Moviedweeb

SAT/Wkd Numbers (EST TASM $23.8m(+15%)/$65m; Savages $5.6m(-2%)/$16.2m; KP 2.5m(-8%)/7.2m

Welp TASM is doing good but what's the point of a reboot if you're going to gross less than all the other films unadjusted and with 3D boost?? I'm sure Sony wasn't hoping for that when they announced project.

The point is TASM 2 has an upside where as Spidey 4 and 5 would of most likely kept going down and down. Also as great as Tobey did, I don't think anyone wanted to see a 40 year old Tobey still swinging around. They had to reboot it, it was either going to happen after Spidey 4 but they decided to do it now. I'm not saying I 100% agree but I understand the move and this weekend proved them right, fans still gave a whole new Spidey adventure a chance. Edited by filmscholar

JackO's response to ASM opening

"This opening isn't that good, it's way below what you fanboys were initially predicting and way below the other Spider-man's with 3D. But whatever floats your boat loonies :rotfl:"

It's actually pretty close to what most were saying. 135-140 for the 6 day. There were only a few loonies going over that. Most pegged it correctly.

Still nobody commenting about Madea's last success...

lol

Perry is money in the bank. He has his audience and they come out for his films. I'm happy to see it do well as I'm a big TP fan. He knows his audience and he caters to them.

Welp TASM is doing good but what's the point of a reboot if you're going to gross less than all the other films unadjusted and with 3D boost?? I'm sure Sony wasn't hoping for that when they announced project.

I'm going to turn to the dark side for a minute. I think this is exactly what Sony was hoping for. This has outgrossed or will outgross XMFC in 7 days and when all is said and done it will end up with north of 250 and 750-900 WW. It has the potential to be the highest grossing Spidey flick WW, so it is definitely a success, much to my chagrin, but it is.

And this is a film that seems to be pleasing the fanbase which means that the next one should do even better domestically. So I think Sony got the result it desired.

• Like 1

"less than all the other films"????

So what was the point of Batman Begins then?

I think reboots are now made to be a "zero-start-level" movie (not talking about quality but more calming down the tensions and gain audience's confidence) where the main goal is to prepare the "really huge, you will see how we will up the game and the action and the scale" real first level.
  • Like 2

It looks to be doing a bit better than I thought it would. Could beat my 250M prediction by 20M or so.Nothing earth shattering but considering it's a reboot it's doing fine.

I think reboots are now made to be a "zero-start-level" movie (not talking about quality but more calming down the tensions and gain audience's confidence) where the main goal is to prepare the "really huge, you will see how we will up the game and the action and the scale" real first level.

Co-sign, to add to this, a reboot is like a spring-board. You bring a dying/dead series from the grave and then the sequels reap the benifits. Begins reestablished Batman and the sequel exploded. That's the blueprint and model (Though I'd again say Lucas was the one who popularized Prequel/Rebooting a franchise with Episode I). Nolan should get the credit for doing it for superhero. TASM is on pace to sell more tickets than Begins, Returns, 1st Class, X-men Origins making it the #1 comic book reboot of all time. Edited by filmscholar

Taylor Kitsh "the worst box office performer in the history of movies"??? Seriously Nikki? What about the tons of actors whose entire ouvres have grossed less than 100 million dollars? What about all the actors that never had a film open in more than ten theatres? What a drama queen...

exactly. As a actor in Hollywood, Taylor Kitsch already succeeded.

I'm going to turn to the dark side for a minute. I think this is exactly what Sony was hoping for. This has outgrossed or will outgross XMFC in 7 days and when all is said and done it will end up with north of 250 and 750-900 WW. It has the potential to be the highest grossing Spidey flick WW, so it is definitely a success, much to my chagrin, but it is. And this is a film that seems to be pleasing the fanbase which means that the next one should do even better domestically. So I think Sony got the result it desired.

On a personal note, quite sad to see that Sony will likely get their desired result. All some of us can do is continue to hope for when Sony loses the rights to Spiderman. The film is still from the looks of it going to end up selling significantly less tickets than SM3 domestically (and grossing noticeably less than SM3 domestically despite 3D and inflation). Edited by ACCA
  • Like 1

1 The Amazing Spider-Man $65,000,000 -- 4,318 -- $15,053 $140,017,570 1 Sony / Columbia 2 Ted (2012) $32,592,560 -40% 3,256 17 $10,010 $120,239,905 2 Universal 3 Brave $20,162,000 -41% 3,891 -273 $5,182 $174,518,971 3 Disney 4 Savages $16,162,000 -- 2,628 -- $6,150 $16,162,000 1 Universal 5 Magic Mike $15,610,000 -60% 3,120 190 $5,003 $72,796,770 2 Warner Bros. 6 Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection $10,200,000 -60% 2,161 0 $4,720 $45,845,955 2 Lionsgate 7 Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $7,700,000 -35% 2,861 -854 $2,691 $196,019,929 5 Paramount / DreamWorks 8 Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D $7,150,000 -- 2,730 -- $2,619 $10,250,000 1 Paramount 9 People Like Us $2,256,000 -47% 2,055 0 $1,098 $9,252,367 2 Disney / DreamWorks 10 Marvel's The Avengers $2,170,000 -51% 1,125 -632 $1,929 $611,129,760 10 Disney 11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $1,900,000 -68% 1,657 -1452 $1,147 $34,006,376 3 Fox 12 Snow White and the Huntsman $1,866,240 -59% 1,152 -1185 $1,620 $149,854,450 6 Universal 13 Prometheus $1,825,000 -63% 1,105 -846 $1,652 $122,399,774 5 Fox

Edited by mmacader
  • Like 1

Sorry but that's IMHO an awful drop for Brave. Spidey already opened mid-week, clear weekend for a miniscule drop ahead of IA4/TDKR and it can't even go sub-40%.Maybe it's the constant overestimations by Nikki being downgraded by RTH as well that gives me this mood.Anyway, look at Mad 3, 35%, so no excuses. I'm unsure of its chances of beating Wall-E with what's up next and how it's handled the competition or lack of so far.

It has always amazed me that X:FC was considered a "blockbuster" by many when it really didn't perform spectacularly at the box office. It only took in $146 DOM/$353 WW, which is not an earth-shattering total.

I don't know that many consider it a blockbuster. Most were hoping it was enough to get a sequel. I just used XFC to put Spidey's reboot run into perspective.

Sorry but that's IMHO an awful drop for Brave. Spidey already opened mid-week, clear weekend for a miniscule drop ahead of IA4/TDKR and it can't even go sub-40%.Maybe it's the constant overestimations by Nikki being downgraded by RTH as well that gives me this mood.Anyway, look at Mad 3, 35%, so no excuses. I'm unsure of its chances of beating Wall-E with what's up next and how it's handled the competition or lack of so far.

I wouldn't call it "awful" it is 40% after all, but as I already mentioned Brave performance after OW has been very underwhelming to me. Edited by MovieMan89