16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Real Steel

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Really enjoyed this one. It's predictable for sure but ultimately satisfactory. Also going in the film's favor for me was the kid wasn't annoying, something that often brings down many films where the kid is prominent. The CGI and special effects were both good and once again Hugh Jackman turns in a great performance.

B+

It's cliche, cheesy, and overly sentimental, but I still enjoyed this.

There's a certain atmosphere and personality that is pretty endearing. The fights are good, Hugh Jackman turns in a solid if unremarkable performance, and in the end it's just a feel-good film. The kid does get a bit annoying at times, but it really could have been a lot worse.

I'd say a good pick for a Blu-ray rental.

B/B-

I didn't think it was a bad movie (I actually kind of enjoyed it while I was watching it), but it's familiar to the point where it doesn't leave much of an impression.

C+

I'm still trying to figure out why it was rated PG-13, though; it seemed really tame for a movie with that rating as far as the violence was concerned. Maybe it was the admittedly persistent product placement for Budweiser that pushed it past PG territory for the MPAA?