Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

• Founder / Operator

Maybe I ask why is TA opening this big? I dont know much about the comics, but does the hype on TA simply equal Ironman, Thor, Hulk and so on combined together? I mean, the biggest of them is Ironman 2, which only opened to a 128m wknd.

My take is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and that the film, in some ways, acted as the quasi-finale to a franchise. Five films have been building up to this massive meet-up. Similar to how the middle Potter flicks served as less interesting to mainstream viewers, installments like Hulk/Cap/Thor were just filler for most non-comic fans.
  • Like 1

We can use it to write up Battleship's tombstone, as well. :lol:

Battleship and Dark Shadows could be buried next to each other in the Avengers cemetery. :bop:

Wow, so last night we were all hinting that this was going to be bigger than Nikki let on and it fully delivered that. OW record is gone, 200m OW is in play. Can't wait to see what kind of a Saturday this thing is gonna pull off.

I don't even need an IM3 (though I know it's coming). Why bother with all these isolated movies?* It's much more fun to see 'em all together.

* I know, I know: $$$

I wouldn't dismiss a more ambitious Iron Man, I want to see it :) They need to become stronger before fighting you-know-who in The Avengers 2 ;)

• Founder / Operator

I don't even need an IM3 (though I know it's coming). Why bother with all these isolated movies?* It's much more fun to see 'em all together.

* I know, I know: $$$

To be fair, I think the individual movies provide an important (and overlooked) necessity: character development. A movie like Avengers can't afford much time to make you sympathize with or understand every single top-tier character. Its built on its nature as a popcorn flick and non-fans have to go into the movie with at least some understanding of each character and where they come from. Context, basically.

My take is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and that the film, in some ways, acted as the quasi-finale to a franchise. Five films have been building up to this massive meet-up. Similar to how the middle Potter flicks served as less interesting to mainstream viewers, installments like Hulk/Cap/Thor were just filler for most non-comic fans.

So basically films like CA and Thor were just big trailers for TA. Well, they paid off indeed.

• Founder / Operator

Yea it definitely looks like Garbage truck juice.

Its kind of funny... I look at Avengers as the kind of popcorn movie with substance that Michael Bay has been trying for years to make (and, in many's eyes, failing at -- even though I personally enjoy most of his work). Battleship, meanwhile, is a blatant and almost insulting attempt to capitalize on Bay's biggest and most well-liked success...without him having a single thing to do with it.I love this industry. :lol:

• Founder / Operator

So basically films like CA and Thor were just big trailers for TA. Well, they paid off indeed.

They definitely felt that way. Especially CA, IMO.

TA is still #31 on Imdb Top 250. I love The Avengers, but seriously, better than Citizen Kane and Amadeus?

Never seen Amadeus, but sorry, Citizen Kane is seriously overrated, and down right sucked. I saw that movie a long time ago when I was a teen, and didn't care for it. Later on, when I was in my mid twenties, I decided to give it another try, (some movies I disliked as a kid I ended up liking as an adult, maturity factor kicking in) and I still couldn't get passed the first half. Movie has terrible pacing issues.

No it won't. I calculated a 60% 3D share with 30% higher prices for opening day and it came out to a 16% boost. TDK adjusts to $581m without 3D. Add the 16% 3D boost and it's $674m.

That adjustment for TDK is wrong. It's using the 4th quarter of 2011 average price of tickets. It doesn't work for individual films because its an average for that quarter alone and that factors in the 2D/IMAX/3D ratio for that QUARTER ONLY. It's better to just use BOM's ticket sale estimate and apply prices accordingly. We know that TDK finished with around 50M in IMAX, and 483M in 2D. From there, you want to find the 2008 2D and IMAX prices. The 2011 price for 2D tickets as per Consumerist (magazine under The Consumer Report), was $7.60, so the idea would be to divide by an inflation multiplier to adjust for 2008 prices. IMAX average price we can only guess at.