Weekend Ranking (07/12-13)

Posted Image

01 (01) Maleficent (Disney) Week 2
02 (02) Edge of Tomorrow (Warner Bros.) Week 2
03 (--) Say, "I Love You" (Shochiku) DEBUT
04 (03) Frozen (Disney) Week 18
05 (04) Mission Impossible: Samurai (Shochiku) Week 4
06 (07) The Grudge: The Beginning of the End (Showgate) Week 3
07 (06) Anpanman: The Apple Boy and Everyone's Wishes (Tokyo Theaters, Co.) Week 2
08 (05) Thirst (Gaga) Week 3
09 (--) Divergent (Kadokawa) DEBUT
10 (--) K: Missing Kings (Movic) DEBUT

>Maleficent held very strong in its second week, dropping just 13% to earn ¥604,556,200 ($6.0 million) with 434,129 admissions.  After 9-days, its total is up to ¥1.97 billion ($19.4 million) and 1.45 million admissions.  A total of ¥4.5 billion ($45 million) is pretty much locked now, and a total above ¥5 billion ($50 million+) is looking more likely making Japan its best market overseas.  

>Say, "I Love You debuted in third place (second in admissions) with ¥159,590,500 ($1.5 million) and 135,801 admissions on 246 screens.  As I suspected, teens and young couples were the primary audiences with an avg. ticket price of just ¥1,175 ($11.6), about 10% below the national average.  It's still a decent start and should end up a little above ¥1 billion ($10/11 million).

>Frozen slides to 4th place in its 18th-week of release, and has now grossed ¥24.88 billion ($244.2 million) and 19.55 million admissions.  It is still the #3 film of all-time in revenue, but it did surpass Tokyo Olympiad (19.50 million) in admissions to become the #2 most-attended film of all-time behind Spirited Away (23.5 million).

>Mission Impossible: Samurai exceeded the ¥1 billion ($10 million) mark after 4 weeks in release with an ¥84 million ($830,000) weekend.  Its weekly numbers are still high enough that it could reach ¥1.5 billion ($15 million).  

>Divergent finally made it to Japan and few cared.  The film only took in ¥40,672,500 ($401,000) with 31,382 admissions on 199 screens.  The debut was 11% behind the opening of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire last December.  After Twilight, The Hunger Games, Beautiful Creatures, and now Divergent, it's clear the YA genre isn't going to catch on here and I bet they'll have issues seeing a theatrical release soon since they keep opening lower and lower to the point of struggling to make the Top 10.

>K: Missing Kings makes a surprised 10th place debut.  No weekend figures are available, but it was able to make the Top 10 on just 33 screens.  This is also the first time I've ever seen a Movic release make the Top 10, or anywhere close to it.  

With the exception of Maleficent, the box-office has been in its usual pre-Summer slump, but the Summer season officially begins this upcoming weekend with Studio Ghibli's new film, Memories of Marnie, the first Pokemon XY series film, Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie, a new Kamen Rider film, and Disney's Planes: Fire & Rescue.  And the big releases won't stop until late August with Godzilla, Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Stand By Me, Doraemon, and more to come.
  • Like 4

Posted Image

07 (06) Anpanman: The Apple Boy and Everyone's Wishes (Tokyo Theaters, Co.) Week 2

>Maleficent held very strong in its second week, dropping just 13% to earn ¥604,556,200 ($6.0 million) with 434,129 admissions.  After 9-days, its total is up to ¥1.97 billion ($19.4 million) and 1.45 million admissions.  A total of ¥4.5 billion ($45 million) is pretty much locked now, and a total above ¥5 billion ($50 million+) is looking more likely making Japan its best market overseas.  

>Say, "I Love You debuted in third place (second in admissions) with ¥159,590,500 ($1.5 million) and 135,801 admissions on 246 screens.  As I suspected, teens and young couples were the primary audiences with an avg. ticket price of just ¥1,175 ($11.6), about 10% below the national average.  It's still a decent start and should end up a little above ¥1 billion ($10/11 million).

>Frozen slides to 4th place in its 18th-week of release, and has now grossed ¥24.88 billion ($244.2 million) and 19.55 million admissions.  It is still the #3 film of all-time in revenue, but it did surpass Tokyo Olympiad (19.50 million) in admissions to become the #2 most-attended film of all-time behind Spirited Away (23.5 million).

