Shawn Robbins

NIKKI-ISMS | Nikki signs first look deal with HBO | Nikki and Penske make up, she will return to reporting on the entertainment industry

Polone's a producer, not a blogger. :)

Still a douchebag. Excerpt from the article:

"This perception of her power appears to me to have emboldened her to step up her attacks on those who either compete with her or dare to favor one of her competitors. In a recent article, she referred to Daily Variety as getting “more tarnished and less respected.” In another tirade, she said that The Hollywood Reporter (which she’s been battling for a while now) is losing money and is “no longer trusted by the Hollywood community,” because they are “spinning bullshit as news.” A prominent journalist told me of an incident where Nikki, angered by an imagined transgression, called her at 5 a.m. and screamed at her. I spoke to a well-known studio head who told me that, after Nikki felt undermined by her, Finke called the studio head’s house at 9 p.m. and yelled at her, calling her a “----” and threatening to write negative stories about her. I have also heard of a situation where another trade paper got some exclusive promotional materials from a studio on an upcoming film and Nikki called that studio and told them that, because they didn’t favor her with this exclusive, she was going to “shit all over” the movie in question.

In 2009, she wrote probably the ugliest and most vindictive business article I’ve ever read, when former Universal Pictures chairman Marc Shmuger was fired. In this article, she said such things as, “I hate Shmuger, really detest the putz,” and “Shmuger’s biggest problem was that he thinks he plays well with others when, in fact, he treats people badly and is blind to the fact they hate his guts.” (Ignore the irony.) And how did Shmuger react to this insult-laden screed? In May 2011, he gave the exclusive press release on the formation of his new company to Deadline Hollywood."

:wub:

:rofl:

Seriously. How can you not love this woman????!

Edited by The aDIM Legacy

I have also heard of a situation where another trade paper got some exclusive promotional materials from a studio on an upcoming film and Nikki called that studio and told them that, because they didn’t favor her with this exclusive, she was going to “shit all over” the movie in question.

Bridesmaids?

Still a douchebag. Excerpt from the article:

"This perception of her power appears to me to have emboldened her to step up her attacks on those who either compete with her or dare to favor one of her competitors. In a recent article, she referred to Daily Variety as getting “more tarnished and less respected.” In another tirade, she said that The Hollywood Reporter (which she’s been battling for a while now) is losing money and is “no longer trusted by the Hollywood community,” because they are “spinning bullshit as news.” A prominent journalist told me of an incident where Nikki, angered by an imagined transgression, called her at 5 a.m. and screamed at her. I spoke to a well-known studio head who told me that, after Nikki felt undermined by her, Finke called the studio head’s house at 9 p.m. and yelled at her, calling her a “----” and threatening to write negative stories about her. I have also heard of a situation where another trade paper got some exclusive promotional materials from a studio on an upcoming film and Nikki called that studio and told them that, because they didn’t favor her with this exclusive, she was going to “shit all over” the movie in question.

In 2009, she wrote probably the ugliest and most vindictive business article I’ve ever read, when former Universal Pictures chairman Marc Shmuger was fired. In this article, she said such things as, “I hate Shmuger, really detest the putz,” and “Shmuger’s biggest problem was that he thinks he plays well with others when, in fact, he treats people badly and is blind to the fact they hate his guts.” (Ignore the irony.) And how did Shmuger react to this insult-laden screed? In May 2011, he gave the exclusive press release on the formation of his new company to Deadline Hollywood."

:wub:

:rofl:

Seriously. How can you not love this woman????!

Not really. -_-

Holy! David Poland goes off on Nikke and her overesitmated FIRST! box office

A “meh” second weekend of August.

But another great example of why the studio indulgence of Nikki Finke wanting to be first with box office is more dangerous than one idiot blogger having poor information being run as news.

The Bourne Legacy is a big movie for a company in transition. Ron Meyer is “leaving early” and whoever fills his office is going to be looking long and hard at the team that’s been in charge since Shmuger & Linde. So, the “FIRST BOX OFFICE” landed on Deadline at 12:48p PDT. That’s 3:48p East Coast and likely covered the box office until about 3p eastern. So a couple shows in the east, first of the day in the midwest and in mountain time… plus Midnights.

