21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Dark Shadows

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's perfectly fine if you go in just wanting something breezy. The 70's-ness is really fun and Johnny Depp is great. But, it should be longer. Character development is glossed over quite jarringly and results in an incomplete feeling film.B

Very relieved to say that I enjoyed it. Gorgeous visuals, music (score and soundtrack) and good acting all around especially from Depp, Pfeiffer and Green.It is, however, the weirdest movie I think I've ever seen. One minute it's funny, the next it's deeply serious, the next it's camp, the next it's full on old-school horror. The tone is impossible to define, but I can easily say that this is not the movie that is beig advertised.There's a certain subplot thrown in at the end that is so poorly done and unnecessary and the end is every bit the mess it's made out to be, an entertaining mess though.I had a blast, some major issues aside. And it just reaffirms, for better for worse, that despite the grief Burton gets for repeating himself, there's nobody making films like him.

• Like 2

Really really liked it! Fantastic cinematography, perfect music, the costumes were stunning and the acting was really good.As ddddeeee sadi, it is a very weird and odd film. Probably will end up being one of my favourites from Tim Burton I think in the end.But also the storyline in a few places did feel a bit disjointed, but overall it was a blast!And its definitely not like the trailer, i didn't laugh at all in the movie (out loud), but i did find it very amusing... Its just not a laugh out loud movie :)

Ok, saw it tonight. It was ok, had a few belly laughs here and there mostly due to Barnabass's fish out of water situation (which reminded me eerily of Hocus Pocus). Also, between this and Sweeney Todd I'm starting to think Burton is projecting some frustrations on his wife via Depp.. :lol:Of course all the technical stuff was marvelous as per usual for Burton. Thought the film was a little overlong, the story was a bit jumbled, and I can't say I felt anything for any of the characters... so it was just alright. Didn't hate it, didn't love it.6.5/10

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

It was ok, had a few belly laughs here and there mostly due to Barnabass's fish out of water situation (which reminded me eerily of Hocus Pocus).

I know! First thing I thought of when Barnabas was on the road was "This is just like Hocus Pocus."

Anyway, I enjoyed most of the movie, though I hated the constant tone shifting. The last 20 minutes of the film were the best part IMO, because it was the only part with cohesion. It's where it stopped switching between camp and seriousness.

Eva Green is hot.

B-

I honestly have no idea what I saw last night. This is the strangest, weirdest, most uneven film I think I have ever seen. I've seen some John Waters films like Female Trouble, so I know what weird is, but this takes the cake. It wasn't scary, it wasn't funny, there was no extreme gore, no nudity, it was just fucking weird. I don't even really know what it's about or who its audience is.3/10

I honestly have no idea what I saw last night. This is the strangest, weirdest, most uneven film I think I have ever seen. I've seen some John Waters films like Female Trouble, so I know what weird is, but this takes the cake. It wasn't scary, it wasn't funny, there was no extreme gore, no nudity, it was just fucking weird. I don't even really know what it's about or who its audience is.3/10

After a few days, I'm inclined to agree. Completely forgettable. Leaves no lasting impression... Although I did think it was sporadically funny.

Very sporadic humour indeed. Depp is awesome and I enjoyed his performance, but the story is so mishandled. The werewolf stuff at the end, his love for Victoria, her bacckstory about her parents, David's mom just screaming to "kill" the chick, it was all just so random.

This was the wierdest movie ever. Depp was fun, as was Green, but it was so uneven and odd that it was just crap. There was actually a lot of potential in it, if it was given some time to flesh a lot more of it out. But after leaving the theatre not knowing what to think, upon reflection it was just crap.D

It definitely should have been better. Despite enjoying it, it's an immensely frustrating film. Visuals are great, casting is spot-on, costumes/production design/music all technical stuff is fantastic, the script is just really quite pants. And I'm a fan of SGS' work in general. This team could have easily made a fantastic Dark Shadows movie, Burton really, really needs to start choosing better scripts or just stick with August. I'm pretty concerned that SGS has already penned another script for Burton.

I liked it a lot. It is the most fun film so far of 2012. I loved the uniqueness of the film. Great art direction, good visuals, good score, and good acting. The screenplay could have been better. I think this film is underrated.6.5/10

I voted B but my caveat is it's more B-/C+The marketing really sold this as a dark comedy. If you'd told me off of trailers that is was a distant cousin to Vampire in Brooklyn then you'd guess wrong having seen the film.Take everything with Alice Cooper out of this movie and it goes up a full letter grade.