Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

10 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Man what has happened to hollywood in japan?

While browsing r/boxoffice on Reddit a few months ago, this exact same topic was being discussed. 

These are pretty good theories IMO. I know some people in that thread talk about No Way Home's underperformance, but the decline started years before that.  That's probably also why Hollywood is putting so much more stock and hope into China these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kyrixos said:

Is covid still having an impact?

Not really.... CoVid-19 Impacts aren't affecting work with strong WOM, we have "The Last 10 Years" with 10x plus multiple, with a marginal (¥6M) increase in 2nd Weekend.

FB1 was 5-days Opening Week

FB2 was 3-days Opening Week

Both of them opened on holiday (11/23). But, FB3 though might have an inferior opening comparing to former ones, but latter have Golden Week, so will not be surprising if it defeats NWH (¥4.19B) and takes lead to ¥4.5B plus ending.

Currently, it's ahead of FB1, behind FB2, in usual location track by Mimorin. 

Reception

FB1 vs FB2 vs FB3

3.8 - 3.8 - 4.0 : Filmark 

4.0 - 4.0 - 4.2 : Movie Walker 

3.8 - 3.5 - 3.6 : Yahoo Movie Japan 

3.7 - 3.4 - 3.7 : Eiga.com

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

20220409-133837.jpg

It looks like water is the protagonist again 😒. I hope it will be better than Weathering With You which I didn't like very much...

Edited by MG10

1 hour ago, MG10 said:

It looks like water is the protagonist again 😒. I hope it will be better than Weathering With You which I didn't like very much...

I'm not sure what it was about Weathering With You, its just missing something especially when compared to Your Name. Which is a shame as the animation is phenomenal. Fingers crossed this one is better. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm not sure what it was about Weathering With You, its just missing something especially when compared to Your Name. Which is a shame as the animation is phenomenal. Fingers crossed this one is better. 

The main characters beeing responsable for and beeing okay with literall mass death and destruction was also a no-no for me.

• Disbelief 1

From Corpse on World of KJ: "10AM > 11AM > 12PM > 1PM > 2PM > 3PM > 4PM > 5PM > 7PM > 9PM > FINAL.

x27,613 > x39,274 > x61,265 > x72,524 > x84,634 > 118,828 > 131,703 > 144,186 > 168,094 - Fantastic Beasts 3

The 9PM update is going to be very big. Its sales from 7-9pm have been very impressive."

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MadGoose said:

From Corpse on World of KJ: "10AM > 11AM > 12PM > 1PM > 2PM > 3PM > 4PM > 5PM > 7PM > 9PM > FINAL.

x27,613 > x39,274 > x61,265 > x72,524 > x84,634 > 118,828 > 131,703 > 144,186 > 168,094 - Fantastic Beasts 3

The 9PM update is going to be very big. Its sales from 7-9pm have been very impressive."

Fantastic numbers...especially with Golden Week coming up.

26 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

Oh it’s great ! And no vacation Day for FB3.

@SchumacherFTW where are you now?

Pretty good weekend I think, Sunday might hold better than FB2 as well since that likely burned off more demand with friday OD.

Though some of the takes here are a bit exhaggerated imo, first of all comparing audience reviews this early is pointless unless you do it off the same timeframe, early impressions are always the most positive - case in point take the Eiga comparison, it's 3.7 - 3.4 - 3.7 now but if you look up where the first fantastic beasts stood right after release (on the 25th of november 2016 in this case) it had a 4.1: https://web.archive.org/web/20161125132635/https://eiga.com/movie/82276/

And while GW is nice it's also true that it's basically going to get all its premium shows nuked by conan next weekend already, there's both pros and cons here imo, but it's off to a good start.