Taylor

Weekend Estimates: #1-TED 54.1m; #2-MM 39.16m; #3-BRAVE 34m; #4-MADEA 26.35m; #5- MAD3 11.82m

http://www.deadline....e-2m-midnights/

FRIDAY 4:30 PM, 4TH UPDATE : My sources now say that, based on pre-sales and matinee trends and early East Coast evenings, Universal’s Ted is wildly overperforming and looking at a whopping $20M opening today and a $50+M first weekend. This means Ted is outgrossing the original Hangover and could become the biggest original R-rated comedy on record! Also overperforming is Warner Bros’ Magic Mike which is looking at a great $15M opening today and $35M weekend. The domestic box office is exploding with early Fourth Of July fireworks. Domestic matinees for Magic Mike were “crazy”, rival studios told me. This is really reminding me and Hollywood of opening day for the first Sex And The City. (I loved Warner Bros’ marketing line to women for Channing Tatum et al that “on June 29th tell your boyfriend you’re going to the book club”). Going into this weekend, Hollywood thought Ted and Pixar/Disney’s holdover Brave would be fighting for #1 and between $30M-$35M this weekend, with Magic Mike and Lionsgate’s Tyler Perry film Madea’s Witness Protection battling for 3rd and low- to mid-$20sM. Wow, is that changing hour by hour!

Edited by TLK

^^^^ I know but no harm in putting their estimates here.http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056143.html?cmpid=RSS|News|LatestNews&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitterUniversal's "Ted" is cuddling up to the high $40 million to low $50 million range, giving the Mark Wahlberg laffer a good shot at becoming the highest-opening original (non-sequel) R-rated comedy in domestic box office history.Early box office returns indicate that Seth MacFarlane's first feature film will likely earn in the high teens Friday, with a good shot at hitting $20 million.Meanwhile Warner Bros.' "Magic Mike" is grinding its way toward the low-to-mid teens today, including more than $2 million in last night's midnight grosses. That puts it well on its way to crossing into the low $30 million dollar range.Industry insiders expect grosses to drop by around 30% tomorrow, although pre-sales have made estimates tricky.

Looks like the move to June 29th paid off big for Ted, Magic Mike did great considering it was shot on a low budget. I imagine Ted should good legs, wonder if Universal and MRC are considering a sequel? Given Seth Macfarlane's busy schedule, it might be tricky, he'll definetly get his next film greenlit that's for sure.If Fox greenlits the Family Guy movie, I wonder how big it would be? We saw how well The Simpsons did but I wonder if they would allow a film version of Family Guy to have more adult humour or keep it at the same as the TV series in order to make more money.

Variety says R record for TED: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

http://www.variety.c...News|LatestNews

Universal's "Ted" is cuddling up to the high $40 million to low $50 million range, giving the Mark Wahlberg laffer a good shot at becoming the highest-opening original (non-sequel) R-rated comedy in domestic box office history Edited by ECSTASY

If someone told me a year ago, in 2012, Channing Tatum would have three hit movies grossing 100+ m, be such a big star it pushed back GI Joe a year to include him, and had a stripper movie break out along with a pot-smoking teddy bear movie outgrossing Battleship and John Carter I would've slapped them silly.

• Like 3

I'm betting Magic Mike will keep climbing closer to 18 million or so but it looks like Ted is gonna win the weekend. Maybe we should have made a Ted OD > TASM OD

Edited by MrPink