Taylor

Weekend Estimates: #1-TED 54.1m; #2-MM 39.16m; #3-BRAVE 34m; #4-MADEA 26.35m; #5- MAD3 11.82m

We opened on 6/18/10 and this was our busiest weekend on record. 14,559 people in 3 days is INSANE! Not a holiday weekend, just a regular weekend that went ballistic all over our faces.

Yeah, our theater got hit pretty hard too. Friday in particular was really bad. Based off my theater and yours, I'd say that Ted will be in store for a very good Sunday hold so its 13% drop projection should hold up.

We opened on 6/18/10 and this was our busiest weekend on record. 14,559 people in 3 days is INSANE! Not a holiday weekend, just a regular weekend that went ballistic all over our faces.

Sex jokes... sex jokes everywhere...But yeah, those are some amazing numbers for Magic Mike, Ted and Brave.

Today should be a very good movie going day in Canada. We're going through a massive heat wave in Southern Ontario (Toronto and such) and our temps are close to 40 degrees with the humidex. That's like 110-115 in Fahrenheit.

Hey baumer... I've only seen one Tyler Perry movie, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, and I love it *, lol. Watch it every time it's on TV. Then again, Madea's not the main character in that one so it doesn't really count as a "Madea movie." She cracked me up in Diary though.* disclaimer - except for 99% of the lines they gave to Shemar Moore's character. Horrible, horrible cheese. Not to mention that gawdawful hair.

Edited by Cozmees Everdeen

Today should be a very good movie going day in Canada. We're going through a massive heat wave in Southern Ontario (Toronto and such) and our temps are close to 40 degrees with the humidex. That's like 110-115 in Fahrenheit.

There goes the permafrost...

So that`s why everyone and their mother is at the beach? I see the whole freakin city crammed up at Woodbine.

Yeah, a guilty pleasure is something you know it is bad but that you like. The Resident Evil franchise is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I personally stopped believing in the existence of a "guilty pleasure". Since "good" and "bad" are 100% subjective in art and determined by each individual as they experience that art...If I like it...it's good. I used to think of ABBA as a guilty pleasure but finally said, "Screw that...I think ABBA is good...nothing to be guilty about".

Now...if "guilty pleasure" means "Something that other people think is is bad" then that makes more sense to me.

Well I'm sure most straight guys wouldn't willingly admit they liked Magic Mike to their straight buddies, hence it becomes a "guilty pleasure" for him.

No, straight guys love magic mike because they get to see a bunch of hot girls in the theater waggin their tongues and rubbin their pooches. ;)

I personally stopped believing in the existence of a "guilty pleasure". Since "good" and "bad" are 100% subjective in art and determined by each individual as they experience that art...If I like it...it's good. I used to think of ABBA as a guilty pleasure but finally said, "Screw that...I think ABBA is good...nothing to be guilty about".

Now...if "guilty pleasure" means "Something that other people think is is bad" then that makes more sense to me.

I'm not sure this thread is the place to start a huge 'objective vs. subjective' / 'is appreciation of art entirely subjective' debate.

All I will say is that it depends entirely on your definition of 'good'. If you're talking purely about how much you enjoy something, or how much fun something is, then I accept your point.

But IMO there is more to how 'good' a work of art is than those two simple things. Works of art can have depth, they can make you think and question, they can have beautiful prose, wonderfully written characters, and amazingly realised worlds.

Let me give you the best example I can find from randomly looking at the books in my room. Hmm, let me see, what have we got here:

Richard A. Knaak, Day of the Dragon (No.1 in the Warcraft series)

Frank Herbert, Dune

These are good examples because I read them both for the first time at around the same age, and as far as I can remember I enjoyed reading them equally. However, I can tell you that Day of the Dragon left absolutely no trace of an impression on me, and I am struggling to recall a single plot detail (except, hey, it must have a dragon in it I presume). Whilst I have re-read Dune probably 2 or 3 times since then, and it is one of my favourite books of all time.

Plus, show me a single person in the universe who prefers Day of the Dragon to Dune and I will show you a madman. ;)

(Hmm I think I meant to make a 'brief' point here....oh well)

Edited by rahvinn87

Weekend Actuals:Ted $54,415,205Magic Mike $39,127,170 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $6,009,612Moonrise Kingdom $4,926,837Prometheus $4,921,254Men in Black 3 $2,978,821That's My Boy $2,240,411Seeking a Friend for the End of the World $1,069,393

Edited by pasaway098

As these weekend thread are always ripe for something random and OT, I shall recommend a film to everyone: BRASSED OFF. What a delightful gem. It's one of those lovable british dramedys like The Full Monty, Four Weddings and such. Seek it out and watch it.

• Like 1

As these weekend thread are always ripe for something random and OT, I shall recommend a film to everyone: BRASSED OFF. What a delightful gem. It's one of those lovable british dramedys like The Full Monty, Four Weddings and such. Seek it out and watch it.

I watched this a few months ago!'Lovable British dramedy' is the perfect description too. :D

Ted $54,415,205 (UP $315k on estimates)

Magic Mike $39,127,170 (DOWN $28k on estimates)

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $6,009,612 (UP $10k on estimates)

Moonrise Kingdom $4,926,837 (UP $54k on estimates)

Prometheus $4,921,254 (DOWN $4k on estimates)

Men in Black 3 $2,978,821 (UP $79k on estimates)

That's My Boy $2,240,411 (UP $90k on estimates)

^^^ Speaking of Snow White,The Lorax, Safe House and Ted, Universal is having a pretty good year with 4 100+ movies so far. Battleship is their only disappointment but Hasbro gets to share in the pain.

^^^ Speaking of Snow White,The Lorax, Safe House and Ted, Universal is having a pretty good year with 4 100+ movies so far. Battleship is their only disappointment but Hasbro gets to share in the pain.

Still no 100M OW for them yet.