Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

That man quit his other job as a lead on one of Netflix's most popular shows and tried to strong-arm his way back to Superman.

Recasting him now would be hilarious and I'm 100% on board.

Gunn killed MoS2 because he’s a Witcher fan, true 12d

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm seriously amazed at the games Cavill is playing...and so publicly. He has lots of guts or a very bad manager

The Rock's ex-wife is his manager. I'm guessing she's also involved with last week's fake Deadline leak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

The Rock's ex-wife is his manager. I'm guessing she's also involved with last week's fake Deadline leak.

Very messy. I think Cavill is done as Superman. Gal Gadot has more leverage than him. I think she'll be back with a different director

52 minutes ago, excel1 said:

To be blunt, if they're actually even remotely considering moving from Cavill and Gadot, they're extremely foolish. 

To be honest, I think it's 50/50 with Cavill. If they bring him back, he'll need a major tonal rebrand to sell audiences who were lukewarm on Snyder's take. But you could also argue it would be less complicated to just recast so there's no baggage.

A complete reboot is illogical. Wonder Woman and Aquaman proved DC doesn't need a reboot to succeed. The Batman doing less than those movies also shows how hard it is to sell a reboot even with everything done right (it had insane online hype, critical acclaim, and celebrated director and cast). Imagine what happens if they reboot the DCEU with some less than stellar movies. It's a risky gamble that could cause much more damage to the brand than a bad Wonder Woman 3 and Man Of Steel 2.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

A complete reboot is illogical. Wonder Woman and Aquaman proved DC doesn't need a reboot to succeed. The Batman doing less than those movies also shows how hard it is to sell a reboot even with everything done right (it had insane online hype, critical acclaim, and celebrated director and cast). Imagine what happens if they reboot the DCEU with some less than stellar movies. It's a risky gamble that could cause much more damage to the brand than a bad Wonder Woman 3 and Man Of Steel 2.

The Batman still did pretty well considering that it's a reboot and that the box office landscape has changed because of covid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

New Puck Newsletter from Matt Belloni with fresh ALLEGATIONS 

• WB think The Rock leaked the fake Black Adam numbers to Deadline
  • Henry Cavill announced he's back as Superman without actually having a deal to return
  • Gadot put out that tweet as a pre-emptive strike

So, why did Gunn like the tweet?

Gunn is a blabbering idiot. No two ways about it. He has no clue clue how to behave in such position. He seems to be burning everything down. I'm not talking about the decision of cancelling and rebooting, that's fine if that's the creative decision to make, but this mayhem is happening, because he fails on the simply human approach and basic communication. Maybe he should seek advice from Clooney or watch UP IN THE Air lol

• Haha 1

If I am not mistaken the official WB and DC Comics twitter accounts also posted about Henry returning so that couldn't have been just him trying to drum up support, maybe Gunn/Safran don't want him but Luca/Abdy and clearly Zaslav signed off on it then

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

So, why did Gunn like the tweet?

A goodwill gesture?  I wouldn't put so much investment in what Gunn "Tweets" or doesn't "Tweet."  He's playing a delicate PR game, at this point.  

27 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

What fake Deadline leak?

Please read the PUCK report posted last page and catch up on the news!  But it should have been obvious to anyone following this whole debacle that THE ROCK plays his own game of PR moves...and that Deadline's "success" argument for BLACK ADAM was "highly suspect."

24 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

If I am not mistaken the official WB and DC Comics twitter accounts also posted about Henry returning so that couldn't have been just him trying to drum up support, maybe Gunn/Safran don't want him but Luca/Abdy and clearly Zaslav signed off on it then

The former could have happened with in-house support (someone look this up -- perhaps DC did?), but it's proven so far by all the trades that the latter (DeLuca/Abdy/Zaslav signing off on Cavill's social media) almost certainly did not happen.  They had to sign off on him coming back to shoot a couple cameos, of course...but it sounds like Cavill's IG post was ALL himself (likely with some hard nudging from D. Johnson and Garcia).  PUCK has confirmed *exactly* what I've been saying, that Cavill and Gadot's social media moves were on their own, intended to drum up support for their iteration of their characters.  They think "It worked for the ZSJL, why won't it work here?"  I don't think it will work this time.  

