hasanahmad

Thursday Box Office 5/17/2012 Avengers 6.2 (402M) Dictator 2.8 (7M) DS 1.7 (38M)

It will eventually. The licensing deal states that Sony has to keep making Spider-Man movies by a certain number of years, or else the rights revert back to Marvel. I believe it's 5 years for Spiderman and Ghostrider (the deals with Fox are different). No one knows except Sony and Marvel/Disney, but Ghostrider 2 was rushed for that reason.Disney isn't agreeing to have these characters co-exist in their universe. There is no reason for them to do that. Why should they do that when they can keep all the profits when the characters revert? When the properites fail, then they get them back completely, can integrate the characters into their universe, and keep all the profits. Disney is in this for the long run, so they will never agree to co-exist with the other studios. They will just paitnetly wait for the other studios to have a few bombs on their hands, then reboot the character.In my opinion, boycotting those movies is the smartest thing if you want Marvel to have the movie rights to all of their characters. That may not be your goal. You might not care that there are marvel characters that can't exist in the MCU. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wish more people felt the way I do. Because that's the only way Spiderman will ever be in the Avengers.

FOX would be buying the rights from Sony for any amount of money they'd want to recover from the bomb. We won't be seeing Spidey in the same Marvel Universe if the studios don't get to make an agreement. You're being naive about boycotying this, but I won't stop you. I'll be there at the pre-screening come July 3rd, and hopefully, I'll watch the best Spider-Man movie ever. :)

If this has a feel of its own, and it is not a complete shot for shot remake of the original, then i will see the next one. But I am so opposed to this one that I can't bring myself to see it until DVD.

I knew there should be a reason for you to predict TASM to underperform that bad. I just knew it. :lol: We'll convince you, baumer. When the time comes, you'll turn to the dark side. We will have cookies, sassy and clever Gwen and the best Spider-Man story in cinema waiting for you on the other side. B)

The Spider-Man fanboys "boycotting" this film won't be able to help themselves but watch it in some other way. Either via illegal torrent or DVD/Cable. Which means, if the film is good, they will end up being the first in line for the second film. No matter what, Sony will end up winning.

I can only speaking for me personally. I am not a Spiderman fanboy. I don't really like the Spiderman movies that Sony makes. I might catch it on cable though, but it isn't a priority.Eventually the Spiderman movies won't make as much money and the rights will revert. Hopefully that will happen in my lifetime. I would like to see Marvel's take on the character.I know most people don't feel like me, which is why we will never see Spiderman in the Avengers in the foreseeable future. But atleast I am doing my part.

If this has a feel of its own, and it is not a complete shot for shot remake of the original, then i will see the next one. But I am so opposed to this one that I can't bring myself to see it until DVD.

I can already guarantee that it's not. Here's a spoiler if you wanna read it since it sounds like you don't want to see it.

I'm not one to want to be spoiled, but from what I've accidentally read, I'm nearly 100% Uncle Ben doesn't die in this film(or at least, not until the end anyway). They may be saving that for either the second or even the third film. Which means, Spider-Man will NOT have learned his lesson(With great power...) in this one. He will be way more selfish, egotistical and arrogant after he gets his powers(Which is why he's making fun of the car thief). Plus this film centers around the mystery of what happened to his parents. Trust me, it will be different and darker.

Sorry, but it boggles my mind why people are declaring Battleship as a failure because of its midnights. I don't see anything wrong with its midnights. It has no built-in fabase whatsoever, and wasn't shown in many theaters, anyway.I do think Battleship will underwhelm (31m), but midnights have nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

Hancock's the perfect example of how Smith is invincible. Hancock started bad and then got stupid bad and then horrible bad. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who liked it. It opened huge, naturally, but it still had legs and kept afloat for the rest of the summer. People will follow this guy to the end of the earth.

Hancock's the perfect example of how Smith is invincible. Hancock started bad and then got stupid bad and then horrible bad. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who liked it. It opened huge, naturally, but it still had legs and kept afloat for the rest of the summer. People will follow this guy to the end of the earth.

I loved it. There were a lot of people who did.

I can already guarantee that it's not. Here's a spoiler if you wanna read it since it sounds like you don't want to see it.

I'm not one to want to be spoiled, but from what I've accidentally read, I'm nearly 100% Uncle Ben doesn't die in this film(or at least, not until the end anyway). They may be saving that for either the second or even the third film. Which means, Spider-Man will NOT have learned his lesson(With great power...) in this one. He will be way more selfish, egotistical and arrogant after he gets his powers(Which is why he's making fun of the car thief). Plus this film centers around the mystery of what happened to his parents. Trust me, it will be different and darker.

I don't mean to spoil you, but...

Uncle Ben does die. I've seen pictures of the scene where he dies, so while I agree with you about this being a different take, we'll be seeing the death of Uncle Ben playing a major factor in his actions, just like any amazing Spidey story should. They don't need to take away Ben's death to make this movie their own, and they are aware of that. The death of Uncle Ben is pivotal for Peter's character, it is the origin of Spider-Man, and I'm not bothered about seeing a different take on it. As long as they keep showing the passion they've been showing for the original material and that translates to the big screen, I'm in for the ride.

