Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

I haven't seen Ruby Sparks, but (500) Days deals with the MPDG trope in a smarter way than it tends to be given credit for - the whole relationship ultimately fails because JGL is seeing Deschanel as an MPDG and is blind to her as an actual person, which the movie openly acknowledges. As told from his POV, the movie might begin as a fantasy (although, since it's told in a non-linear fashion, we know from the opening scenes that eventually something goes very wrong), but it ends with the rose-coloured glasses being taken away from him, which says everything about the creators' intentions right there. Something like "Especially you, Jenny Beckman. Bitch" might seem a bit too much (personally I never really cared about that), but overall the quirkiness is part of the point - Deschanel as the  exaggerated perfect dream girl exists in JGL's imagination more than in reality, and it's only natural that the relationship ends fairly quickly and they don't get back together at the end. 

and the resurrection of it with the next season change.

Yeah and the manchild crowd that worship this movie goes "Deschanel was really a bitch!". (Not surprising since the screenwriter reminds you in a foreword all of this is a revenge fantasy about Jenny Beckman, that "bitch"? No amount of pseudo-irony and failed attempts at discarding the MPC trope will change that in the end).

:rolleyes:

Edited by dashrendar44

The end of 500 Days is actually quite depressing - after all that the main guy hasn't learnt a thing and seems to have fallen head of heels for girl he barely knows again. I can't tell if that's intentional or not, because the scene was played as feel-good.

• Like 1

SLP should have stuck with either dancing or fantasy football + mental illness. All three elements put together didn't work for me.

mte

I really cant pinpoint whats wrong I just couldnt connect with the characters until the last competition

thx!

really love Adams but I hope Thompson is a nominee

Hey Leyla.  What do you mean about Renner?

out of the Supp actor contention :(

Edited by Leyla

The end of 500 Days is actually quite depressing - after all that the main guy hasn't learnt a thing and seems to have fallen head of heels for girl he barely knows again. I can't tell if that's intentional or not, because the scene was played as feel-good.

I never took it that way. What's he supposed to do, never ask any woman out again? He hasn't fallen head over heels for that girl, he's just attracted to her enough to invite her for a cup of coffee. They may have a future together, they may not, in any case, it's simply the next stage in JGL's life. 

mte

I really cant pinpoint whats wrong I just couldnt connect with the characters until the last competition

thx!

really love Adams but I hope Thompson is a nominee

out of the Supp actor contention :(

Aw ok

I never took it that way. What's he supposed to do, never ask any woman out again? He hasn't fallen head over heels for that girl, he's just attracted to her enough to invite her for a cup of coffee. They may have a future together, they may not, in any case, it's simply the next stage in JGL's life. 

I get what both of you guys are saying. Yes on to next chapter but the way it was presented was pretty lame and corny and tacked on. I thought the movie was perfect up until the ending.