Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

22 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Ooh, the Shay is so pumped right now!! Do it, Luc!! The Force is with you!! You can make or break it with this movie - and all will be forgiven!

Dammit. Why man why?! Please leave this movie alone. Your support = death for this movie commercially and possibly critically. Mad Max survived critically but let's face it, it was a commercial disappointment considering the excellent marketing and so much buzz. Casual audience didn't care too much about it.

22 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Ooh, the Shay is so pumped right now!! Do it, Luc!! The Force is with you!! You can make or break it with this movie - and all will be forgiven

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

I am really looking forward to this, moreso than other summer movies in 2017, but I am afraid that it won't get proper marketing and release. Really hoping one of the big studios strike a deal for distribution and marketing in North America, Latin America, some European and Asian markets. I guess the lack of a star in the movie is why no big North American studio is willing to distribute it. This movie needs to be successful if we want more inventive, visually unique and stunning sci-fi space epics not called star wars, star trek or related to a brand name, gotg (marvel). It's hard to make something not based on a well known IP/brand into an event. But really rooting for Luc Lesson and entire Valerian team.

Let s be honest here, few people had a clue what a Rocket Raccoon and a Groot were until July 2014...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Since "gigantic bomb" appears to be the default expectation here, I'm kinda hoping for a huge hit

As I am interested in this movie.... it might bomb (not alwayd#s, by waaaayyy too often) = I too hope for a hit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Let s be honest here, few people had a clue what a Rocket Raccoon and a Groot were until July 2014...

Clearly, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. It still was based on a BRAND called MARVEL. They have developed a trust with the audience so if the trailers+marketing is great, even a property never heard of can open to big numbers.

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Clearly, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. It still was based on a BRAND called MARVEL. They have developed a trust with the audience so if the trailers+marketing is great, even a property never heard of can open to big numbers.

Brand recognition can only get you that far.

Every movie lives and dies by its perceived quality or the excitement it creates.

The Good Dinausor says Hello.

50 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Make no mistake, this is a Huuuuuge development , I think almost all Besson s movies were scored by his dear friend Eric Serra.

Exactly. shocked he's not doing this. was really looking fwd to hearing what Serra would come up with

On July 22, 2016 at 2:35 PM, marveldcfox said:

Dammit. Why man why?! Please leave this movie alone. Your support = death for this movie commercially and possibly critically. Mad Max survived critically but let's face it, it was a commercial disappointment considering the excellent marketing and so much buzz. Casual audience didn't care too much about it.

2 points here:

1) I support Shay I want this to be good

2) Mad Max Fury Road did way better than many including myself expected.  It did on the back of being fucking AMAZING.  No it was not a mega mainstream Twitter blows it's load hit, but it still did well.  Ok fine, break even well.  But I can hardly call it a commercial disapointment.  Did it make great money?  No.  But disapointment involves expectation, and that movie fucking trounced that mother fucker.

Nope, no disapointment.  And yes I'm saying that with full knowledge this did not make tons of profit.  I don't care back off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Mad Max was a boxoffice dissapointment. No excuses should be made for that. It didn't even beat Kingsman worldwide eventhough the marketing, hype/buzz and reviews were much better than that movie. Oh and it was based on an existing property. 

Do you know What the disappointment word means? Mad max wasn't a disappointment, it almost doubled dom ajusted box office of third movie in franchise and I have almost sure it wasn't that big overseas.

Kingsman was a big surprise, but it had $74M from China, Mad max not even was released there.

Taking off China, Kingsman has $340M vs $378M of Mad Max. Again... Kingsman was a big surprise still.

Edited by alisson23
  • Like 1