65 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Wall-E

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

If by "start of downfall" you mean "began to show greater maturity and depth", then I agree.Btw, Tele Jr and I are watching WALL-E right now. Wall-E's chasing Eve back to the ship.

Yeah but Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc were still mature films with strong messages yet still managed to keep their wit about them. These are kids films at the end of the day, they shouldn't sacrifice humour for messages. It's like they dropped the ball on the entertainment side of things and are just out to impress the critics and win awards, as a result their films are selling fewer tickets.
  • Like 1

Yeah but Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc were still mature films with strong messages yet still managed to keep their wit about them. These are kids films at the end of the day, they shouldn't sacrifice humour for messages. It's like they dropped the ball on the entertainment side of things and are just out to impress the critics and win awards, as a result their films are selling fewer tickets.

Well, they're still making money. I'm glad that making a billion dollars was of secondary concern for them in this movie's case.

• Like 1

Up was Pixar's second highest grossing original film, and Cars 2 was by far its least attended.

Much of Up is pretty humorous, tbf. It's just the two mega-emotional scenes are what people remember the most.

Regardless, not every animated movie needs laugh-a-minute gags to be great.

Edited by tribefan695

Well, they're still making money. I'm glad that making a billion dollars was of secondary concern for them in this movie's case.

Look, im not saying it's a bad film or anything, but it certainly doesn't live up to the likes of Monsters Inc or Finding Nemo. They were both full of heart and hilarious to watch. Wall E imo (and most of the GA) was too pretentious for its own good.
  • Like 1

Look, im not saying it's a bad film or anything, but it certainly doesn't live up to the likes of Monsters Inc or Finding Nemo. They were both full of heart and hilarious to watch. Wall E imo (and most of the GA) was too pretentious for its own good.

None of us can be sure what the "GA" really thinks. All I know is my 7-year-old cousin loved it. 

And for my money, Wall-E blows both of those films away. (less so Nemo than Monsters Inc, but still, Wall-E single-handedly made me a Pixar fan again after being indifferent to their previous two films)

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

all I see here is your opinion about the movie clouding your judgment. Wall-E is just as funny as past Pixar movies, it has plenty of heart too, one could say that it's one of the most emotional Pixar films. Wall-E was highest grossing animated movie of 2008, let's not forget that before saying GA thought it was too pretentious.
  • Like 1

Finally got to see this on a big screen. Unfortunately that meant taking the bad with the good. Some kid started crying very loudly near the end when Wall E became a drone again. I tried to convince myself he was crying over the movie but it became pretty apparent he wasn't.

Apart from that, the movie remains a wonder to behold. Wall E and Eve are among Pixar's most lovable characters and their story plays out beautifully. Visuals are still pretty gorgeous and I think seeing it in a theater helps you appreciate the detail that went into the Axiom scenes more. And then of course there's the space dance.

As a plus, finally got to see TGD's second trailer on a big screen.

Edited by tribefan695

Reposting..

On 2/11/2014 at 10:09 AM, a2knet said:

I don't think GA loved it that much.

Why didn't it have better legs (compared to other Pixar summer originals) ?

It's multiplier of 3.55 is the worst:

Brave is 3.58

Cars is 4.06

Up is 4.30

Ratatouille is 4.39

Nemo is 4.84

I think those multipliers align well with GA's reception. Don't they most of the times?

The ow of those movies are similar too except for Ratatouille.

Looking at Pixar summer sequels separately (cause they have front-loading):

Cars2 is 2.89

MU is 3.26

TS3 is 3.77

Again, multipliers align well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pixar has a great fan-base so I get that newer movies can be a bit more front-loaded. But Up, Brave, TS3 came after Wall-e, and Ratatouille was just 1 year before.

I personally didn't like it. Thought it was preach-e  :ph34r:

B/B-

The 1st half was really good. Movie could have been great. 2nd half was a letdown.

B.

There's too much artistry here for me to give it a lower score. The first half is good, in my opinion, and it's amazing that this movie found a large crowd by testing everyone's attention span.

I really don't like the attempt at social satire, though. It's embarrassing and hypocritical. It is the height of chutzpah for a movie to remark how modern people are lazy and fat, as watching movies is a leisure activity. Almost no movie is intellectual enough to earn the right to make that point, and WALL-E does not rise to that level.

And the satire is so one-note! It's never explained how these people got to be so implausibly lazy and stupid. It's just a big fuck-you to the audience, and not a cleverly thought-out one.

Edited by cannastop

everyoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinioneveryoneisentitledtotheiropinion

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's never explained how these people got to be so implausibly lazy and stupid. 

But it is. 700 years of no physical activity plus being strongly encouraged to eat as much high-sugar/high-calorie processed foods and drinks, with little effort or interest in intellectual activities (not that there's much on a cruise ship to begin with). I also never took the satire as an absolute direct attack on the literal people of today, merely that this (highly exaggerated) outcome was the likely end result. Really, at its core, it's about accepting responsibility (for the humans at least).

Just now, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

But it is. 700 years of no physical activity plus being strongly encouraged to eat as much high-sugar/high-calorie processed foods and drinks, with little effort or interest in intellectual activities (not that there's much on a cruise ship to begin with). I also never took the satire as an absolute direct attack on the literal people of today, merely that this (highly exaggerated) outcome was the likely end result. Really, at its core, it's about accepting responsibility (for the humans at least).

That's still one-note satire, in my opinion. I suppose that there's better context than I remember.

It kind of illustrates the disconnect between the humans and the robots. I care about Wall-E and Eve, but I don't give a hoot about the humans, based on what they've let themselves become.

Now I might have stumbled onto something there with the prospect of artificial intelligence becoming more human than humans. I think what I would have wanted to see is a more subtle way of showing what mindless consumers the humans were, just like we got a subtle way of seeing how Wall-E is a person just like us.