Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Obviously some don't fully grasp that they mean it when they say they have to make tough decisions. The company is serious issues thanks to the all-time terrible run of Sarnoff and co. Zaslav isn't here to play games. Have to respect his need to duo serious things. 

28 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Obviously some don't fully grasp that they mean it when they say they have to make tough decisions. The company is serious issues thanks to the all-time terrible run of Sarnoff and co. Zaslav isn't here to play games. Have to respect his need to duo serious things. 

A large chunk of the debt the company is in is because of the merger. Discovery was pretty much the only company dumb enough to actually accept AT&T’s offer to buy WB. 

On 2/24/2023 at 8:52 AM, Jonwo said:

WB and NL are releasing the LOTR anime so new live action films was always inevitable. There is a lot of material which can be turned into films that is solely from the Third Age.

Not really, there aren't many stories outside of Hobbit/Lord of the Rings that are complete narratives with fully fleshed out characters and dialogue.  Lord of the RIngs does not lend itself well to the modern model of endless franchising in film, in order to do it you have to make most of it up or just ignore it all together like Amazon!

Lord of the Rings is fundamentally about death, reconciling oneself to loss, and the passing of all known things which makes it grimly hilarious that its going to be vivisected and pulled apart to for endless franchise content for another few decades in service of the tiktok generation.   Don't ask questions, just consume.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

A large chunk of the debt the company is in is because of the merger. Discovery was pretty much the only company dumb enough to actually accept AT&T’s offer to buy WB. 

The existing debts were still huge but really referring to the state of their IP. 

I don't think Zaslve is going a good job of running Warners, but anybody taking over as CEO would soon get as much hate because he would have to make cuts just as deep as Zaslev's though he might make then in different places.

When you get in Debt trouble this big, bad things are going to happen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

I feel so blessed to be the only person who hasn't seen a single second of Euphoria. :cloud9:

Right there with you. Probably the primary reason I still have no idea who Sydney Sweeney is beyond her having a MAGA family

The Weeknd's response to all of this:

The cringe lmao. That clip definitely feels like the product of the hack who gave us that inane critics rant in Malcolm & Marie.

I'm gonna be shocked if the upcoming third season of Euphoria isn't the last one even if they pull a Succession and announce it right before the season airs with its not dissimilar reports of on-set hostility. I don't know how much longer the series could realistically go on for anyway, especially when it's only becoming increasingly difficult to buy the stars as teenagers and the insane amount of time that passes between the release of each season (it'll be at least five years since the first season aired by the time the third eventually does).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Weeknd's response to all of this:

The cringe lmao. That clip definitely feels like the product of the hack who gave us that inane critics rant in Malcolm & Marie.

I'm gonna be shocked if the upcoming third season of Euphoria isn't the last one even if they pull a Succession and announce it right before the season airs with its not dissimilar reports of on-set hostility. I don't know how much longer the series could realistically go on for anyway, especially when it's only becoming increasingly difficult to buy the stars as teenagers and the insane amount of time that passes between the release of each season (it'll be at least five years since the first season aired by the time the third eventually does).

oof that entire scene felt like a bad parody of Succession 

The more I think about the fact that WBD expects Lord of the Rings to be their answer to Star Wars, the more pathetic and cynical the whole thing comes across. I know Hollywood generally doesn’t like taking risks, especially not nowadays, but come on, a LotR expanded universe? Could you be anymore desperate? 

Everything I’ve been hearing about how David Zaslav is trying to run the company has made it clear that the man has a serious case of Disney envy, and I can’t decide if that’s hilarious or sad. 

• Like 1

From yesterday, but still more turmoil over at WB:

Deadline link

EXCLUSIVE: HBO Max‘s Dune prequel TV series’ long journey to the screen is taking another turn. Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), which started production in late November, is undergoing a creative shift, a director change and a recasting.

Chernobyl executive producer Johan Renck, who had signed on to direct the first two episodes, has exited the project. Search is underway for his replacement as production has been put on hold. Shirley Henderson, who had been tapped as one of the leads, also is leaving. Her role as Tula Harkonnen will be recast. That is in addition to creator Diane Ademu-John, who had written the pilot script, stepping down as co-showrunner in the run-up to production, with veteran TV writer-producer Alison Schapker becoming sole showrunner of the Legendary-produced series.

“As Dune: The Sisterhood (wt) has entered a pre-scheduled hiatus, there are some creative changes being made to the production in an effort to create the best series possible and stay true to the source material,” an HBO Max spokesperson said in a statement to Deadline. “Johan Renck has completed his work on the series and a new director will be brought on; through mutual agreement, Johan is moving on to pursue other projects. Additionally, Shirley Henderson will be exiting the series and will no longer be playing Tula Harkonnen.”

The streamer had no further comment. According to sources, the 11th hour showrunner change put pressure on Schapker and her team to make major rewrites on the fly as the series was beginning production in Budapest. Meanwhile, we hear Renck’s auteur approach did not jibe with the streamer’s vision for the series and was a departure from the look of Denis Villeneuve’s films, which led to his departure. (He has since deleted any Dune content from his Instagram account, including his Nov. 22 post announcing start of production.) It is unclear whether any of the footage he filmed will be used in the series; that would be largely up to the new director when they come on board.

We hear conflicting views on the current hiatus. While sources close to the production insist there had always been a plan to stop filming for the winter months, others indicate that production has been pushed by seven months to give Schapker and her team time to put their creative stamp by reworking the scripts as well as to find a new director.

It is unclear whether Henderson’s departure is related to the creative changes, Renck’s exit or the new start of production but we hear the delay is wreaking havoc on actors’ schedules, creating potential conflicts that may lead to more exits and recastings.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

From yesterday, but still more turmoil over at WB:

Deadline link

On TV shows, I trust HBO to not let anything very subpar make it to air. They have been willing to reshoot the entire GoT pilot and cancel the other GoT spinoff because it didn't meet their standards.

• Like 1