hasanahmad

Tuesday box office estimates 5/23/2012 Avengers 4.8 BS 2.2 Dictator 2.1

a bump to $50m is a drop of 10% from the 3 day last weekend, it is no doubt dropping much closer to IM's 20% I would bet a lot on thatthe trajectory looks so similar to previous summer openers, the difference between $46-$50m is huge in terms of % decrease at this point

I'm not expecting 50m. I have it at around 47m for the 4 day.

The Avengers has 3D, 5 movies to build up demand, two major studios backing it up, one of the biggest budgets of all time (both production and marketing), a very high profile cast, a well known and liked director who's build up a rabid fanbase due to the TV shows he's made, a better release date, and was basically expected by everyone to be in the top 2 or 3 of the year.The Hunger Games had none of that, yet it opened with the 3rd highest opening weekend ever and is on track to 400m.

Hear, hear! Bravo!

The fact that TA got over 200m in its OW wasn't as impressive as the way it got it. People were starting to think a 100m OD was going to come before a 200m OW the way films have gotten so frontloaded with midnight openings. It was really cool to see a film start out with a still huge 80m, more than 11m from the OD record, and destroy the OW record by 38m. TA's Saturday and Sunday performances are the highlight of its run.

. You are so right. After the $80m opening, I wasnt sure it would pass TDK let alone DH2. TA has had a more entertaining run so far this year when one considers the OW, 2nd weekend, fastest to Fill in the Blank, etc.

LG would be fools not to give it a $400 mio push. Dollar theaters, Katniss B-day theater expension, groupon, Puerto Rico, choclate fudge, whatever it takes.

Just make up some shit. Call it "The Day to Make More Money For THG" day, and the loonies will show up.

The Avengers has 3D, 5 movies to build up demand, two major studios backing it up, one of the biggest budgets of all time (both production and marketing), a very high profile cast, a well known and liked director who's build up a rabid fanbase due to the TV shows he's made, a better release date, and was basically expected by everyone to be in the top 2 or 3 of the year.The Hunger Games had none of that, yet it opened with the 3rd highest opening weekend ever and is on track to 400m.

Not that I'm arguing here since you're very much correct in most respects. But you make it sound like The Hunger Games had nothing going for it and suddenly became this huge hit out of of the blue.It has a very, very rabid book fanbase and has always been touted as the next Harry Potter phenomenon. So it's not exactly like it was working with nothing.
  • Like 1

Off of the 3rd weekend, it looks like TA is tracking like Thor. So if it continues that would mean a 36M/46M 3/4-day weekend.

Zoomed in:

Posted Image

Zoomed out:

Posted Image

All May openers track more or less the same leading up to and over Memorial Day weekend (everything before the yellow vertical line). It's actually the dropoff after Memorial Day weekend and the following Friday increase that will be key.

“@Cashfleu: So for the umpteenth time when i was at the cinemas Avengers was once again sold out”Reading sold out tweets about TA is always entertaining.

I like when the first tweet is "on my way to see The Avengers"