Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I want to believe that this could break September box office records. I'm not expecting it to top Hotel Transylvania's OW ($48.46 million), but I want to believe that it could theoretically top Insidious Chapter 2 ($40.27 million). Assuming that it tops the latter film, that would give it the highest grossing OW for a horror film in the month of September.

I'm just not sure if a Stephen King adaptation--even one with enormous nostalgia potential like It--would have that kind of pull. September is a shitty month for box office potential, and $40 million+ opening weekends are atypical.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 3

IT imho is the best book ever written. I realize this is all subjective but I know when it comes to Stephen King there are probably two novels that are considered the Holy Grail. The Stand is obviously the first one and then this one I believe is the second. There are definitely other is that people will sprink in there like Cujo and The Shining and the dead zone and so on but these two are his seminal pieces of work I believe. If they nail the feel of the novel with this first movie I think the second one can be even bigger.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NoobSaibot said:

I want to believe that this could break September box office records. I'm not expecting it to top Hotel Transylvania's OW ($48.46 million), but I want to believe that it could theoretically top Insidious Chapter 2 ($40.27 million). Assuming that it tops the latter film, that would give it the highest grossing OW for a horror film in the month of September.

I'm just not sure if a Stephen King adaptation--even one with enormous nostalgia potential like It--would have that kind of pull. September is a shitty month for box office potential, and $40 million+ opening weekends are atypical.

$40m seems doable but I imagine WB/New Line would be thrilled with a $30-35m OW which would be a solid OW for September. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$40m seems doable but I imagine WB/New Line would be thrilled with a $30-35m OW which would be a solid OW for September. 

Yeah, I'm not worried about its box office. I'm just curious to see what its OW total would be.

I'm also expecting an opening in the range that you suggested.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

If the reviews are great and if it satisfies the fans of the books, I could see it pulling a Conjuring style run. The trailer is already trending on Twitter, and the reactions seem to be glowing. 

Apart from Ninjago and Kingsman 2, there isn't much competition. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 75live said:

yeah watched it again.  I love the slide projector scene :)  

I take it that replaces the book scene in the room. 

Just now, baumer said:

I take it that replaces the book scene in the room. 

yeah I would think so, it's more visual and probably quicker to do it that way too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Yeah, I'm not worried about its box office. I'm just curious to see what its OW total would be.

I'm also expecting an opening in the range that you suggested.

Warner Bros are the kings of marketing, you can bet they'll be another trailer at Comic Con or with Annabelle 2 and a real push ad wise throughout August. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I watched the trailer. Laughed at every scare the trailer tried to spring at me. So obvious.

Kids these days.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Warner Bros are the kings of marketing, you can bet they'll be another trailer at Comic Con or with Annabelle 2 and a real push ad wise throughout August. 

This is a WB film? That's good, they'll build the hype necessary for this type of film. Plus, they have horror experience w/The Conjuring.

• Like 2