chasmmi

How did Alice make $1B?

Now I am not actually talking about the quality of the movie (even though it is atrocious) just more the fact that even if it was a great film, it would still stand out as being the odd one out in the $1B list to me.When you look at the others (ignoring quality of film):The 2 Cameron films were events that changed what people expected to see on a cinema screen. SO their totals are understood.The Avengers is an event, 5 films got made in order to make this one. It is a huge huge multi year project that has come into fruition. One could argue that it essentially had a budget of $1B Harry and LOTR were massive franchises based on super humanly popular books, so understandable.Star Wars - Doesn't even need explaining.POTC and Transformers are huge franchises, and even if the films weren't great by the end, they were well known and the general cinema audiences knew what they were getting. Pirate fights and giant robots are always going to get noticed.Toy Story 3, the final chapter of the film that created modern animation. A film for everybody and Pixar's most well known title.That just leaves the Dark Knight, which is still a sequel, it is batman and a major actor died before release (this wouldn't be worth a billion but was probably the factor that turned this from a 900M movie to a $1B.AIW however has none of the above.There are no robots or explosions.There was nothing groundbreaking in its creation.The book is well known but I would say Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Narnia is more so.It's not a sequel from a famous or well loved movie.Alice is not a superhero loved worldwide.It can't be the actor/director link up as otherwise why did CATCF only make 475M?It can't be off the back of POTC otherwise how did Dark Shadows make so little?I don't get it. I can understand bad films getting big grosses even if I do not like it, but even if this film had won the Palme D'or, seven Oscars and the Smash Hits Poll Winers Party award for best hair, I still don't see how this movie made so much.Can anybody enlighten me?

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 1

What lab said. It was coming off the goodwill of Avatar and people wanted 3D. This was the first 3D experience not named Avatar. If it was 2D, I think it would have not only grossed less but sold much fewer tickets because not as many people would have been interested in it. 3D was a major draw for this film, and really inflated its gross.

I'm more perplexed by the Avengers' success to be honest. Yes, it had 5 movies, but none of them made over 300M internationally and none of them were memorable. From this to go to almost 900M OS is just mindboggling.Alice at least had Tim Burton, who is a real director, and Johnny Depp doing what he does best.

• Like 1

Star Wars - Doesn't even need explaining.

What SW movie do you mean? TPM made 1B after 13 years of the original release. It didn't do it on first run, that would mean no explaining needed, but an explanation is needed here.

I wonder who first came up with idea to release AiW in 3D. It seems the decision was made before Avatar became a success.

Not sure about AIW but COTT was supposed to be in 2D, and after Avatar's sucess WB decided to converted it into 3D, and they did it in like 2 weeks LOL

I wonder who first came up with idea to release AiW in 3D. It seems the decision was made before Avatar became a success.

Studios were getting into the 3D craze long before Avatar came out. Lots of animated movies were doing it and a couple horror films as well. Probably made sense for a Tim Burton fantasy spectacle loaded with CGI imagery, and it worked out really well for them. Edited by tribefan695