>Mission Impossible: Samurai exceeded the ¥1 billion ($10 million) mark after 4 weeks in release with an ¥84 million ($830,000) weekend.  Its weekly numbers are still high enough that it could reach ¥1.5 billion ($15 million).  

>Divergent finally made it to Japan and few cared.  The film only took in ¥40,672,500 ($401,000) with 31,382 admissions on 199 screens.  The debut was 11% behind the opening of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire last December.  After Twilight, The Hunger Games, Beautiful Creatures, and now Divergent, it's clear the YA genre isn't going to catch on here and I bet they'll have issues seeing a theatrical release soon since they keep opening lower and lower to the point of struggling to make the Top 10.

>K: Missing Kings makes a surprised 10th place debut.  No weekend figures are available, but it was able to make the Top 10 on just 33 screens.  This is also the first time I've ever seen a Movic release make the Top 10, or anywhere close to it.  

With the exception of Maleficent, the box-office has been in its usual pre-Summer slump, but the Summer season officially begins this upcoming weekend with Studio Ghibli's new film, Memories of Marnie, the first Pokemon XY series film, Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie, a new Kamen Rider film, and Disney's Planes: Fire & Rescue.  And the big releases won't stop until late August with Godzilla, Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Stand By Me, Doraemon, and more to come.

Posted Image

Do You know if any of these releases can take number one place from Maleficent?

I know that the international movies are weak, but I don't know about local films.

If it gets one more week with low drop, 50+ will be assured.

Pokemon won't have much influence on the box office imo (at least not the other major movies). It's kind of just there, always attracting the same 3-3.5 million people during its run year after year (maybe slightly more this year because it's the first movie of a new generation) without much impact on other big releases. 'Memories of Marnie' however is another matter, not to mention it has female protagonists as does 'Maleficient' so they might be attracting the same crowd.

Edited by Cynosure

Don't worry about anything killing anything really.  Competition is rarely a factor aside from screen distribution, and that doesn't matter too much during the summer vacation that's about to begin.  

The next four/five weeks especially can handle literally anything released at the same time.  Mid-July through Mid-August usually has 4 or 5 (sometimes more) major releases open the same week or a week apart, and they all thrive.  Even films you might think would cannibalize each other do just fine.  There are many Summers with a Studio Ghibli film, a Pixar film, and a Pokemon film all release a week or two apart or even against each other.

Pokemon doesn't affect anything, and vice-versa, because it sells half of its admissions in advance ticket sales. This years film likely already has a good 1.5-2 million tickets sold (something like $15-20 million in sales).  Pokemon advance ticket sales blow everything else out of the water (they're even in the Guinness Book of World Records).  Movie 11 I believe sold some 2.7 or so million ticket in advance, more than any animated film in the world prior to release.

Edited by Corpse

Disney has held on to the #1 box office spot in Japan for 18 consecutive weekends (over 1/3 of 2014 ... very impressive)

When was the last time a studio had this record ? 

Toho had 19-weeks recently.  October 12th, 2013 through February 23rd, 2014. The Girl in the Sun (2 weeks) > ,SPEC: Close Part 1 (1 week) > The Kiyosu Conference (2 weeks) > Princess Kaguya (1 week) > SPEC: Close Part 2 (1 week) > Lupin III vs Detective Conan (2 weeks) > The Eternal Zero (8 weeks) > The Mole Song (2 weeks).

Toho also had 19-weeks in 2001 with Spirited Away (16 weeks) and Between Calm and Passion (3 weeks). 

Depending on how big Marnie and/or Godzilla (Toho is distributing it) are, they could have a 8 week-streak beginning this upcoming weekend, too.  Marnie/Pokemon (1/1 week) > Marnie/Godzilla (2/1 week) > Marnie/Godzilla (3/2 weeks) > Doraemon (3 weeks) > Lupin III (2 weeks).

Marnie and/or Godzilla will have to breakout in big fashion to beat Rurouni Kenshin's (Warner Bros.) opening on August 1st, though.  And I'm not too worried about Transformers beating Doraemon on August 8th.  That match-up is Doraemon's to lose, in my opinion. 

