Impact

Best Cinematography 2012

Life of Pi, The Master and Les Mis are the locks/near-locks here... I don't know what should happen in order for one of them to miss. After that there is a ton of hopefuls/possibilities with roughly the same chances - Lincoln, Skyfall, Cloud Atlas, TDKR, Django Unchained, The Hobbit, Beasts and Anna Karenina... that's it, I think. TDKR, Django and Lincoln seem like the safer picks because the Academy has loved Pfister, Richardson and Kaminski since forever, but my hope is that Skyfall and Cloud Atlas get in.

Many movies fall short in this category because of the Academy's snobbish nature. Many films, action movies, sci-fi movies, and/or comedies have some great cinematography. Instead the award and nominations go to the slow moving, quiet in nature, indie, boring movies. And if they're based on a popular book franchise, even better.

Which movie has the most landscapes? That movie will win this award, not the movie with the best cinematography.