chasmmi

Where do you want batman to go from here?

What do you want next?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Where to go?

• Direct Sequel to TDKR
    • A non TDKR sequel yet set in the Nolan Batman Universe
    • Revert back to the previous universe (maybe forgetting B+R)
    • Brand new reimagining in a new Gotham Universe
    • Batman vs Superman or some over comic crossover
    • No more Batman movies (at least for a long long time.

This is what I would like to see and do:

My vote for villains goes to Black Mask, Penguin and Killer Croc.

My storyline for the movie would be something like this: first of all I would do it less realistic, more visual and comic-booky (not campy), but no less serious, than the Nolan Batmans. The aesthetic could be something like the graphic novel Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, although a bit less surreal. Black Mask would be ruling the criminal underworld in Gotham City. Killer Croc, a mutated freak, is raised by a Voodoo cult in a swamp somewhere in the American South. Killer Croc later slaughters all the members of the cult. Meanwhile, the Penguin, a less animalistic freak, but also a crime boss, is losing more and more control of Gotham's criminal underworld to Black Mask. The Penguin also runs a f**ked up freak show that goes to messed up locations across America and displays freaks to messed up people who would pay to see freaks. At one of their shows they go the swamp mentioned earlier where a certain croc resides. Killer Croc kills all the guests and the other freaks, but he doesn't kill the Penguin. The Penguin kind of adopts him and brings him to Gotham City, to reclaim Gotham's criminal underworld from Black Mask. And the Batman has to save Gotham from the war that ensues.

All of this, of course, has to be done in a very dark, horror movie kind of way...

I would like for them to not make a Batman movie for a loooooonnnggg time, but know that's not happening. But if they're going to make one, I would hope for a direct sequel strictly using Blake and my dream come true would be for Nolan to come back, original cast and all 15 years from now as another direct to the Blake story with Bale returning as Wayne. An older Batman. Would do shit box office wise, bit it would be cool for me. Not happening though :lol:

Hard to answer the question without knowing what WB's Justice League plans are. If they're serious about it then clearly Batman will have to be more fantastical to accomodate that universe. I assume they'll make a reboot and if MoS goes down well merge the two worlds in a follow-up.

The animated series tone seems the best route to me for Batman - serious but slightly stylized. It can't be too different from Nolan's universe or else people won't buy it, but a gradual, nuanced shift is necessary. No need for an origin story (in fact it would be a huge mistake), just give us an experienced Batman doing his thing and trust the audience to go along for the ride if the film's good. I'd like to see someone over 30 play the role but WB are probably too scared to do that for some reason.

Incidentally, I'd love to see Fincher's take on Batman but it's hard to think he wouldn't make it even more down to earth than Nolan. Brad Bird's a good choice if he can nail the noir mood I'd like to pervade the film.

Edited by Hatebox

Who would be dumb (or ambitious... still I say dumb) enough to try to go the same route as Nolan when he pretty much owned it?I say different approach makes more sense, even though I do not want to see it being made for a few more years than WB is planning (planned 2016?). If MoS is successful enough and JL gets made, I won't mind the reboot if it goes the Animated series route. That, I would be content with.Leave this trilogy alone is all I say. It fucking worked perfectly for me.

^ There's very little they can 'take' from the trilogy even if they wanted to. Bruce Wayen has to be Batman, so a non origin story reboot is necessary whether they like it or not.

That's precisely why I think it makes sense for WB to reboot it after JL, because they can introduce him in JL and go straight from there into batman reboot with same actor and universe without doing the origin story (smart since BB had an amazing origin story).

I personally wish they wait but they won't, but the way they are planning sounds good enough for me.

I say it is time to let The Batman rest, give him 5 years or so, focus on Superman right now, get some links to a future JL film set, and then when the time is right, bring him back and do it in a less grounded way, more stylized, more comicbook, don't go all cheeze-tastic or over-the-top way but less reality bound, less Nolan type, but it won't be easy for anybody attached to the next version of Batman, big shoes to fill.

• Founder / Operator

It's absolutely essential that it's fantasy IMO. Nolan's 'real' take was great but it's too restricting for villains.

I don't know that its essential, its just a good option. One could easily argue that the fantasy elements of the Burton/Schumaker films were too restricting for villains (in terms of their character). Granted, that's going to an extreme end of the spectrum.

I say it is time to let The Batman rest, give him 5 years or so, focus on Superman right now, get some links to a future JL film set, and then when the time is right, bring him back and do it in a less grounded way, more stylized, more comicbook, don't go all cheeze-tastic or over-the-top way but less reality bound, less Nolan type, but it won't be easy for anybody attached to the next version of Batman, big shoes to fill.

I generally agree here. What I *think* might happen is they skip another Batman series altogether and skip straight to Justice League. Just introduce the new Batman there and let him live in that universe. Honestly, I think that's the best way to follow Nolan's series and still hope for big success. It will be a very long time before non-fanboys are ready or willing to embrace a different version of Batman.

If the studio tries to greenlight another Batman-standalone series within the next 3-4 years, they're going to learn that lesson the hard way (IMO) when mainstream interest falls back to the level of being comparable to the X-Men films right now (or maybe the new Spidey).

Nolan's trilogy is revered and hugely successful for a reason: because it changed the genre on film. That's not something you follow very easily, and its definitely not something that ever gets replaced. I honestly have this gut feeling that while we're assuming WB will "naturally" go forward with another series in a few years, they might just surprise us and do what is necessary: put Batman on ice. Let Superman and the Justice League have their day with solid films in the mean time, and just let the Batman character have a break for a decade or so (outside of JL films). They leave him off the screen for that long, and demand will start to creep back in. But until then, Batman as a film franchise has commercially peaked -- probably for more than decade, too.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I think WB will act smart, they know what a wrong move can put the franchise down to the deep shithole where it was before Nolan took over. Batman in JLA makes sense. Then who knows, maybe in 10-12 years time Nolan would return as well if he has a great story to tell and finds a cinematic challenge to do another Batman film.

Batman vs. Superman would be impossible. It can work in the comic universe, but not on film, it would be so lame.

I don't want any Batman films for the foreseeable future. Continuing on from Batman & Robin is the best bet.

if you refer to that ficton-Adaptation

I don't think there gonna be any Batman vs. Superman plot according to current story line,John Blake becomes Nightwing ,and Bruce just can't put on his cowl anymore---incapable both mentally and physically-(his role is more like what Alfred states in TDKR--This city needs Bruce Wayne, your resources, your knowledge. It doesn't need your body, or your life)

Edited by rickfox