I was kind to Cavill over in the "speculative Man of Steel 2" thread but now I'm done, as it's basically confirmed that he's fighting his own game without the studio actually bringing him back formally.  No sympathy.  What a debacle!  

:hahaha:

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Gunn is a blabbering idiot. No two ways about it. He has no clue clue how to behave in such position. He seems to be burning everything down. I'm not talking about the decision of cancelling and rebooting, that's fine if that's the creative decision to make, but this mayhem is happening, because he fails on the simply human approach and basic communication. Maybe he should seek advice from Clooney or watch UP IN THE Air lol

How about we actually wait to see what they officially announce before labelling him a “blabbering idiot”. We know precisely nothing at the moment beyond rumours. The cast probably know a lot more about what’s happening going forward than they’re allowed to let on.

There’s no reason for Gunn/Safran to reveal their plans any earlier than they originally planned, and no, the “chaos” happening among fanboys on the internet isn’t a reason to move up announcement plans, especially if they aren’t firm plans anyway yet.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JWR said:

To be honest, I think it's 50/50 with Cavill. If they bring him back, he'll need a major tonal rebrand to sell audiences who were lukewarm on Snyder's take. But you could also argue it would be less complicated to just recast so there's no baggage.

It wouldn't make sense to recast one and not the other.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

How about we actually wait to see what they officially announce before labelling him a “blabbering idiot”. We know precisely nothing at the moment beyond rumours. The cast probably know a lot more about what’s happening going forward than they’re allowed to let on.

There’s no reason for Gunn/Safran to reveal their plans any earlier than they originally planned, and no, the “chaos” happening among fanboys on the internet isn’t a reason to move up announcement plans, especially if they aren’t firm plans anyway yet.

I don't think cast like Cavill or Gadot know anything about Gunn's plans, either, at this point... that is proven by their behavior!  😁  Agree with you on all the rest!  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Macleod said:

and that Deadline's "success" argument for BLACK ADAM was "highly suspect."

The Rock obviously leaked those numbers. The interesting question is if they're wrong. Sony's big Pay-1 deal with Netflix is insanely high (though also includes some library titles) and imply valuation of streaming rights as larger than old DVD revenue (even if that doesn't make conceptual sense). What's the actual streaming rights internal valuation?

15 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I was kind to Cavill over in the "speculative Man of Steel 2" thread but now I'm done, as it's basically confirmed that he's fighting his own game without the studio actually bringing him back formally.  No sympathy.  What a debacle!  

Isn't this something that's been on the backburner for a while? Cavill clearly rejected a desired 1 day cameo in Shazam due to this + witcher shooting logistics. I don't like to read rumors but I'd vaguely got the sense cavill wasn't really interested in stunts unless he was going to get a longer term commitment out of them. Seems like Black Adam was an x% shot to get it.  

5 hours ago, AJG said:

New Puck Newsletter from Matt Belloni with fresh ALLEGATIONS 

• WB think The Rock leaked the fake Black Adam numbers to Deadline
  • Henry Cavill announced he's back as Superman without actually having a deal to return
  • Gadot put out that tweet as a pre-emptive strike

This is nuts. I was operating on the assumption that if Cavill put out a social media post like that, that the deal was already wrapped up with WB behind the scenes.

@MacleodMy apologies. This is clearly what you were getting at before when you said this was just a Cavill thing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

I don't think cast like Cavill or Gadot know anything about Gunn's plans, either, at this point... that is proven by their behavior!  😁  Agree with you on all the rest!  

Cavill is way out of any sort of contract at this point, so really he doesn’t have any real right to know what’s happening. Likewise with Gadot and The Rock, unless they signed multi picture deals. I can understand Gadot being annoyed about being kept in the dark since she was previously announced as coming back for WW3, but that film falling apart has more to do with Patty Jenkins walking away. I’d be shocked if Gadot didn’t come back though, whatever you thought of WW84, she’s pretty much universally beloved in the role. Cavill and The Rock, not so much.

The fact that WB/Gunn/Safran were even entertaining the idea of a third Jenkins film, and then apparently gave her the option of rewriting, says to me that this version of Wonder Woman will be back.