CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

To me a lot of the $200m/600m certainty predictions were always suspect because 99% of them came after The Avengers had smashed the record unexpectedly. A lot of the assumption, not just here but all over the internet, was the since TDKR was destined to be the biggest film of 2012 if TA did $207m then of course DKR had to do $210m/$600m it was only logical.

Now I thought, and still think it is possible that the film would get over $500m but a lot of predicitions were based on the fallacy that it had to be the biggest.

• Like 9

To me a lot of the $200m/600m certainty predictions were always suspect because 99% of them came after The Avengers had smashed the record unexpectedly. A lot of the assumption, not just here but all over the internet, was the since TDKR was destined to be the biggest film of 2012 if TA did $207m then of course DKR had to do $210m/$600m it was only logical.

Now I thought, and still think it is possible that the film would get over $500m but a lot of predicitions were based on the fallacy that it had to be the biggest.

Not true. We had more than 20 members before TA opened.

You can't read my man. I said many times that we can't claim success or disappointment regarding TDKR. I'm certainly not have any of those feelings, because box office is secondary issue. It's far more important to restore the cinema's pure and innocent status. Read my eulogy in the 200m thread. You're chatting shit again and you're WRONG in every possible way. Underwhelming marketing? I'm sure that's why BO and BOM and many high-profile industry analysts predicted 200m. You did call them delusional. You state your prediction as the melting pit, which is a sign of arrogance. The trailer had great response, especially the Nokia one. The Heath argument were put to bed for once and for all after the UK and OZ numbers made it clear that you guys were wrong all along. Heath's brilliant performance clearly helped TDKR. Third installment always drop huge? Well this is clearly not the case with TDKR if you take a look at the international numbers. You need to look a the markets where TDK overperformed and follow the comparison with TDKR. Unfortunately when it comes to the US box office, there's no comparison in this situation, so whatever is happening the upcoming weeks, I take the number as it. I suggest you to do the same and forget about previous predictions. This is not an usual situation and you know it.The difference between you and me that you're arrogant to call people's 200m prediction delusional, when we don't know what would have happened, whereas I don't claim that it definitely would have, I simply say that we don't know. That is the fact.

No, the difference between you and me is you're still trying to justify your own petty box office claims instead of realizing what the issue at hand here is really about. I can see I won't get through to you no matter how logically and rationally I explain myself, but I'll say it one last time and try to be as concise and clear as possible. I'm not trying to offend or attack you or anyone personally, but I don't like seeing the tragedy being used to justify unreachable predictions. It was affected by it on OW, most likely still some this week, but the vast majority of those who really want to see it won't stay away forever.And with that I'm out.
  • Like 1

Far from a lock.

Russia and China will provide 100M. TDKR just needs to match TDK's OS everywhere else, and that would put it at over 550M OS.So far it's doing great everywhere. I thought UK + Australia would drop from TDK in USD, but they ended up matching it. Asia exploded: +50% from TDK despite no 3D.

Based on what I have read on these forums so far,Most people consider TDKR OW a disappointment.Most people believe 500M is no longer possible.Some believe 1 Billion is still possible.Ok fellas,TDKR OW is only a disappointment when compared to The Avengers. Still #3 of ALL TIME.400M isn't bad! Only 14 movies have grossed 400M. This movie hasn't opened in half the countries it will be released in so 240M is a great start.

No, the difference between you and me is you're still trying to justify your own petty box office claims instead of realizing what the issue at hand here is really about. I can see I won't get through to you no matter how logically and rationally I explain myself, but I'll say it one last time and try to be as concise and clear as possible. I'm not trying to offend or attack you or anyone personally, but I don't like seeing the tragedy being used to justify unreachable predictions. It was affected by it on OW, most likely still some this week, but the vast majority of those who really want to see it won't stay away forever.And with that I'm out.

The point is that it is arrogant to claim something unreachable when it's undecided. I have a decency to accept that I could be wrong, but you don't. You claim that your sub 200m prediction is justified, whereas it's obvious that we'll never know for sure. You fail to see that it is not a debate over predictions anymore, I do not argue for 200m, I'm stressing the the principle to accept that there are no winners here. It's a case that will never be solved. Why can't some accept that we'll never find out what could have been, why do you have to argue that 200m wouldn't have happened anyway when it's not priority anymore. And more importantly, how inappropriate from you to try to quantify the impact of the tragedy. That what's make me sad not your prediction, I have never judge people based on that. Edited by The Dark Alfred

To be fair Dark Alfred...There is no denying that TA caused many people including myself to increase predictions to over 200 million or made people who made such a prediction see it as a guarantee....

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Except it doesn't when you look at OS expansion in the last 4-5 years. All foreign territories, including ones like Australia have gotten so much bigger and added so many more theaters in the time frame since TDK came out. Not to mention Batman wasn't big at all in most foreign territories like Australia when TDK came out. TDK made it big. TDKR is reaping the benefits of that now on its foreign OWs.

Australia is not an expanding m arket. Also, it doesn't matter. The fact is, people returned in Australia, but not in the US? That is bullshit