Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

11 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

I dunno. Borys has his insider guys and he's very credible. Don't think he would exaggerate, and he must have at least some word.

If things are as bad as he’s making it out to be then I don’t see how the company survives next year. 

• Like 1

Zero clue why everyone here acts like the sky is falling. 

December is the years premiere release date for everything not named ENDGAME. WB had been routinely losing the release date war to Disney for years. Aquabro 2 is now the premiere holiday event film and will make far more money as the main December opener than it ever would have in March. This is obviously a good move.

Aquabro 2 may be serving as the so-called "relaunching" of the DCEU and just got an extremely high profile release date. 

absolute-win-hulk.gif

Edited by excel1

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

If things are as bad as he’s making it out to be then I don’t see how the company survives next year. 

Hollywood accounting, Discovery has money + loans, lenders, etc. It isn't rocket science. 

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Hollywood accounting, Discovery has money + loans, lenders, etc. It isn't rocket science. 

I personally think they moved Shazam cause they’re gonna be spending a lot on black adam, and this way they can save some money and realistically put Shazam in a better spot to succeed.

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Zero clue why everyone here acts like the sky is falling. 

December is the years premiere release date for everything not named ENDGAME. WB had been routinely losing the release date war to Disney for years. Aquabro 2 is now the premiere holiday event film and will make far more money as the main December opener than it ever would have in March. This is obviously a good move.

Aquabro 2 may be serving as the so-called "relaunching" of the DCEU and just got an extremely high profile release date. 

absolute-win-hulk.gif

Tbh I think Aquaman 2 more or less does about the same as it would in March.

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Just remember who the most likely buyer is...............

Ap...

17 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I want apple to buy it. 

Damn.  Got beaten to the punch for the joke. :lol: 

(seriously tho, it would not surprise me one iota to see Apple make that sort of splash if they wanted to)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Hollywood accounting does not work when you owe banks lots of money...which is the situation WB is in. No matter how good your accountents are, the banks have better ones.

You don't get that he people who loaned Warners money are the ones who  want their money repaid, which is the root of this whole crisis.

I am getting a little tired of "Hollywood Accounting" being used to basically try to avoid unpleasent facts.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

They currently teach AOL-Time Warner in every MBA program, at this current moment, they might as well package literally every WB merger outside of their merger with Tuner.

Every WB merger in history has been bad, WB-Seven Arts, Kinney National, Time Inc, AOL Time Warner, AT&T Time Warner, and now Warner Bros Discovery. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I personally think they moved Shazam cause they’re gonna be spending a lot on black adam, and this way they can save some money and realistically put Shazam in a better spot to succeed.

I think moving the expense of marketing and releasing a movie, which can easily run into huge amounts, to next year is a motive behind these changes.

1 minute ago, TestPattern said:

They currently teach AOL-Time Warner in every MBA program, at this current moment, they might as well package literally every WB merger outside of their merger with Tuner.

Every WB merger in history has been bad, WB-Seven Arts, Kinney National, Time Inc, AOL Time Warner, AT&T Time Warner, and now Warner Bros Discovery. 

I can make the argument that Warners has not made a good outside deal since Jack Warner left in 1968.

BTW Seven Arts was not an merger, it was a spin off company created by Warners in the 1950's for tax purposes  when Warners decided to go into TV production big time. That did work out, it TV shows became very lucrative for Warners.

OK Kinney worked out long run OK because they picked up DC which has become it's most valuable asset but it was not a good deal at the time.

44 minutes ago, Eric the Genie said:

I dunno. Borys has his insider guys and he's very credible. Don't think he would exaggerate, and he must have at least some word.

If this is true then this is really sad. What happened to WB? They have made/continue to make some of the best movies in the industry. I can't see them NOT existing.

1 minute ago, cookieleeann said:

If this is true then this is really sad. What happened to WB? They have made/continue to make some of the best movies in the industry. I can't see them NOT existing.

People though the same way about Fox.

Hugh studios going under is not unheard of; back in the 50's no one thought RKO, which was a huge studio in the 30's and 40's could go bankrupt but it did. United Artist was one of the most powerful studios in Hollywood, but in the late 70's and early 80's it went to being  a minor studio and eventually just vanished.

As to what happened just basic bad business decisions. They overspent; the movies they overspent on did not do what Warners expected and now the loans they took out to finance those movies have come due. Bad for any business; to avoid going deep into debt is business school 1A stuff.

• Like 2