Olive

Official France Box Office Thread

35 minutes ago, Olive said:

Lukewarm start for Jungle book, only 950K forecast admissions in 7 days.

how frontloaded usually is the french market? would this be translated into at least 3~4M total?

Edited by yjs

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, I'm just guessing that it can reach 3 million admissions in France. That's pretty good. Not a phenomenon, but pretty good.

yeah I was just wondering why/how it was lukewarm, or maybe TJB does have some out of the world expectation to keep up with.

so I did some research and yeah that falls into a mediocre/lukewarm category when it comes to hollywood big budget productions like this one.

anywhoo.. this would still do better than the previous Disney live action remakes. Cinderella opened to the 600k range and finished with about I guess 1.7M total which is $11.2M. 

Maleficent was similar with 600K+ OW and finished with 1.9M total but maybe Euro was stronger then? it was about $17.2M. 

Inside Out opened to less than 800K but had great legs so managed to finished with $30M, 4.2M total.

The most recent 900K opener I think was Mad Max, of which total is 2.3M/$18M.

so I guess TJB's realistic/slightly positive goal would be 3~3.5M/$20~25M

• Like 3

Should finish around 3M admissions. Most Disney live actions aren't very popular in France. The only exeption I can think of is Alice in Wonderland but Tim Burton being the director probably helped.

Frankly, although it's not representative, I don't know anyone who's planning to go, and yet most people love the original 'Jungle Book'. It's just that remake + live-action + 3D isn't necessarily a good combination.

Edited by Cynosure

The prediction for the first week of TJB improved a lot, no?
Cine-directors.net (via Twitter) predicts now 1.4M admissions. And the 277.612 admissions mean yesterday/Wednesday I think.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Agafin said:

It's always a good thing when predictions improve with time. Might mean that good WOM is spreading.

Indeed. It will be VERY big, no matter what the opening is. As long as 1m admissions at the low end happens, its in good shape.

1 hour ago, el sid said:

The prediction for the first week of TJB improved a lot, no?
Cine-directors.net (via Twitter) predicts now 1.4M admissions. And the 277.612 admissions mean yesterday/Wednesday I think.

75,000 from previews.

And remember that some regions are in Holidays.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

75,000 from previews.

And remember that some regions are in Holidays.

So that's why it said „avp included“. And of course I didn't know that there are partly holidays in France.
But usually this guy from cine-directors.net is a very good predictor and so I have full confidence in his TJB prediction ;). Especially since Germany is such a let down once again...

WOM seems to be very good according to allocine.fr but I have no other sources.

We're in exactly the same situation holiday wise, like when Zootopia opened.

So I made a calculation, excluding previews, and with an equal IM, Jungle book is looking at 1,05m admissions for the weekend and around 1,3m admissions for the week.

Let's see, it went on for a big OD, after disappointing early numbers. 

2 hours ago, Aristis said:

3rd best OD of the year in France for TJB (277.612) after ZOOMANIA (350.512) & DEADPOOL (285.711).

Lol, why the fuck did they call it Zoomania in Germany?

That is just fucking stupid. Then again, most movie titles translated into German are fucking stupid.