I think publishing those numbers is stupid… and if Nikki did that, she would probably not get the information handed to her. But extrapolating the 3-day weekend out of 1st and 2nd shows on Friday w/o the west coast is really, really dumb. You can tell “thumbs up” or “thumbs down, but anything more subtle than that is still conjecture at that time.

But under pressure, Universal started spinning… or some other studio, hoping to embarrass Universal when real numbers landed started spinning.

Finke wrote: “I haven’t heard Hollywood this encouraged about the domestic box office since The Avengers. Let’s face it: every studio this summer is making the vast majority of money off the international grosses. So to have North America back in business was helping mop up mogul flopsweat.”

First line of bullshit. Even with overstated numbers, there was nothing terribly exciting about this weekend’s numbers. Nikki was being played. Even at its highest projection, Bourne would be the 10th best opening of the summer of 24 major studio wide releases. Campaign was projected at around the same opening level as The Dictator and Madea. Hope Springs was looking at an opening on the level of That’s My Boy.

Worse, the ongoing mythology of the failing domestic box office is offensive. There is NO… I mean that literally… not a whit of evidence that Aurora had any effect on the this weekend or the two weekends before at the box office. Last Friday, there were some concerns, but the drops that were worrisome all turned around before the end of the weekend. And this moronic thing about comparing this year’s 30th weekend to last year’s 30th weekend… oy. You want to know “The Aurora Effect” last weekend? The Watch and Step Up: Lionsgate opened. The year before, Cowboys & Aliens, The Smurfs, ANDCrazy Stupid Love all opened. That’s $91m in openers vs $25m in openers.

Weekend 31? Rise of the Planet of the Apes vs Total Recall.

Yeah… must be Aurora.

The domestic box office summer is #2 all-time right now, running $50m behind last summer as of today. The domestic year is up 4.5% over last year, and is #2 all time to date, behind 2010 by $16m.

But still… one idiot publishing prematurely and making wild, inaccurate commentary.

The bigger problem came last night, when the other shoe dropped. How could Universal explain the number that Crazy Nikki had printed early on Friday being overstated by 10%? That’s what inspired today’s lie…

“strong matinees and early evening shows gave way last night to emptier late shows, unfortunately. “Daytime business was fabulous. But everything after 10 PM wasn’t,” a studio exec tells me. “Even exhibition is saying that fewer people are going to late night shows.” Theories abound, like Aurora or the Olympics. The result is that some of Friday’s earlier revved-up forecasts slowed. This may still be a rare ‘up’ total weekend of $150M.”

Uh, Bullshit.

What Nikki fails to mention at that point is that both The Campaign and Hope Springs were UP from her premature predictions on Friday afternoon. So people who like comedies are less afraid of Aurora or more likely to watch the Olympics? Maybe this is a new industry trend we should be obsessing on!

Or maybe, the earliest numbers were misleading – though I had a reader tweet in that the Bourne numbers looked high to him based on Thursday midnight shows – and now, Nikki Whisperers were covering their asses by using excuses that Nikki doesn’t know enough to analyze seriously. Maybe Universal didn’t want to look like their movie was suddenly underperforming – though it wasn’t – after Nikki stupidly claimed it was overperforming – which it wasn’t. Maybe the WB whisper was different. Maybe the Sony whisper was also different.

In the end, besides one idiot writing up an incoherent mess which will be transmitted to an unknowing public via Matt Drudge, we have Bourne being built up and then defended, theatrical being presented as unstable, Aurora still being brought up though it is clearly a non-issue, and a bizarre skew on how domestic theatrical is doing overall this year and this summer.

All of those things, repeated by enough people who don’t know better, are dangerous to the industry and to the box office.

Or maybe it’s just a fart in the wind.

We’ll see if the wire services and other box office ignoramuses pick up on these clearly false notions.

Have a nice Saturday.

http://moviecitynews.com/2012/08/friday-estimates-by-klady-74/
  • Like 1