd sound more excited or at least act more excited when she still had to release it in (at that time) a few months.

She wanted to expand the franchise and show new stories. I agree. I didn't understand your point.

21 hours ago, AJG said:

Just Spidey.

They own Hulk and Namor but the distribution rights are owned by Universal.

The Kingpin is split between Sony and Disney

Apparently Disney also own the rights to the 80's Howard the Duck movie.

No apparently about it. Howard the Duck was a Lucasarts film, and Disney got the rights when they bought Lucafilms.

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

THIS.

Fox was having problems with Phonix and New Mutants well before the the deal with Disney was announced.

And the disappointing box office for Apocalpyse made Fox take a second look at it's potential X Men projects..most of which were still in the talking about stage anyway.

And how can you blame Disney for the Gambit fiasco? Which I think Fox finally pulled the plug on.

And for those who think that Fox is somehow noble and goo I have two words for you;

RUPERT MURDOCH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TMP said:

A multi-billion dollar conglomerate like Disney are the last people that need to be defended online. That's like defending AT&T or Comcast

I've said this before many times and I'll say it again: people angry about the merger can direct their feelings towards Fox, NOT Disney. Fox are the ones who threw in the towel and gave up. They sold out. Disney just pounced on the opportunity. Universal was in the mix too.

So I don't think people are necessarily defending Disney, they're just saying stop blindly yelling at big, bad, evil Disney.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neucentro said:

In name only. Fox's movie division will fold into Disney. Downsizing (restructuring) and Layoffs are poised to happen.

Which would have happened even if Fox had been sold to COMCAST.

If you blame anybody blame Rupert Murdoch . He is the one who decided to get The Newhouse corporation..the mother corporation of Fox Studios..out of the movie business. Once the decision has been made to sell, it was only a question of who would offer the best deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Which would have happened even if Fox had been sold to COMCAST.

If you blame anybody blame Rupert Murdoch . He is the one who decided to get The Newhouse corporation..the mother corporation of Fox Studios..out of the movie business. Once the decision has been made to sell, it was only a question of who would offer the best deal.

Exactly!!