CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

Saturday - There is a Game 7 in Los Angeles which will attract alot attention and a Game 1 2nd round which will garner less but could still depress L.A., Boston, Denver, and Philly markets. I'm rooting for a Thor like Saturday jump because it's the only avenue to $100million unless millions of sons everywhere take their moms to see TA on Sunday.

TA doesn't need Thor like Saturday increase. In fact, if it followed Thor rest of the weekend it will make more than 110M.

Looks like overseas is dying down. Was hoping for a bigger increase to get this to a billion. Don't think it's gonna make it. Looks like Mon or Tues though.

Drop isn't bad from last Friday. Monday is the latest I see for 1B OS and remember Saturday and Sunday OS are huge so 1B by Sunday is possible.

Looks like overseas is dying down. Was hoping for a bigger increase to get this to a billion. Don't think it's gonna make it. Looks like Mon or Tues though.

Last friday was 30.3M, and the OS weekend was 157.4M.so it's still possible for another 100M weekend.

TA doesn't need Thor like Saturday increase. In fact, if it followed Thor rest of the weekend it will make more than 110M.

Yes, that's my point. If it followed Thor, i.e. 66% Saturday increase. Here's my prediction, assuming the $29mil holds. I hope my Saturday increase is low.$29,000,000$43,500,000 (50% increase)$30,500,000 (30% drop, in line with previous Mother Day decreases)nearly $103 million.

I know this is crazy talk (even for this website :P ), but, according to BOM, in only 8 days of release, it has 299M DOM and 533M OS for a grand total of 832M WW. My question in relating this to Avatar is: does this have the capability to reach 2B WW? I mean... its already at 1B by Sunday or Monday at the latest, so... what do you guys think?

Edited by MasterDodsen

I know this is crazy talk (even for this website :P ), but, according to BOM, in only 8 days of release, it has 299M DOM and 533M OS for a grand total of 832M WW. My question in relating this to Avatar is: does this have the capability to reach 2B WW? I mean... its already at 1B by Sunday or Monday at the latest, so... what do you guys think?

Nah, more like 1.5B.

With a $29.1 million gross Friday, Disney's "The Avengers" is out adventuring for the soph sesh domestic B.O. record, but it may require a slightly stronger hold to beat it.Compared with last Friday, the actioner is performing 64% below its opening weekend. This is a reasonable drop for a B.O. buster like "Avengers," but if it persists through Sunday, pic will fall barely short of beating "Avatar's" second frame feat of $75.5 million

Damn Variety really are clueless, i can't see how this doesn't beat 75mil.

That...is ...just pathetic.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Nah. Its not getting anywhere near that mark. Its only major market left to open in is Japan (in August, IIRC). DH2's $1.3b is the last realistic target at this point.

With a $29.1 million gross Friday, Disney's "The Avengers" is out adventuring for the soph sesh domestic B.O. record, but it may require a slightly stronger hold to beat it.Compared with last Friday, the actioner is performing 64% below its opening weekend. This is a reasonable drop for a B.O. buster like "Avengers," but if it persists through Sunday, pic will fall barely short of beating "Avatar's" second frame feat of $75.5 million

Damn Variety really are clueless, i can't see how this doesn't beat 75mil.

How... Do they think that Saturday and Sunday combined will be less than 46M combined? When has any Saturday been less than a Friday that wasn't on OW? These people are just plain morons.
  • Like 3

Nah. Its not getting anywhere near that mark. Its only major market left to open in is Japan (in August, IIRC). DH2's $1.3b is the last realistic target at this point.

The Avengers:#3 All-time Domestic#3 All-time Worldwide