Ozymandias

If 2001: A Space Odyssey were released today...

Mass/mainstream audiences would HATE it. Everyone would hail the special effects but words like 'pretentious' and 'overrated' would be thrown around like candy wrappers. But some critics/viewers would recognize for the gem that it is.

• Like 7

Mass/mainstream audiences would HATE it. Everyone would hail the special effects but words like 'pretentious' and 'overrated' would be thrown around like candy wrappers. But some critics/viewers would recognize for the gem that it is.

Yeah. Along with its really slow pace, 2001 is a movie that really challenges the viewer to engage him/herself. I just watched a biography of Stanley Kubrick on TV a few days ago and when this movie came out a lot of people were declaring his career was dead after this rofl. Now its widely considered one of the best films ever made among critics.I wouldn't expect modern audiences to like this film much at all though.

It would almost certainly bomb(with an almost 60m budget). Yes people do appreciate smart films these days(inception) but the super slow pacing and lack of action would kill this films chances of success. Plus its just to polarizing to too many people.

2001 wouldn't get a trailer designed to confuse people in today's time about the genre. It would get a trailer that would play up the fact that it is a stylistic, technical creation by a filmmaker known for his singular style.That's what The Tree of Life did since it's a quintessential Terrence Malick film and that's what the trailer for 2001 would do. it wouldn't try to trick people into seeing it.

Yeah. Along with its really slow pace, 2001 is a movie that really challenges the viewer to engage him/herself. I just watched a biography of Stanley Kubrick on TV a few days ago and when this movie came out a lot of people were declaring his career was dead after this rofl. Now its widely considered one of the best films ever made among critics.I wouldn't expect modern audiences to like this film much at all though.

The same audiences who disliked it before would be right there to tear it up again unfortunately; good film is rarely recognized for pure beauty. I also saw the biography on TV during a business trip for Dish; it amazes me how easily someone's work is pushed aside, during their life when they can appreciate it. Then after they are long gone in the ground suddenly, they are sensational. The first movie I watched that introduced me to Stanley Kubrick was "A Clockwork Orange", I was fascinated by the rough purity being devoured throughout the film. Since then I have been hooked and sadly mourned his passing with "Eye's Wide Shut". I have a trip coming up that will be rather long so using my Blockbuster @Home; I plan to have a Kubrick marathon in his honor, because I can. My hotel room will be less empty with the fantastic scores and vivid direction of Mr. Kubrick.
  • Like 1

2001 wouldn't get a trailer designed to confuse people in today's time about the genre. It would get a trailer that would play up the fact that it is a stylistic, technical creation by a filmmaker known for his singular style.That's what The Tree of Life did since it's a quintessential Terrence Malick film and that's what the trailer for 2001 would do. it wouldn't try to trick people into seeing it.

I don't know about that. Just look at Prometheus. The trailer made it look like a straight forward action/horror mish mash of Alien and Aliens and instead it turned out to be the love child of 2001 and Alien. There isn't a single action sequence in Prometheus unless you count the crashing ship/mutating Fifeild killing people. The trailer was epic, and thats why I think the studio felt if it was marketed for what it was, a relatively slow, ambiguous thinker old school scifi film, it wouldn't have opened so high. Prometheus isn't very close to 2001 when it comes to slow pacing and ambiguity, but it has some of the same themes/ideas in addition to its own and some people are still completely baffled by it. I'm thinking of doing a write up on it in the review forum but I'm gonna wait until the Blu-ray comes out with all the extras on it. It apparently has a 60 minute extra on it called "Weylend's secret diaries". Wow, wtf is that? Edited by Shpongle

The same audiences who disliked it before would be right there to tear it up again unfortunately; good film is rarely recognized for pure beauty. I also saw the biography on TV during a business trip for Dish; it amazes me how easily someone's work is pushed aside, during their life when they can appreciate it. Then after they are long gone in the ground suddenly, they are sensational. The first movie I watched that introduced me to Stanley Kubrick was "A Clockwork Orange", I was fascinated by the rough purity being devoured throughout the film. Since then I have been hooked and sadly mourned his passing with "Eye's Wide Shut". I have a trip coming up that will be rather long so using my Blockbuster @Home; I plan to have a Kubrick marathon in his honor, because I can. My hotel room will be less empty with the fantastic scores and vivid direction of Mr. Kubrick.

I agree. Kubrick was the greatest of all IMO.
  • Like 1

I don't know about that. Just look at Prometheus. The trailer made it look like a straight forward action/horror mish mash of Alien and Aliens and instead it turned out to be the love child of 2001 and Alien. There isn't a single action sequence in Prometheus unless you count the crashing ship/mutating Fifeild killing people. The trailer was epic, and thats why I think the studio felt if it was marketed for what it was, a relatively slow, ambiguous thinker old school scifi film, it wouldn't have opened so high. Prometheus isn't very close to 2001 when it comes to slow pacing and ambiguity, but it has some of the same themes/ideas in addition to its own and some people are still completely baffled by it. I'm thinking of doing a write up on it in the review forum but I'm gonna wait until the Blu-ray comes out with all the extras on it. It apparently has a 60 minute extra on it called "Weylend's secret diaries". Wow, wtf is that?

The Tree of Life is far more similar to 2001 than Prometheus could even dream of being. Malick is far more similar to Kubrick than Ridley Scott is, so the marketing for a Kubrick film would far more closely follow the Malick model.You yourself admit you haven't seen any of The Tree of Life so there really isn't much for you to say until you do see it. Edited by 4815162342

The Tree of Life is far more similar to 2001 than Prometheus could even dream of being. Malick is far more similar to Kubrick than Ridley Scott is, so the marketing for a Kubrick film would far more closely follow the Malick model.

You yourself admit you haven't seen any of The Tree of Life so there really isn't much for you to say until you do see it.

I just read a detailed plot synopsis of it and it does sound like 2001 in some ways, but text doesn't do any film justice. I'm gonna check this out anyways. Also, just checked reviews and reception for Tree of Life on wikipedia and RT and LOL they're polarizing as fuck and all over the map just like 2001 and Prometheus are. Edited by Shpongle

So coincidentally Tree of Life came on HBO last night and Posted ImagePosted Image

JESUS CHRIST that was the most boooring and disengaging film I've ever seen. I don't know how you can call it similar to 2001. The only thing they share in common is the slow pacing(this was even slower than 2001 IMO) and the use of imagery to move the plot forward. Its not even really a science fiction film. That style isn't bad when the material at hand is great like in 2001, but this was just downright tedious. The only reason I didn't change the channel half way through was because of this thread. I guess the film could be seen as great from just an artistic perspective, but I have to have some entertainment value in my films and damn this film just had none of that whatsoever except for big bang sequence and the start of life(which was amazing I'll admit).