Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, there wasn't any guarantee that Radcliffe/Watson/Grint/the other child actors would stick around for the whole series when they were cast back in 2000 either (heck, one of the bombshells in that reunion special was that Watson wanted to leave the franchise at one point) and look what ended up happening there. That said, the people behind the movies were in a different position than those behind this series since they didn't know when the first movie was given the green light how the story would ultimately end (only the first three books out of the seven had been published when Sorcerer's Stone was given the go-ahead, with the rest being written/released as the movie series was ongoing), so all it would've taken was for one of those to collapse and render the possibility of any recasting scenarios moot.

Also, 10 year commitments on TV shows are pretty common. GoT cast the Stark kids knowing they would be important down the line and hoping the actors would measure up - with decidedly mixed results at the end but nothing downright bad.

Even in sitcoms, you had Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen be on Full House for close to a decade alongside the other kid actors as well.

It's pretty much a common thing on shows which we have forgotten since shows rarely run that long anymore.

10 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Regardless of what you think of J.K. Rowling, you do have to feel bad for any child actor who gets involved in this. They won’t know what they’re in for. 

Leave it to the Twitter activists to have such brain dead takes. Think they need to get out more honestly.

This is going to be Hogwarts Legacy all over again!  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Also, 10 year commitments on TV shows are pretty common. GoT cast the Stark kids knowing they would be important down the line and hoping the actors would measure up - with decidedly mixed results at the end but nothing downright bad.

Even in sitcoms, you had Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen be on Full House for close to a decade alongside the other kid actors as well.

It's pretty much a common thing on shows which we have forgotten since shows rarely run that long anymore.

The difference is whoever is cast as the Harry Potter kids are in principle roles, filming several hours worth of scenes every year. They would have to allocate more time to the production of that series than the GOT kids (who shot maybe less than 2 hours a season at one point. One child also had a year break to study for exams), and the original HP kids.

Sure, there's kids that lead sitcoms but they can shoot those relatively quickly. I dont think we've ever seen a show that would require this much of a commitment from a child, there's Stranger Things but that's scheduled really sporadically.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Also, 10 year commitments on TV shows are pretty common. GoT cast the Stark kids knowing they would be important down the line and hoping the actors would measure up - with decidedly mixed results at the end but nothing downright

Also Stanger Things production will take a decade.

15 hours ago, TMP said:

a franchise which just had the highest grossing video game of the year and a billion dollar theme park is not tainted. You always have so much weird performative concern over this stuff lmao 

I'll again flag morning consult actually did the sensible thing and just...polled people on this subject and published the results.

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-uploads/2022/04/13134209/2204053_crosstabs_MC_ENTERTAINMENT_HARRY_POTTERJK_ROWLING_Adults_v1_SH.pdf

Just ask people if they have boycotted or are considering boycotting it along with opinions on Rowling/controversy. 

So regards to them changing their streaming service name....why? I didn't like the name HBO Max much but I've gotten used to it, and now have to get used to calling it Max.

Can this company actually make a decision that people like for a change? Well I guess that decision was hiring James Gunn to run DC. One or two good decisions per year seems to be the course for studios these days. 

Just now, clockwork said:

So regards to them changing their streaming service name....why? I didn't like the name HBO Max much but I've gotten used to it, and now have to get used to calling it Max.

Can this company actually make a decision that people like for a change? Well I guess that decision was hiring James Gunn to run DC. One or two good decisions per year seems to be the course for studios these days. 

Probably because HBO is widely associated with prestige projects and they don't want to diminish it with all the trashy Reality TV product found on Discovery+ that will be heavily featured now as part of this move. :lol:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, El Gato said:

Leave it to the Twitter activists to have such brain dead takes. Think they need to get out more honestly.

This is going to be Hogwarts Legacy all over again!  

We already went over this, but once again, the question isn’t whether or not the show is doomed to fail. It’s that the child actors who get involved in this might not realize what they’re getting themselves into. I’m not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp, but a thing can be successful and controversial at the same time. 

I can't really claim to be interested in this Harry Potter show when the movies are already a pretty definitive adaptation of the source material, but I'm mostly curious as to what the cast ends up being like since it's clear no one from the films will be involved. Even without JK widely being considered persona non grata these days, the list of British veterans who weren't in the movies isn't exactly a long one (and the ones that weren't are probably outside whatever the budget for this will be). 

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

That really grubby looking Suicide Squad game (from the people behind the brilliant Arkham games) is being delayed from next month to next year.

That reveal they did really hurt them.

This has gotten ridiculous. That initial Fandome teaser was from all the way back in 2020. 

6 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I'll again flag morning consult actually did the sensible thing and just...polled people on this subject and published the results.

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-uploads/2022/04/13134209/2204053_crosstabs_MC_ENTERTAINMENT_HARRY_POTTERJK_ROWLING_Adults_v1_SH.pdf

Just ask people if they have boycotted or are considering boycotting it along with opinions on Rowling/controversy. 

My take away from that survey is that it seems 50% of people don't want more Harry Potter, regardless of their opinions of Rowling.

41 minutes ago, AJG said:

That really grubby looking Suicide Squad game (from the people behind the brilliant Arkham games) is being delayed from next month to next year.

That reveal they did really hurt them.

lol they saw the new Zelda trailer and realized they were fucked

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:51 AM, WittyUsername said:

If that’s true, then they are running a damn circus over there. 

WarnerMax would absolutely make more sense than just MAX by itself. It just sounds better. "It's on Warner" points you to a place where visual media is available to watch. "It's on MAX" could mean anything: a rock radio station? A description of the current volume level? A colloquial description of the events of a show?

They could easily add WB branding to their existing assets and programming to reinforce the familial(?) connection between them and hint that WarnerMax would be the place where they streamed.

A podcast i heard theorised that WBD don't really want to tie down the Discovery stuff to the 'Warner' brand just in case there's a spin-off or sale in the future, thus making the split easier to manage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

WarnerMax would absolutely make more sense than just MAX by itself. It just sounds better. "It's on Warner" points you to a place where visual media is available to watch. "It's on MAX" could mean anything: a rock radio station? A description of the current volume level? A colloquial description of the events of a show?

They could easily add WB branding to their existing assets and programming to reinforce the familial(?) connection between them and hint that WarnerMax would be the place where they streamed.

A podcast i heard theorised that WBD don't really want to tie down the Discovery stuff to the 'Warner' brand just in case there's a spin-off or sale in the future, thus making the split easier to manage. 

I didn’t believe it at first, but the theory that Zaslav bought WB just so he could eventually sell it is looking more and more plausible. 

To think this whole mess started because BvS underperformed. 

Edited by WittyUsername

16 hours ago, AJG said:

To make the confusion worse, HBO/Warner owns the CineMAX group of movie channels on cable TV. So branding an app that has other content as “MAX” could easily be misunderstood by consumers as just an app for CineMAX. I still think “Warner Discovery” was the correct way to go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The WBD hate on here is quite amusing. 

Not surprising considering there's a 50% chance Zaslav is running a grift scheme to siphon off as much money as he can as CEO before selling WB off to Comcast or whoever. How many of these announced projects are actually going to see the light of day or are they just all smoke and mirrors for the shareholders and the media?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1