Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

I read one source that said this got the go-ahead for a Chinese release, but no others....I finally saw a bit of this on the big screen and I really just can't wait, provided nothing happens to shake my enthusiasm.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I read one source that said this got the go-ahead for a Chinese release, but no others....I finally saw a bit of this on the big screen and I really just can't wait, provided nothing happens to shake my enthusiasm.

Where did you read the China bit?

• Like 1

Why some early predictions suggest the film will flop hard DOM?

The lead actors are not so famous but it does not significantly tone down the stunning visuals.

I will watch it on OW for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

The lead actors are not so famous but it does not significantly tone down the stunning visuals.

Because it looks to different and July has a lot competition. It should moved to the end of August.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

It's from an unproven studio, the source material is too obscure, neither star is a draw at all, and it's opening during a packed timeframe. If the combined presence of Tatum and Kunis couldn't power Jupiter Ascending past $50M there's no reason to expect this to fare much better.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's from an unproven studio

Who is launching a fantastic marketing campaign for the film already.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

the source material is too obscure

Kingsman: The Secret Service was too.  So was Guardians of the Galaxy.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

neither star is a draw at all

Very few actors/actresses are draws in this day and age.  And even then, it still has a supporting cast with Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, John Goodman, Clive Owen, and Rutger Hauer.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

and it's opening during a packed timeframe

A packed timeframe means nothing.  Cases in point: Inside Out/Jurassic World, Avatar/Sherlock/Alvin, TFA/Daddy's Home, Jason Bourne/Star Trek/Suicide Squad, etc.  All that matters is that the movie is good.  I can easily see it holding its own against Dunkirk.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, That One Guy said:

All STX is doing is distributing.  EuropaCorp funded the movie.

Oh in that case RIP EuropaCorp? They might be just big enough to barely survive though.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, franfar said:

This movie won't make enough to break even

GITS at least only cost $110 million. Valerian will probably have a similar box office performance DOM and WW.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

GITS at least only cost $110 million. Valerian will probably have a similar box office performance DOM and WW.

I don<T think we have much idea on how GITS did cost, the rumors were has high as 180m, to has low as 110, I think Scarlett herself said around 140m..., a bit like for The Mummy lot of spin made around that movie production cost.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/

Besson is a really big deal in many market and the visual look really good, it is far from certain that it will not do blockbuster business and turn a profit, it need to do around is previous movie Lucy, not impossible.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I don<T think we have much idea on how GITS did cost, the rumors were has high as 180m, to has low as 110, I think Scarlett herself said around 140m..., a bit like for The Mummy lot of spin made around that movie production cost.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/

Besson is a really big deal in many market and the visual look really good, it is far from certain that it will not do blockbuster business and turn a profit, it need to do around is previous movie Lucy, not impossible.

I don't think ScarJo would have an accurate sense of the budget except in very broad strokes. Same as with any star -- they're not gonna be privy to all the line-item stuff and why should they? It's not really their problem or responsibility. 

• Like 1