I just think that Raimi'smovies failed at pivotal points of the character that, from the trailers, Webb nailed. For the first time I'm seeing Spider-Man act as Spider-Man, and I'm not talking only about the exchange with the thief. That scene where Peter shows his face so the kid won't be scared, that's classical Spider right there. It's a kid, it's not like he'll be able to identify him. I have an insane amount of hope that this movie will kick our collective asses and I trust Webb and Garfield way more than I've ever trust Raimi and Maguire.

Edited by iJackSparrow

I don't think success defies logic at all. You might think his films are shit, but there are obviously a ton of people who feel differently. Your opinion of something, or mine as a stand alone opinion, does not make or break a movie. I thought The Hunger Games was one of the laziest films I've seen in quite sometime, but I'm one opinion. There are millions who feel different. Burton obviously has his fans and his success is not a big mystery.

Yes, sometimes succes does defy logic. If a movie is trashed by critics then odds are it is probably a bad movie. If it turns into a box office success that is illogical. There's a saying about this... something about taste :PI don't universally dislike everything Burton does (in contrast to Michael Bay and Sonnenfeld... they have yet to make one decent movie between them). Batman, Sweeny Todd, Big Fish and Edward Scissorhands for example are all movies I consider to be good to very good.

Yes, sometimes succes does defy logic. If a movie is trashed by critics then odds are it is probably a bad movie. If it turns into a box office success that is illogical. There's a saying about this... something about taste :P

Completely disagree with you. Critics have never been the measuring stick to whether or not a film is good or not. They get paid to watch movies, we pay to see them. I'd rather take a person's opinion over a critics.

Critics watch too many movies and over analyze them. Most are simply jaded and are looking for faults. Having said that, if a movie is 85%+ on RT its probably good with little debate, if its less than 30% its almost certainly bad. The problem is when they are ~60-70%.

• Like 1

I don't mean to spoil you, but...

Uncle Ben does die. I've seen pictures of the scene where he dies, so while I agree with you about this being a different take, we'll be seeing the death of Uncle Ben playing a major factor in his actions, just like any amazing Spidey story should. They don't need to take away Ben's death to make this movie their own, and they are aware of that. The death of Uncle Ben is pivotal for Peter's character, it is the origin of Spider-Man, and I'm not bothered about seeing a different take on it. As long as they keep showing the passion they've been showing for the original material and that translates to the big screen, I'm in for the ride.

I just think that Raimi'smovies failed at pivotal points of the character that, from the trailers, Webb nailed. For the first time I'm seeing Spider-Man act as Spider-Man, and I'm not talking only about the exchange with the thief. That scene where Peter shows his face so the kid won't be scared, that's classical Spider right there. It's a kid, it's not like he'll be able to identify him. I have an insane amount of hope that this movie will kick our collective asses and I trust Webb and Garfield way more than I've ever trust Raimi and Maguire.

I fully agree, The Raimi films are imperfect. As these will be(The costume is already a failure in my eyes). But, I think TASM will get a lot of the things Raimi missed about the character, while forgetting(some on purpose) some of the more classic elements Raimi nailed. I've come to the realization that I may never see the perfect Spider-Man film(But SM2 came damn close).

But, this is not the first time this has happened with a character. Batman 66 ---Batman 89 ----Batman Mask of the Phantasm----Batman Begins(And it still wasn't a perfect adaption). If you think of it this way, Spidey is actually pretty early in this cycle. Maybe the next reboot will combine Raimi/Webb along with elements they both missed.

FOX would be buying the rights from Sony for any amount of money they'd want to recover from the bomb. We won't be seeing Spidey in the same Marvel Universe if the studios don't get to make an agreement. You're being naive about boycotying this, but I won't stop you. I'll be there at the pre-screening come July 3rd, and hopefully, I'll watch the best Spider-Man movie ever. :)

I don't think Fox would want to make a money losing transaction like that. Fox would be buying a franchise that already failed, then they'd have to spend a lot of money to make a new movie. It's not financially worth it. You have to understand that these movie studios have the film rights for a very reasonable fee. Fox buying film rights from Sony is a financial loser for Fox because now they're stuck paying for the film rights and the movie. And the characters that Sony has the films rights to (Spiderman, Ghostrider) have a shorter time period for when a new movie must be in production than the characters that Fox has the license to.As for the team up, Disney will never agree to share the profits for their own character. They will never work with another studio when they hold all the cards. If they are just patient, they will get the movie rights back. Disney isn't going anywhere, so it doesn't matter if it takes 30 years to them. Disney still owns the character Spiderman, the comic books, and can make animated series with the character. Sony only has a license for the movie rights.I am not being naive about boycotting this. Number 1, I don't see remakes or reboots because why would I waste money on someone else's rendition when I can just watch the original. I have already seen Spiderman on the big screen. Number 2, I don't believe my not seeing this film alone will have an impact, but I can only do my part. Lastly, the only way the movie rights will revert is if Sony can no longer make money from Spiderman films, so it is very logical.The only way I would be naive is if I thought Disney was going to agree to work with other studios or if I thought I'd eventually see Spiderman in the Avengers. I don't believe either of those. Edited by The Iron Horse