Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Eh, I don't know if obliterate is the right word. SM3 with 3D and inflation is close to $70m. But I sure hope Avengers can beat it. SM3 is garbage.

I meant to say if 70m is the minimum which RTX seems to be implying. 200m is falling... holy hell.

So Saturday and Sunday records will fall. If this was July, Monday record would fall too.

Since it's May I'm 99% sure second weekend record is falling

Well I'm a child of the 1980's, the 1st Superman film changed the Superhero Genre so it will always be #1 to me. Batman 89 revitalized the genre also so it has to get the nod at 2nd place. "The Dark Knight" was a superhero masterpiece so it comes in at 3rd, I can't put it over Batman 89 cause Keaton was a better batman and I liked Jack's Joker better even though Heath's is right there. The Avengers is now in 4th place cause it was pure Comic Joy from start to finish. Spider-man 2 was just an amazing movie and Blade was all sort of awesome, probably had the best opening of any comic movie.

Yeah I'm generation X all the way.Your top 5 is one of the closest I've ever seen to my own and I've seen ALOT of top CBM list.I'm glad you liked Avengers. It probably means it'll make my top 5 as well (I see it Sunday). :D

List of Records so far:

[*]Biggest Superhero / comic book Midnights

[*]Biggest Friday (excluding midnights) - Day Only

[*]Biggest Saturday

[*]Fastest to 100m (debatable but i'll lease it here for now)

[*]Biggest Total after 2 Days

This list is grow exponentially over the next few days i think.

Well, I just got back from a 7:45 PM showing, and that was sold out. I was talking to the theater manager after I got out, and he said all of the screenings, right up to the latest showings, have been sold out. And each showing had three screens going.

I saw TA tonight. Entertaining as fuck.I have to say this: this is not my favorite superhero film of all time, BUT...I'd wager that this is the superhero film that feels like a superhero film the most, if that makes any sense. What I mean is that, as fantastic as TDK is, TA does not feel "ashamed" to wear its superhero comic credentials on its sleeve. It was colorful, action-packed, it had strong characterization, and it had that Marvel-ish humor that most Marvel comics have nowadays. Basically, it was the most faithful adaptation of a Marvel comic book I have ever seen. And by the way, Whedon's typical humor, the kind that annoys the hell out of me, was there, but it didn't overwhelm the proceedings. At least it did not feel like that to me. Now all I hope is that they PLEASE add Ms. Marvel or any other female to the mix for the sequel. The sausage fest is ok, but come on...who would not want to see Wanda or Carol in a sequel? All in all, I had a great time, and I continue eating crow, happily.

• Like 2

Warner Bros is so clueless when it comes to superheroes. It's tragic because they're sitting on a potential goldmine.There only ace is Nolan and he will be moving on eventually.WB should just let Marvel Studios handle their shit and watch the royalty checks pour in.

It's easy to say they are sitting on a goldmine, but the elements just aren't really there for a cohesive super-hero universe. The big names, Superman and Batman, work better alone. The B types, such as Green Lantern and Flash, have powers and personalities that just aren't very entertaining, and they lack the rich backdrop and supporting cast that Batman and Superman enjoy. I wouldn't even attempt a second GL or first Flash film. Wonder Woman is probably not ever going to be bankable. No way no how.WB's focus right now should be getting a Superman franchise up and running again. Maybe, just maybe, they'll strike gold with Snyder's vision. I'd bet against it but he might pull something out of his hat. He has an eye for thre outlandish and visually striking, which might be the shot in the arm Superman needs.There are other properties of course. Not really blockbuster material, but Legion of Super-Heroes could be something. Suicide Squad.Then there is Jack Kirby's Fourth World. Despite never really being a hugely successful comic property, this one could be a hail mary success on the big screen. It would have to be pitch perfect.WB should get the rights to Image and (former) Valiant properties and develop those.

Sold out matinees all day long. Not sure how many sell outs for the evening but there were plenty. How much realistically can this film make today?

Whatever the amount is it is possibly the upper limits of what the box office can handle.It will not be easy to break Avengers new daily and OW records.

There are 4 reasons why im glad Avengers is doing these numbers. 1. The marketing was A+, 2. 2012 has been insane, 3. witnessing this is :lol: 4. IT WAS A GREAT MOVIE, I LOVEEEE WHEN GREAT MOVIES DO BIG, DESERVING NUMBERS, LEGGO 500M! I STILL cant believe the final numbers for Shrek 3, AIW, TF2, the Twilights, and Alvin 2.

Edited by jandrew

Wow... does everyone realise that The Avengers will have:Outgrossed The Incredible Hulk in 2 daysWill outgross Captain America, Thor in 3 days (could be within 30m of both films after only 2 days )

And deservedly so. Those three films were three POS, especially TIH and CA. THOR was the least shitty of the three, in no small part because the lead has charisma to power a small nation.