CJohn

Kung Fu Panda 3 | 1/29/2016 | New Trailer on Page 26!

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Don't know if you've seen the reported numbers in the China thread, but it might not cross 200M

Well, that doesn't really say much. KFP2 didn't break $100 million there, so it wouldn't be realistic to expect this to double that even if the characters actually are speaking Mandarin.

12 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, that doesn't really say much. KFP2 didn't break $100 million there, so it wouldn't be realistic to expect this to double that even if the characters actually are speaking Mandarin.

A lot of the China forum people were originally expecting 300m+. 

• Like 1

All of you fretting over minor things, while the Shay here seriously considers a worldwide travel in the beginning of February, because KP3 is not being shown ANYwhere except US and China till fucking mid-March!!

And since I don't want to go to America, I will go to (Indo)China. Not even joking. Most of February I'll be there.

THE WORLD'S FIRST CINE-TOURIST STRIKES AGAIN!! B) (If you care to remember, I moved to Ireland from Eastern Europe and lived a year and a half in Dublin - just to be able to watch 2-3 movies a day in the cineplex.)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

People were basing their predictions based on the market growth in China. Avengers made $86 million in 2012 and Age of Ultron made $240 million in 2015. KFP2 made $92 million in 2011, so people expected a similar growth pattern for KFP3. However, we've seen that animated films usually don't follow the same kind of growth. Minions only jumped $15 million from DM2 despite 2 additional years of expansion in China. It ended up just over $68 million even though people were predicting $150-200 million in the summer.

Edited by KP1025

Comparing it to something like Minions is bizarre, it's a film set in China, with Chinese themes and characters.

The growth over the past 5 years, combined with the great release date, more China-oriented production changes (like the different animation) meant that predicting $300M+ was not at all unreasonable.

• Like 1

In my humble opinion this film is extraordinarily good and I'm giving myself 11 months to try and come to terms with the fact that Mr oscar probably won't feel the same way :(

If it was a 2015 film it would have been top 3 in my current list as a minimum

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shayhiri said:

All of you fretting over minor things, while the Shay here seriously considers a worldwide travel in the beginning of February, because KP3 is not being shown ANYwhere except US and China till fucking mid-March!!

And since I don't want to go to America, I will go to (Indo)China. Not even joking. Most of February I'll be there.

THE WORLD'S FIRST CINE-TOURIST STRIKES AGAIN!! B) (If you care to remember, I moved to Ireland from Eastern Europe and lived a year and a half in Dublin - just to be able to watch 2-3 movies a day in the cineplex.)

lmao!

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

23.1M OD in China per Olive, didn't even beat Minions' OD.

I didn't expect that at all. KFP is way more popular than Minions or any other toon franchise in China...or so we assumed.

It will still end up more than Minions and BH6 in China for sure though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

I didn't expect that at all. KFP is way more popular than Minions or any other toon franchise in China...or so we assumed.

It will still end up more than Minions and BH6 in China for sure though.

dreamworks choose the coldest days of boxoffice to open.Normally,the week before CNY is the lowest week of whole year.People are busy doing year-end staff or on the road to come home.They should settle the date early or two weeks later.If they put off two weeks later,Panda will miss the CNY,but winter holiday isn't over then.imported films cant open on CNY. it's a hard case to choose a proper release date.Good luck to Panda.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Klingo said:

They watch in English dub or subtitle?

Theres a50/50 choice of showings.  My showing was subtitles of course :)

That in itself is a good sign though add good dinosaur for example was 100% subbed in all showings at the 6 cinemas close to me.

A wide range of subtitled showings us generally a sign that cinemas expect non~tiny children to want to see the film

• Like 1