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

Pokemon doesn't affect anything, and vice-versa, because it sells half of its admissions in advance ticket sales. This years film likely already has a good 1.5-2 million tickets sold (something like $15-20 million in sales).  Pokemon advance ticket sales blow everything else out of the water (they're even in the Guinness Book of World Records).  Movie 11 I believe sold some 2.7 or so million ticket in advance, more than any animated film in the world prior to release.

Doesn't hurt that they provide incentive: Each pre-order ticket comes with the ability (via infrared or serial code) to download an exclusive Pokemon to their 3DS game, usually with special "event" moves or traits, that can't be obtained by any other means. In 2012, it was a Keldeo holding a PP Max. In 2013, it was a Mewtwo holding a Custap Berry and knowing the moves "Hurricane" and "Heal Pulse." This year, it's a Darkrai holding an Enigma Berry and knowing the move "Phantom Force." These event distribution Pokemon are so coveted by players -- even international players -- that I have to rely on a friend in Japan to get them for me and trade them to me online for a fair exchange, lest I be ripped off by scalpers in some online trading forum.

And that's just the presale incentive. There's an additional exclusive event Pokemon download for anyone attending the movie, presale or otherwise. 2012, Meloetta. 2013, Genesect. This year, it's the newly revealed Diancie.

For the record, the pre-order and attendance incentives for the aforementioned M11 were Regigigas and Shaymin, respectively. It would be the only way to obtain a Japanese Shaymin for nearly two years.

Edited by Ray
  • Like 1

Yep, the Japanese get all the cool Pokemon deals. :P  And their Pokemon card system is much cooler than ours, too.  It sucks opening a pack and getting a plain old rare Furrett or Beedrill all the time.  In Japan, the boosters consist of just 5 cards with a chance at a holofoil or super rare (EX, full art).  The non-holo rares we get are simply uncommon cards there.  

Pre-sales are reportedly outpacing those of last years film by a wide margin, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll open way higher than last year's film.  A lot also depends on those that turn up during the weekend itself, too.  It should have no issue opening above last year's film though considering it's a trend that's been constant since the beginning.  

I think it would have been cool to have released an exclusive mega stone with the Darkrai.  

Just out of interest, I wanted to know what the biggest film in each calendar year was. 1980-1999 based on rentals. For the following years, it's hard to tell if the one I've got was actually number one in the year (because of December release): 1983, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1994, 1999, 2005. Alternative listed second. If Howl's Moving Castle made it to ~22b, then I'm certain it was number one in 2005, otherwise it was likely Goblet.1980 The Empire Strikes Back1981 The Elephant Man1982 The Gods Must Be Crazy1983 E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial or Antarctica1984 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom1985 Ghostbusters or The Burmese Harp (ビルマの竪琴)1986 The Adventures of Milo and Otis1987 Top Gun or Hachiko1988 The Silk Road (敦煌)1989 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade1990 Heaven and Earth (天と地と) or Back to the Future Part 21991 Terminator 21992 Porco Rosso1993 Jurassic Park1994 True Lies or Cliffhanger1995 Die Hard with a Vengeance1996 Mission: Impossible1997 Princess Mononoke1998 Titanic1999 The Phantom Menace or Armageddon2000 Mission: Impossible 22001 Spirited Away2002 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone2003 Bayside Shakedown 22004 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban2005 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire or Howl's Moving Castle2006 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest2007 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End2008 Ponyo2009 Rookies2010 Avatar2011 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 22012 Umizaru Brave Hearts2013 The Wind Rises2014 Frozen

• Like 1

How did The Tale of Princess Kaguya do in Japan when it was released in Japan last November?

I'm curious because it appears they are prepping for a North American release (Oct. 17) as they have just announced the English language voice actors. It's a fairly interesting cast with Chloe Moretz voicing the title character.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/tale-of-the-princess-kaguya-chloe-grace-moretz-release-date/

How did The Tale of Princess Kaguya do in Japan when it was released in Japan last November?

I'm curious because it appears they are prepping for a North American release (Oct. 17) as they have just announced the English language voice actors. It's a fairly interesting cast with Chloe Moretz voicing the title character.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/tale-of-the-princess-kaguya-chloe-grace-moretz-release-date/

Looks like it did okay with 2.3b yen earned.