Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

This never had a chance at midnight record, opening day record or weekend record. Those are held by 3D films. That is too much to overcome. TDKR didn't even sell as many tickets as NM did at midnight.

• Like 1

Holy coinage, Batman! THE DARK KNIGHT RISES scored $27M from midnight screenings, topping THE AVENGERS' $18.7M.

https://www.facebook.com/ercboxoffice

See, doesn't this just feel like nothing to celebrate? And not referring to the below-expectations number either, just the thought in general. Were the victims' money included in that tally? What a downer.

I told you everyone was over predicting this, but no one wanted to listen, to myself or Maverikk for that matter.. Heath Ledger and his personal tragedy sold TDK to even folks who weren't BATMAN fans, but this movie is probably for the hardcore Batman fan familiar with NO MAN'S LAND or KNIGHTFALL.. It's really hard though to give a shit about box office after what happened last night, you know???

And yet, here you are, trying to downplay TDKR's midnight number, which, by the way....BEAT THE AVENGERS' midnight, and with no need of 3D, which makes the TA number look even more pathetic. Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

What awful,awful news. I have tickets for today but the tragic events have really dampened my mood and lessened my excitement for the movie. I definitely am not scared of copy cats (even though the reports of the NYPD stepping up security at all movie theatres showing TDKR did make me feel better) but the first thing I did when I saw the news this morning was contact the people I am going with today to decide if we are still going. The general consensus was yes but i'm still not sure if I care to go. The gloomy weather isn't making me want to leave the house much either.

See, doesn't this just feel like nothing to celebrate? And not referring to the below-expectations number either, just the thought in general. Were the victims' money included in that tally? What a downer.

Exactly, how I feel. Number's closer to a disappointment but I'm just sad that a mad man took so many precious lives.

This never had a chance at midnight record, opening day record or weekend record. Those are held by 3D films. That is too much to overcome. TDKR didn't even sell as many tickets as NM did at midnight.

You are correct. TDKR lacks both 3D and that ultra-fanboy angle that series like Twilight and Potter enjoy. I am interested to see how this compares to TA in terms of OW ticket sales. It beat TA at midnights by a wide margin, but I am thinking that may turn around before all is said and done.

What awful,awful news. I have tickets for today but the tragic events have really dampened my mood and lessened my excitement for the movie. I definitely am not scared of copy cats (even though the reports of the NYPD stepping up security at all movie theatres showing TDKR did make me feel better) but the first thing I did when I saw the news this morning was contact the people I am going with today to decide if we are still going. The general consensus was yes but i'm still not sure if I care to go. The gloomy weather isn't making me want to leave the house much either.

This is going to be the main huge negative effect what happened will have on the box office...many, many people, who were previously excited to go see TDKR or casually planned on going, will now say that their mood has changed, etc. and perhaps decide to go at a later time of at all. They don't want to sit in the theater and be reminded of the tragedy and think about that the whole time, etc. Edited by FTF

I've heard this from several people now. To be fair, I've also heard from several, including CDK, who said it was fucking brilliant.

Honestly, opinions on the movie seem to vary wildly.I think we might have another Prometheus situation on our hands.

Honestly, opinions on the movie seem to vary wildly.I think we might have another Prometheus situation on our hands.

If TDKR promotes as much online dialogue as Prometheus did, then great. I have no problem with a divisive movie.