Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I think actuals will be closer to $85m than $80m. I also think, as with TDK, Saturday business will be relatively flat and the Sunday hold will be excellent. I think a $180-184m opening weekend is easily in line.

Anyone who thinks this opening is disappointing or underperforming is an idiot. And anyone who thinks "What could have been if there wasn't a shooting" is also an idiot.

The movie is almost three hours long. No 3D. It didn't have a chance of beating The Avengers OW once that dumbfoundedly made $200 million.

Maybe if it had The Joker again.

But Bane is nowhere NEAR as well known to the general public as The Joker is. It's no coincidence that the two biggest Batman films of all time have The Joker in them and the rest don't even come close.

• Like 1

I don't think the shooting really deflated it that much. It couldn't have affect the midnights and the 30m it made was quite disappointing to most people. 50-55m of day business after 30m midnights is a pretty normal ratio for a highly anticipated sequel, if the shooting really had a big effect the day business would be a lot lower.

Don't let Clone Wars read this, he'll tell you this opinion isn't shared. :lol:

It's the rubbish he tried feeding me anyway over in the OW record thread.

Oh, FFS. 80M OD is NOT disappointing! 180 OW is NOT disappointing. This is a 2D film

Expectations tell another story, even if those were unrealistic.I was predicting an high 180M OW, and I fell disappointed with these numbers.

TA crossed 80M with a 18M midnight gross, TDKR's doing it with a 30M midnight gross. No where in the same league.

I understand what you are saying, but at the end of the day, TA would not have done this well if something similar had happened. I am not calling for TDKR to beat the OW record here, just that the performance in the face of the tragedy is quite remarkable and those calling it a disappointment are completely missing the mark.

Why couldn't this movie do as much or more than The Avengers on Sat/Sun? It will hold very well IMO.

Avengers did 70 on Saturday. You really think TDKR will come close to that off a 50 Friday? In July?

Anyone who thinks this opening is disappointing or underperforming is an idiot. And anyone who thinks "What could have been if there wasn't a shooting" is also an idiot.

The movie is almost three hours long. No 3D. It didn't have a chance of beating The Avengers OW once that dumbfoundedly made $200 million.

Maybe if it had The Joker again.

But Bane is nowhere NEAR as well known to the general public as The Joker is. It's no coincidence that the two biggest Batman films of all time have The Joker in them and the rest don't even come close.

If the movie only does mid 170's for OW then I think it's a bit disappointing since that will fail to beat TDK's admissions OW. Anyone here can testify that I've always been one to keep my box office expectations for TDKR in check and never expected 200, but even I did expect it to beat TDK's OW admissions by at least a little. Then again we don't know how the shooting impacted the OW so there's that variable.

Why couldn't this movie do as much or more than The Avengers on Sat/Sun? It will hold very well IMO.

This is Summer. Different times.It may not even do 50M on Saturday. Edited by CJohn

Don't let Clone Wars read this, he'll tell you this opinion isn't shared. :lol:

It's the rubbish he tried feeding me anyway over in the OW record thread.

I'm not the only person on this board who feels the OD was impacted by the shooting. Many other posters have posted the same belief.

Massive shooting is preventing it from having a bigger OW, Baumer disliked it, BKB banned, iJack and reddevil suspended.

Why BKB always ends up banned and iJack just suspended? Everyone here prefers BKB so what the hell?
  • Like 1

Opinions on the film at the moment seem very divisive.Some saying it's the best of the three. Some saying it's the worst. I'm in the latter group right now. But by all means that doesn't mean I didn't like it. I very much did, but something's missing.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1