What Directors Have a Perfect Track Record?

Like you said it's a personal opinion thread right? Although I'm trying to be objective. For example, I kinda hated Memento, but I'm not blind to the fact that it was well-received by the mass.

Of course. I wanted this to lean personal so there could be more discussion about the merits of certain "questionable" films in a director's filmography. Going purely on objective factors such as critical reception and box office makes for bland conversation.For example, Leone's final 3 films were all met with a mix of iffy reception or poor box office when they were released (in part because of some studio interference and in the case of his final film butchering the content of the theatrical release), but now they're all considered classics by many critics and cineophiles.Objectively, Cameron probably can be considered to have a perfect track record, depending on how one weighs The Abyss. But since I can't get behind Titanic, I can't personally say he does. Edited by 4815162342

The are a few that are close to perfect for me.If we don't count Piranha then Cameron is one.Fincher has The Game along with Alien 3 so he's not in. I just hate the ending of that film.Nolan is another one. I really like Following but i'm not a huge fan of The Prestige but it's still good.Never seen a bad Scorsese film.Never seen a bad Kubrick film either.Haneke has Time of the Wolf that i didn't care for.Von Trier has a couple that i don't like and i'm no fan of his recent trilogy.The Coen brothers are definitely in. Although Intolerable Cruelty is just decent.Tarantino had Death Proof and kinda ruined the perfect track for me.I like all of the Jean Pierre Jeunet films i' ve seen. Yes even Alien Resurrection.Paul Thomas Anderson has only Hard Eight to break the track record but it's still decent.Michael Mann has Miami Vice and The Keep that i don't like.I like all of Sam Mendes films so far but i haven't see Away We Go.Strangely enough i like almost all of the Woody Allen films to an extent with only a couple of exceptions (Scoop, Small Time Crooks).Wes Anderson had The Life Aquatic to break his streak.And Jarmusch had Limits of Control that i didn't like.I like all the Paul Greengrass films i' ve seen.And Alexander Payne has a perfect record so far but with only 5 movies.

Ron Clements and John MuskerHayao MiyazakiAs for Cameron, True Lies is the movie that prevents me from saying he has a perfect record. I really don't like that movie.

I still need to see Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, but otherwise I agree about Miyazaki. A couple films (Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service) fall towards average but definitely a wonderful track record.

If this is a completely personal opinion thread, then for me Michael Bay has never had a misstep.Bad BoysThe RockArmageddonPearl HarborBBIIThe IslandTransformers 1,2,3All fantastic films, with the exception BBII, but still not a true misstep for me.

Since I enjoy 5 out of 9 films I both agree and disagree with you.

So no love for Brad Bird?How does Michael Bay get mentioned before Brad Bird? :mellow:

He needs more films under his belt. 4 is too small a sample size to really give someone credit for not making a mediocre or poor outing. Edited by 4815162342

I'd probably have to go with James Cameron.The Terminator(All time classic)Aliens(Another all time classic)The AbyssTerminator 2(arguably his best)True LiesTitanic(I'm the king of the world!)Avatar(cha-ching!)Doesn't really get any better than that.

• Like 3

Are we talking about critical success or BO success?

BO success has no role in this consideration, because crap films make money all the time.This is about a mix of personal and objective evaluations of a director's filmography.

There was no studio interference there. That was Lasseter's baby and he has to own it.

I always thought Disney wanted to make Cars II so they could sell more toys. Didnt really know Lasseter's own thoughts on that.