AniNate

Trolls | Nov 4 2016 | Trailer Page 7. Justin Timberlake, Anna Kendrick. RT watch - 86%

7 hours ago, RandomJC said:

The day an animated kids feature is hurt by the release of a live action film meant for and older audience is the day the box office truly dies.

If I can speak in hyperbole for a moment.

5 minutes ago, Durden said:

Hangover 2 x Kung Fu Panda 2 ? 22 Jump Street x How To Train Your Dragon 2 ?

Yep, those are two clear examples of Dreamworks movies being undercut by a breakout live-action movies.

The Hangover Part II was a massive hit and it took away any possible adult audience that Kung Fu Panda 2 could get. I bet lots of parents left their kids with a babysitter that weekend.

Edited by cannastop

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's easy to say that now but the narrative before its release was a complete lack of competition and a release date reasonably close to Lego Movie's

I honestly think what hurt KFP3, was a 5 year wait for the sequel and its tv show.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Besides a big Veteran's Day bump, it's also likely to see a big return on Election Day (November 8th.) Historically family films seem to do especially well.

In 2008, HSM3 jumped 66% and Beverly Hills Chihuahua jumped 86%.

In 2009, Astro Boy jumped 50% and Cloudy w/ a Chance of Meatballs 56%.

In 2010, Legend of the Guardians had a 54% bump.

In 2011, Puss in Boots jumped 49%.

In 2012, WiR jumped 60% on Election Day. Hotel Transylvania jumped 85%.

In 2013, Free Birds jumped 76%. Cloudy 2 jumped 103%.

In 2014, Alexander & The etc. jumped an astounding 122%. The Book of Life jumped 86%.

And last year, Goosebumps jumped 57% while Hotel Transylvania 2 jumped 59%.

While there has been a shift over time for all films doing better on Tuesdays, it still seems the case that family films do even better on Election Day.

So I wouldn't be surprised if you see a first Tuesday jump of at least 75% for Trolls.

(This, of course, will be followed by a bigger than normal Wednesday drop.)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Do you think the TV show hurt the movie?

Not by much for KFP, but PoM had a tv show and some people I know thought it was the same as the tv show which turned them off of seeing the movie.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamironman said:

lol people really think this will beat dr strange 

No one said it will beat that film. And while i don't think Trolls will massively crush Dr.Strange........i also don't think Dr Strange will massively crush Trolls, either. And before any Marvel-fan says "Oh, but it's a Marvel-film"......well, that's not a good enough argument. Not every Marvel-film will demolish it's competitors and win over them all in a year. Case in point, last year in the summer when AOU lost against JW.

Both Trolls & Dr Strange has different audiences.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

No one said it will beat that film. And while i don't think Trolls will massively crush Dr.Strange........i also don't think Dr Strange will massively crush Trolls, either. And before any Marvel-fan says "Oh, but it's a Marvel-film"......well, that's not a good enough argument. Not every Marvel-film will demolish it's competitors and win over them all in a year. Case in point, last year in the summer when AOU lost against JW.

Both Trolls & Dr Strange has different audiences.

Perhaps. It's actually not really clear whether MCU films either affect or are affected by family film competition. The series is remarkably free of competition for the week of release. A lot of this has to do with staking out the early May slots; of those seven, only Iron Man and Thor faced another wide release for the opening.

Of the other six, Thor 2 and CA2 also had a lack of opening competition.

Still, even among the films that did have another release, none of them faced a major animated or family film. Or even a family film of any sort. If we extend to the preceding and following weeks, though, we get these pairs:

IM1 & Speed Racer

The Incredible Hulk & Kung-Fu Panda

IM2 & Furry Vengeance

Thor & Hoodwinked 2

CA1 & Winnie The Pooh & The Smurfs (& DH2?)

CA2 & Rio 2

GOTG & TMNT

Thor 2 & Free Birds (& Ender's Game?)

Ant-Man & Minions (& Pixels?)

There isn't a whole lot to draw on there. Several of these aren't really "family" films. For instance, TMNT and GOTG are arguably drawing from the same general audience, and neither was hurt by the close proximity to the other. Actually, you can find several pars like that, even when you do look more specifically at animation.

Granted, things have changed a lot, like TIH with and KFP, Marvel wasn't yet what it's become and DWA was far different, too. Alternatively, something like Minions had plenty of other things to consider that Trolls won't, even if Ant-Man is the closest analogue we have to Doctor Strange.

So, who knows how the two films will affect each other. It's unprecedented territory, and as much as people like to shit on DWA, it's still able to pull off surprise hits. Nobody saw Home coming, after all.

• Like 3